Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC or Apple

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
bhafc99 said:
Macs look better, run better and avoid viruses better (almost all of which are aimed at PCs and Windows). Unless you want something totally obscure in terms of software, cross-compatability is NOT a problem. If you want to do anything at all creative_– photo manipulation, music etc – Mac utterly trounces PC, and is used by absolutely everybody in creative industries (graphic, film, music etc).

PCs are better if you want to run spreadsheets, accountancy packages, build large networks and so on. Zzzzz.

True but there are network connectivity issues with Macs, try putting one a Lan. Also, try using one witha PDA. Oh, while you're at it try finding someone who can fix it.

The current PCs are no more suseptable to Virus attacks than a Mac providing you have a firewall and antivirus software, neither of which are expensive to but. You're also limited on the matter of peripherals (not just PDAs). I'm no gamer but you're very limited with the Mac there.

They really aren't worth extra cost as their limitations only become apparent went you try to connect to another computer or transfer data. If you want a fancy looking machine that doesn't connect to anything other than the internet you might want to pay the extra for a Mac. The old stories of Mac being more reliable than PCs is now a falicy, PCs are just as reliable especially if you use Microsoft Certificated peripherals (As found in Dell and HP).

Macs look better ? Depends what PC you buy but that would influence my choice one iota. Macs run better ? Nope, a good PC with XP will compete easily with a Mac but will cost less.

Last edited:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
bhaexpress said:
True but there are network connectivity issues with Macs, try putting one a Lan. Also, try using one witha PDA. Oh, while you're at it try finding someone who can fix it.

My mum uses a Mac on a LAN, uses a pda with her Mac and has someone to fix it when it goes wrong. Piece of piss!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I always considered Macs for the more discerning arty types - as I was crap at art I've stuck with PCs.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Macs are absolutely great. Right now I'm writing this on the internet with not a single wire connected to it at broadband speed. Networking is infinetley more simple than with PCs, as is getting them on the internet in the first place. They are great for graphics, design etc. and can do regular PC tasks just as well as PCs. Also, contrary to most beliefs quite a lot of games are available, try www.feral.co.uk (Championship manager!:clap:) ans www.aspry.com to name just two publishers

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
the full harris said:
well you are either unlucky or stupid!!

Not always, given my not inconsiderable experience of PC and Mac support I disagree that Mac are more reliable than modern (Windows 2000/XP) PCs. When Macs go wrong (which they do) they're sods to fix.

Also, I question what sort of a LAN a Mac will go on. Appltalk ? Well, so I would hope. Novell or Microsoft ? Not much chance. Macs are easier to use ? A moot point, it depends what you're used to. When it boils down to it it's hard to justify the extra expense of a Mac which is why few corporates use them now.

Oh, incidentally please point me in the general direction of of Mac powered application packages for things like accounting or stock taking. Also, show me a decent web conferencing package.

My main desktop and my lap top, whilst not being state of the art hardware (Mrs BHA has a new desktop) all run XP. I can't remember the last time either of us had a failure and that's about 20 months for me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with BHA Express on this. There's little to choose between the two when they're working (Macs are more expensive but look better, PCs are more susceptible to viruses and that's about it) but when they go wrong, as machines do, there's a huge difference.

I used to have a Mac but scrapped it some years ago as I was just so fed up with getting an engineer to fix faults. If something goes wrong with the PC, 99% of the time it's fixable.

I had my Mac for five years and it had to go for repair four times, in the last 10 years, I've had two PCs and a laptop and, in total, they've had to go for a repair once (and that was because I'd dropped a bookcase on the laptop and buggered up the keboard).

All my friends who have Macs seem to have problems with them occasionally: PCs are about 100 times more reliable.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hmmm, I dunno about 100 times more reliable. Older PCs and software are a bit wank, there's no disputing that. But, when PCs go wrong they are easier to fix and you have far more options on hardware.

My biggest issue with the Mac is the cost, I really don't see the point of paying more for a new Mac when a New PC gives you so many more options apart from the cost.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
bhaexpress said:
Hmmm, I dunno about 100 times more reliable.

Hey, I'm a journalist. If it's worth hyping, it's worth hyping well.
:)

Even older PCs can be OK. I had an AT compatible that lasted me years.

But then, my colleagues and sit around in the office discussing what DOS we first used and which one was best. Are we sad or what?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yep, and to think that Prancing Whinger calls me a nerd !

On Mac prices:

find someone who is a student or lecturer at a UK Uni, and buy direct from Mac - you get a huge discount (same goes for al Mac products, inc. iPods). I also put my purchase through my parents' business and got the VAT back. So, I got about £1550-worth of kit for about £900.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Ive got a mate who fixes Macs, he's got tons of free software and said he can set up wan in my home, I'm in the same position as Bozza, want a home use laptop. I'll use it for music, writing and surfing, not remotely interested in gaming and I want to use it all over the house, would I be better getting a Dell or a lowend laptop like that or going for a powerbook? Everyone I know who's got Macs swears by them, as someone once said to me, "once you have Mac you never go back."?

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
fatbadger said:
On Mac prices:

find someone who is a student or lecturer at a UK Uni, and buy direct from Mac - you get a huge discount (same goes for al Mac products, inc. iPods). I also put my purchase through my parents' business and got the VAT back. So, I got about £1550-worth of kit for about £900.

Is that from mac.com or a british site?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
fatbadger said:
yeah, but it'd be shit. My £900 got a lot more than £900 spent on a PC would.

And you base that on what ? All I base myopinions on is my own lengthy experinece and technical knowledge.

Fact is Mac users don't like PCs and vice versa. The bottom line is that PCs are cheaper and more flexible.

Southy said:
Is that from mac.com or a british site?

If you go into the main Apple site, you can transfer into the right place. I can't quite remember how you do it - I think you have to go into the 'Education' option first, and then select the British store section; if not, it's into the British store section and then transfer to Education. Alternatively, just phone them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here