Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Penalties

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interested to read today that in training, Ivan Toney practices all his penalties from 13 yards instead of 12 so that psychologically, when it comes to the real thing, it feels slightly easier. Genius, or dangerous ?

YOU decide.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interested to read today that in training, Ivan Toney practices all his penalties from 13 yards instead of 12 so that psychologically, when it comes to the real thing, it feels slightly easier. Genius, or dangerous ?

YOU decide.
I'd say NO, on the following logic:

The angles become different (slightly narrower from further out). If you practice 100 penalties from 13 yards, placing them just inside the post, then that same kick of the ball, repeated from 12 yards, will see the ball enter the goal a foot or two inside the post - and thus more saveable.

But, Toney's record is ridiculously good, so who is anyone to question his methods.?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The angles become different (slightly narrower from further out). If you practice 100 penalties from 13 yards, placing them just inside the post, then that same kick of the ball, repeated from 12 yards, will see the ball enter the goal a foot or two inside the post - and thus more saveable.

But, Toney's record is ridiculously good, so who is anyone to question his methods.?
I initially thought NO using the same logic, but frankly we're clearly wrong as it works for Toney.

And I doubt Beckham placed the ball in exactly the same spot when practicing taking free kicks from outside the area which is probably relevant in so far as I'm not sure you get any better at pens by only practising from exactly right place. :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

This mirrors my thoughts.

In theory you'd think the changing of angles would potentially screw up the muscle-memory when it comes to accurate placement. But then he has such a unique method in that he stares the keeper down during the whole process, not even looking at the ball, before seemingly deciding which way to strike according to the keepers movement during his run-up. Its clearly something that just works for him.

Of course now I've brought it up, we all know what happens next. :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Another interesting aspect is how long England players now take after the referee's whistle before beginning their run-up.

Previously we've apparently had the lowest average of any country in shootouts, just 0.28 seconds. This has now changed. Against the Swiss, Toney (swiss Toney :) )waited 7 seconds, TAA 6.5 seconds, and Saka a full 8 seconds. Just using a moment to take a breath has been producing results. Good to see the small details and psychology that has been going into giving us that slightly better chance.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's similar to when the England batsmen practiced with thinner bats 5 or so years ago.

The effect of which left some wondering which bat it was they had bought out into the middle

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Another interesting aspect is how long England players now take after the referee's whistle before beginning their run-up.

Previously we've apparently had the lowest average of any country in shootouts, just 0.28 seconds. This has now changed. Against the Swiss, Toney (swiss Toney :) )waited 7 seconds, TAA 6.5 seconds, and Saka a full 8 seconds. Just using a moment to take a breath has been producing results. Good to see the small details and psychology that has been going into giving us that slightly better chance.
If you've seen Dear England, this comes up in the play!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

It's a long way from frantically asking players who've never taken before if they fancy one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you've seen Dear England, this comes up in the play!
No, I haven't seen it. Its not something I'd ever picked up on till I read about it in the last week or so.
Got to give Southgate his dues, we've won 3 out of 4 shootouts under him so far. Small details can help make such a difference.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea

Maybe he practices brushing the outside of the post from 13 years knowing it will be the inside of the post from 12 yards 😂

But that no looking at the ball is another level mind games.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

YOU decide.
Just to engage slightly more seriously for a moment, it does (having drawn it out on software that's definitely intended for this purpose) work out to losing almost exactly a foot on each side if you take the penalty from an extra yard back.

I'd have thought that the benefits of feeling more settled and confident outweigh the risk of your muscle memory playing up - if you're inside the post by a foot it's pretty much unsaveable even if the goalie goes the right way.

Reactions: SAC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here