Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People are talking strikers, but surely it's a defender we need instead?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
With a goal difference of -21, we're better only than Rotherham. So if it goes to the wire, it could well be our gd that sends us down.

Should we forget looking for a striker and shore up the back instead?

Thoughts please...

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I don't think so, we just need to use the players we've got better. Virgs is missed at the back, and we were badly missing a spare man to sweep last night.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Repugnant Toad said:
I don't think so, we just need to use the players we've got better. Virgs is missed at the back, and we were badly missing a spare man to sweep last night.
We're in such a strange situation. One of our best defenders is actually our top scorer. Talk about upside down!

sneakychef

Oct 28, 2004
Stroud Green
It's not exactly been the tightest defence in the last two games has it? What with conceding 9 goals and all.

With Cullip gone, what if Butters got injured? (Frantically touching wood) Would the FA let us save some time and just give the points of our last games away?

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
eastlondonseagull said:
With a goal difference of -21, we're better only than Rotherham. So if it goes to the wire, it could well be our gd that sends us down.

Should we forget looking for a striker and shore up the back instead?

Thoughts please...

But we already have a good one who cannot get in the team in that position! His name is Adam Virgo. ???

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I reckon the weakness is midfield. We totally lost control there yesterday.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought Wigan played some really good stuff, and a lot of that came through midfield.

I certainly think that if we allow teams to open up vast areas in the midfield we are looking for trouble.

I thought Charlie's passing was woeful last night, but we should not have to rely on his passing..he is a "spoiler" in midfield. Nicholas and hammond are the passers of the team, Nicholas is not playing particularily well at the moment and when Hammond came on, we looked far more of a threat.

I know what people say about the defence, but we have defenders in the club who should do a job...Butters, Hinc, Mayo, El Abd, Reid, Watson, Virgo - and some of the youngsters.

Up front, we have McCammon, Knight, Hart, Jakey, Jones ( if pushed)

Rusco on the train reconed play 4 across the back with Virgs in front of Tank and Hinch. That seems quite sensible, especially if we are looking to stop Reading scoring!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
dave the gaffer said:
Rusco on the train reconed play 4 across the back with Virgs in front of Tank and Hinch. That seems quite sensible, especially if we are looking to stop Reading scoring!

I'd rather play them as a three, as they complement each other quite nicely; Butters and Virgo attacking the ball, superb in the air, left and right footed respectively, and Hinsh sweeping up behind with his pace and good reading of the game.

We have got to get back to five at the back, that extra man has got to be Virgo. Yes, he was a handful upfront (some of the time) but we need to stop leaking goals.

However, as someone else said earlier, the real problem came from midfield where we were annonymous until Hammond came on.

I think we must go 5:3:2

Shabaan

Reid
Hinsh
Virgo
Butters
Harding

Oatway
Nicolas
Hammond

Knight
McCammon

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'd like to see Watson at RB and Reid brought into midfield. We should play Hammond in place of Nicholas for the next 2 games and then get Chippy back.

Tom the Croc

Oct 12, 2004
Brighton - where else?
From what I have seen recently its everything but a striker we need. Shaaban is no Michel, the defence is far weaker as a flat 4, and our midfield has been woeful for some time in terms of ability. Surely these must be priorities should McGhee make signings?!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
i think we need a very creative player who can play in defence or midfield so mm can have an extra option if a midfielder or a defender is out, by the way who was it in d-block shouting virgs should be in defence?:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here