Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Scholes

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So thats so far:
Scholes, Beckham, Owen, Hesky, and Defoe who will be playing for the Albion next year. Thats an impressive team.

Can we have Glenn Hoddle as manager, just to complete the retro feeling?

Chris Waddle left Sheff Wed at age 35 and went on to play for Falkirk, Bradford, Burnley, Torquay, Worksop Town and Glapwell before hanging up his boots at age 41. I'm sure having played for Newcastle, Spurs, Sheff Wed and Marseille he was fairly minted.

Ian Wright joined Burnley at age 36 and helped them get promoted to Division One.

Do you want me to go on?

So you think Scholes might be on his way to us, huh Pavilionaire?
Perfectly feasible, yes why not. Owen, Scholes, Beckham - all feasible so I completely retract my previous post stating improbabilities for Scholes.

I'll just stick with :facepalm:, yes, :facepalm: for me too :lolol:

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
Well, everyone else is having a stupid transfer target thread, so why not.

I think he'd be a brilliant signing, and it would be a great move for him. Couple of years swansong after a superb career, we play it the right way for him, that bit of class we need, he's loaded so wages may not be a deal-breaker. Gus just has to sweet-talk him to being the conductor, he's not going to play much at United from now on.

Picture him pinging 50-yard balls out to Bennett on the wing...or even Owen on the move...

Yeah and then we can sign Gary Lineker on loan from walkers????

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So you think Scholes might be on his way to us, huh Pavilionaire?
Perfectly feasible, yes why not. Owen, Scholes, Beckham - all feasible so I completely retract my previous post stating improbabilities for Scholes.

I'll just stick with :facepalm:, yes, :facepalm: for me too :lolol:

No, as a matter of fact I DON'T think he'll be signing for us - I never said that I did. But you're an idiot if you think it's inconceivable players of his stature who are 35+ and want to carry on playing for the love of the game WOULDN'T sign for us.

If I could be bothered I daresay I could come up with several decent ex-international players aged c. 35 still at London clubs who, if they wanted to carry on playing, would consider the Albion under Gus Poyet.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The great Albion side that went up to the old second division in 77 and up again to the top flight in 79 should be the benchmark, and they didn't have any over-the-hill stars playing out the final few years of their careers, unless you count Chris Cattlin and Graham Cross (who was traded in part-exchange for Mark Lawrenson anyway). Better to pay the same money to players hungry to make their mark in the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here