Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalties-Should they be dropped completely while technology catches up

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The penalty situation at the moment is a complete joke. I should think 90% of the penalties I see on the telly are refereeing mistakes or clever deception by increasingly expert cheating players. The latest thing being the subtle movement toward the defenders leg by the trailing foot. They just have to be practing this and the refs have no chance. Considering what massive game-changers they are wouldn't it be good if they were dropped completely for a trial period

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The penalty situation at the moment is a complete joke. I should think 90% of the penalties I see on the telly are refereeing mistakes or clever deception by increasingly expert cheating players. The latest thing being the subtle movement toward the defenders leg by the trailing foot. They just have to be practing this and the refs have no chance. Considering what massive game-changers they are wouldn't it be good if they were dropped completely for a trial period

So all fouls would go unpunished in the box? Hmmm.

Tux the albion Penguin

Resident Linux User
Sep 2, 2011
STADIO DE LA AMEX
Would you prefer it to be more like Hockey where someone has to take a Free kick in this case outside the box?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Why is the result of every football match so important that every decision has to be spot on? Is it just money or something else? Before we had every major game televised and analysed, people accepted dodgy decisions as part of the game. Why not anymore?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why is the result of every football match so important that every decision has to be spot on? Is it just money or something else? Before we had every major game televised and analysed, people accepted dodgy decisions as part of the game. Why not anymore?

agree with this although I also agree that players are definitely becoming more skilled at looking for penalties

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

Problem is that so many matches are decided by dodgy refereeing decisions these days

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Problem is that so many matches are decided by dodgy refereeing decisions these days

I believe that the number of games being decided by dodgy refereeing decisions is the same as it always was - we just see them all now because of wall to wall TV coverage.
I think that instead of using the technology to berate the referees, they should use it to stop the players cheating to get penalties.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
get a panel of experts to review video footage of the penalty after the game. If it's absolutely clear that the player dived then he is banned for a month.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
get a panel of experts to review video footage of the penalty after the game. If it's absolutely clear that the player dived then he is banned for a month.

Pretty rare it is absulutely clear though, plenty of scope for appeals which would be a mess.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I kind of agree with the OP though, the number of times where a player throws himself to the ground whilst making contact with his trailing leg is ridiculous, and the TV pundits always pore over the footage for the slightest contact, and if they find it its DEFINITELY A PENALTY AND RED CARD!!!!!!!!!!

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I would like to see a rule introduced whereby in order for a penalty to be awarded the player must make every effort to stay on his feet - otherwise we will be in a situation where players try to draw fouls like in basketball - which is a non contact sport. Football on the otherhand is a contact sport.

Also - in Soccernomics - the authors demonstrate that penalties make no statistically significant difference to the results of games (based on 1520 Premier League games from 2002-2006). So maybe we shouldn't get so worked up about them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I should think 90% of the penalties I see on the telly are refereeing mistakes or clever deception by increasingly expert cheating players

i reckon your whole premise is flawed as this is a figure you've made up. i would suggest that its closer the other way round, nearer to 10% of penalties are mistakes or cheating. its just that the TV pundits pour over the suspicious, half seen, potentially erroneous decisions, so giving the perception of them being common. there was a statistic in the last week on the number of incorrect freekicks, offsides, penalties, and it was surprising on review how right referees are (i cnat recall the exact number).

however, there are those that cheat, and the very simple way to deal with this is to allow retrospective yellow/red cards to be awarded by the ref on review of the incident after the game. diving for a penalty should be a straight red (so 3 game ban), diving for a free kick two yellows (so a 1 game ban). that would cut it right out, and could be applied at all levels of the professional game with a few digital cameras at each game.

im afraid we will just have to live mistakes. the game would be ruined by any sort of in game TV review, only goal line technology with instant signal would be acceptable.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham

Are you actually being serious?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was listening to the guardian football podcast and they have suggested Refs should be allowed to give penalties and book players for simulation for the same incident. Such as those in the Scotland/Czech match, where there was contact, but the players went down so easily and made it look worse than it really was.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

And maybe we should only allow a goal if it hits the back of the net until the goal line technology is brought in.

:facepalm:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Bring in TV replays for top flight games and allow retrospective punishments for diving.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What about for penalties that are awarded but NOT like that Bournemouth game last year. Which STILL gets me angry when I think about it even now.

Can we all take turns and kick the officials in the bollox 50 times? That would be a suitable punishment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here