Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Scholes

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well, everyone else is having a stupid transfer target thread, so why not.

I think he'd be a brilliant signing, and it would be a great move for him. Couple of years swansong after a superb career, we play it the right way for him, that bit of class we need, he's loaded so wages may not be a deal-breaker. Gus just has to sweet-talk him to being the conductor, he's not going to play much at United from now on.

Picture him pinging 50-yard balls out to Bennett on the wing...or even Owen on the move...

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
There's two f***ing threads you can post your little shit suggestions on, stop taking up the board with pathetic little threads.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4117367 said:
Nurse!???? If he doesn't completely retire this season he'll go to Oldham anyway, has said so on many occassions.

This.

Probably my ONLY fave Fergie quote from when Scholes was in his POMP.

Reporter : Are you worried about losing Scholes?

Fergie: Only if Oldham make a bid for him.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There's two f***ing threads you can post your little shit suggestions on, stop taking up the board with pathetic little threads.

I'm sensing a man/woman with issues here. Been dumped again, have we?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You cant really be surprised with that reply now can you Tooting?

I am actually. Anyone who gets that angry over this board (let alone that light-hearted post) is seriously disturbed, a real MENTALIST.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't mind discussing Paul Scholes as a player though. While his tackling has always been questionable, he never actually seriously injured anyone and was probably guilty of the old fashioned adage of getting one in early.

Personally, the greatest crime committed by Sven as England manager was marginalising Paul Scholes in favour of Lampard and Gerrard. Paul Scholes consistently has had a pass completion rate throughout his career in the mid 90%, whereas Lampard and Gerrard are often in the 80% range. He was one of the key performers in Hoddles side, and certainly the only England midfielder in a generation that could dictate the pace and rhythm of the England team.

Euro 04 infuriated me having him occupy some puesdo left midfield role while Lampard and Gerrard attempted a variety of Hollywood passes and generally gave the ball away, when it's retention, especially against France was paramount.

He'll be a great loss to football when he finally quits. Given the focus of a lot of threads on these boards, he's never had an agent, never publicly discussed a contract negotiation, never courted a move away from OT. A dedicated professional if ever you've wanted to meet one.

Let's get this ironed out for a moment shall we?

A PREM player who has been used to getting big trophies and over a quarter mil per month is;

a) not going to put his back out playing for a few thou.

b) has worked under Sir Ferguson, and anything he's instructed to do will be, to his mind, wrong. He will know better than our manager.

c) will curl his lip at the thought of turning up here to train, when his accountant's office will be a more profitable place to spend time, probably investing in real-estate.

d) these are different times to last century, when a retiring player might think it's charming to milk the last out of their hip and knee joints for the fans. Especially not a long-time successful player, like for a random example; Paul Scholes.

Otherwise, great thread, very amusing. :clap:

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
Outside the prem Scholes would be kicked out of the match, every match. It would be like having ten men within five minutes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
NMH - are you aware that Teddy Sheringham joined Colchester United in the Championship at age 41? And, ironically, he too played under Sir Alex Ferguson.

There are plenty of examples of rich top flight stars dropping down the leagues and playing for the love of the game. It happens less so nowadays because of the big money but there are still players who want to play for as long as they can.

Had we been in this position 4 years ago I fancy we'd have been in with a shout of signing Sheringham.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
So thats so far:
Scholes, Beckham, Owen, Hesky, and Defoe who will be playing for the Albion next year. Thats an impressive team.

NMH - are you aware that Teddy Sheringham joined Colchester United in the Championship at age 41? And, ironically, he too played under Sir Alex Ferguson.

There are plenty of examples of rich top flight stars dropping down the leagues and playing for the love of the game. It happens less so nowadays because of the big money but there are still players who want to play for as long as they can.

Had we been in this position 4 years ago I fancy we'd have been in with a shout of signing Sheringham.

Sheringham must have spunked his dosh on alimony and tarts and badly managed it. How long was he at Utd making top dosh?
Did he think of going into management via that move?
That was also some time back wasn't it? alright a matter of a few years - not everyone is going to stop playing after their Prem careers - but one exception more proves the rule for me.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Outside the prem Scholes would be kicked out of the match, every match. It would be like having ten men within five minutes.

One of the funniest comments I have read in a long, long time. Absolutely laughable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Chris Waddle left Sheff Wed at age 35 and went on to play for Falkirk, Bradford, Burnley, Torquay, Worksop Town and Glapwell before hanging up his boots at age 41. I'm sure having played for Newcastle, Spurs, Sheff Wed and Marseille he was fairly minted.

Ian Wright joined Burnley at age 36 and helped them get promoted to Division One.

Do you want me to go on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here