Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC or Apple

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
30 years ? Like mine ? I rather doubt it. Why do you think that very few companies buy Macs anymore, even for graphics where Macs traditionally excel ?

Yah boo sucks.

Look, as my original thread said, I use Macs because they actually work with long documents. After years of trying to get Word for PCs to work with long documents, being forced to reformat, alter my paragraph breaks and so on just to make it work, I discovered the pleasures of a computer which meant I could write what I liked, and in the way I wanted it to be.

I also pointed out that for some tasks, PCs are better. Just not for any of the ones I use ... and not, (most of) my friends in music and film-making say, for any of the ones they use.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Whatever, the original post from Bozza was asking what was the better bet. Purly on price alone the PC is better. The advantages, such as they are, of a Mac are mininmal to say the least. The disadvantages are another matter.

There are very few occasions where a Mac will justify it's extra cost, that was the thrust of the original post.

If you're happy with you Mac that's fine.

And my point about the savings that can be made on buying Macs was intended to show that the price differential can be wiped out by manipulating their systems (e.g. using the HE discount) i.e. it doesn't have to justify any extra cost!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Pointless carrying this on as you don't seem to know that any discount you can get on a Mac can be got on other types of hardware.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
bhaexpress said:
30 years ? Like mine ? I rather doubt it. Why do you think that very few companies buy Macs anymore, even for graphics where Macs traditionally excel ?

No, no, no. Any design company worth its salt steers clear of PCs as the industry is very much geared to Macs. Use a PC in print and publishing (with the exception possibly of writing articles), and you will get howls of derision and exasperation.

However, by the sound of what Bozza is after, a PC (if only for cost alone) would probably suit him fine. The argument about reliability etc is along the same lines as 'how reliable is your car?' One person could have a perfectly OK Vauxhall, and the next person's Vauxhall would be a 'turkey'.

My experience is that all machines go wrong eventually. Our PC at home is a donkey. The Macs we use at work are the dog's bollocks. Yet stories on here are the other way round. THAT'S why its kind of a pointless argument, really.

Last edited:

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Nothing wrong with Macs.

I've been thinking of purchasing a 17" Powerbook, so I decided to pop into the local Apple store here in Tokyo and have a browse.

Got talking to one of the assistants who proceeds to demonstrate what I could do compared with Windows. He also showed me accessories and software that are available, e.g Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, MS Office

I've now decided that I'm going to wait until Apple launch the Powerbook with the G5 chip, which will probably be an awesome machine.

Reasons:

1) UNIX based OS - Stability guaranteed.
2) GUI looks better than Windows.
3) 17" Monitor.
4) SuperDrive - Create your own DVD's.
5) Airport Wireless.

:thumbsup:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The problem is that Mac users will defend their machines with a near religious zeal. It's almost like a nerdy cult who think they are somehow bucking the evil Intel/Microsoft monopoly and making a strike for freedom. But mostly they are cutting their noses off to spite their faces.
Buying a PC with give you near unlimited options on everything, from hardward configuration to physical appearance to software and peripherals. You want the fastest DVD burner on the market? You can chose from half a dozen on with a PC. You want video editing software? Chose from dozens of packages. You want a 17" monitor? Knock yourself out, there are hundreds available (even on laptops). You want wireless? There are dozens of solutions out their and you can pick the one thats right for you. You want a wireless mouse and keyboard (even bluetooth)? Take you pick, there are plenty to chose from. You want a bright blue case with flashing lights on it? You can find it. Why bother with a Mac where you pay more and end up tied into a pitful selection of hardware, software and peripherals? I guess 'cos you're really going to be showing Bill Gates and his lot what for.
What I could never understand is how the hell Mac users get anything done with only one poxy mouse button. I have two buttons and a scroll wheel as the absolute minimum for a mouse to be even remotely useful. Once you use a scroll wheel, you'll never go back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here