Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Party in full swing in London!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Liverpool Street Tube station has been shut for an hour after thousands of revellers descended on it to mark the last night of drinking on the Tube.

Drinking alcohol will be banned on much of London transport from midnight, and thousands marked the ban by gathering to drink in stations and on the Tube.

The station was closed from 2100 to 2200 to ease overcrowding, after about 2,000 people began partying there.

Across London, six people were arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

The ban on drinking from - or carrying - open containers of alcohol applies to the Tube, London buses, Docklands Light Railway and trams.

It was announced by London Mayor Boris Johnson shortly after he took office.

Many people celebrating the last night of legitimate drinking met at Liverpool Street Station's west-bound Circle Line platform at about 2030 BST.

Others crowded onto Circle Line trains, while police said Baker Street was another hotspot.

It's sweaty on there but I'm going round and round until I vomit

Londoner Matt Wynn, 43, a banker, said: "I've come along with a bottle of champagne because I want to show that you can drink responsibly on the Tube and not cause trouble.

"It's going to be a bit of a stop-start evening, though, because there are no toilets on the Tube."

Steve Nosworthy, 27, from Australia, said: "I've brought along this big crate of Carling and I'm going to go round and round all night - well, until 12 o'clock, when I'll probably get kicked off."

David Mudkips, 25, a web programmer from Hackney, described the experience on the train as: "Like rush hour but fun. There were people's sweaty armpits in my face but I didn't care because I was drinking."

Peter Moore, 35, a sailor from Brighton, described his night as: "Drunken, I just downed a can of beer in 10 seconds. It's sweaty on there but I'm going round and round until I vomit."

Bob Crow, general secretary of the RMT union which represents train drivers, previously called the partying "irresponsible".

But he also said the alcohol ban was "half-baked" and could put staff at greater danger of assault.

But Mr Johnson said he was determined to improve the safety and security of public transport in London.

He said the ban had the full support of the Metropolitan Police and British Transport Police.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How many people did you ever see drinking on the Tube in the first place? :shrug:

Anybody who attended is a Grade-A :tosser: - as the sad little news report above seems to suggest.

They'd do far better not letting retards with Big Macs disrespect their fellow travellers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There were people pissed up at half past eleven this morning on the Northern Line.

The tube is a daily thing for me and has been for years. You don't actually see people drinking on the tube very often to be honest. I've been going to college in the evenings since September have been traveling late home from central London on the tube three times a week including Fridays. I tend to drink in Clapham, nothing worse than getting pissed up in the West End and having to negotiate the tube.

What you see (especially on Fridays) is a lot of absolutely shit faced people, but very rarely any one drinking. So stopping drinking isn't going to change a thing.

So absolutely a useless piece of legislation. The danger is people who are unable to drink anymore, not those who are drinking.

Call me an old cynic, but what a sad state of affairs that so many people see this an excuse to go and shit faced on the tube.

Very weird, most of then will be on there to get home after getting pissed.

If you've actually got the spare time on a Saturday to get dressed up in fancy dress and get pissed up on public transport, I'd have thought they'd be so many more useful things you could do with your life.

Given the great weather today, what would be your choice ?

Have a few beers in the park or buy a travel card and ride round the central line like a sad wino.

Yep - anyone who attended this meaningless thing today was a grade A wanker as posted above. The week I've seen more people drinking on the tube that ever before in the 15 years I've lived here.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I never thought you were allowed to drink on the tube or buses any way

Yeah you could, but rarely see it as posted above - most people by the time they get on the tube or bus have had enough of drinking and want to get home (er... quite obviously Boris)

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
I must admit i was dreading my shift on the Picc Line yesterday, but it wasn't too bad at all, no major grief. Circle Line got clobbered though, 3 Outer Rail trains on the bounce got cancelled as they were covered in vomit and piss.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Several good reasons for a) banning drinking on the Tube, and b) not being on Facebook. Sigh.

n659355102_3093270_7476.jpg

n778134459_918944_943.jpg

n667450599_1271951_8909.jpg

n272901317_91234_8949.jpg

Hilarious, I'm sure.

Grizz, out of interest, what are "outer rail" trains?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I must admit i was dreading my shift on the Picc Line yesterday, but it wasn't too bad at all, no major grief. Circle Line got clobbered though, 3 Outer Rail trains on the bounce got cancelled as they were covered in vomit and piss.

The question remains, why not bring the ban in on a night the CIRCLE LINE was closed Boris???

I mean, it has been so much this year so it couldn't have been too hard to time. Circle line was always the one likely to be abused. I mean you have to be thick to use it in the first place..

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Outer Rails are the ones that go clockwise round the Circle. :eek:)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Funnily enough, I got on a Northern Line train from London Bridge last night, heading for a night out in Camden, and when the train pulled up all the carriages were full apart from one which was totally empty - except for a tramp who'd shat himself and fallen asleep.

At each stop, anyone who got on that carriage was wretching by the time they got to the next, and nearly everyone got off. Only a handful stuck it out, with hankies over their mouths and noses :lolol:

Poor sod.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here