Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Park and Ride

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I was told last night that the council are trying to turn Braypool sportsfeild into a carpark for the Park and Ride scheme. Does anyone know why they feel the need to have it here and why are they thinking of moving it from Withers?

Tarmacing over sports fields is very wrong and I believe it also may jepodise the RSPCA that are situated there as well !!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Zeitgeist said:
Subject of much debate locally. Also, is it not north of the bypass? ???

First I'd heard of it last night :ohmy:, but yes it is north of the bypass, does that matter ?

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
The council have been through a massive exercise to find a park and ride site for the City. The recommendation from thier consultants is that the two most cost effective and least contentious in terms of planning law are Patcham Court Farm and Braypool.

Next stage is further investigation and public consultation. I'm sure there is a link on the Council's web site but frankly I can't be bothered to find it.

REDLAND said:
First I'd heard of it last night :ohmy:, but yes it is north of the bypass, does that matter ?

The local written or un-written law of local planning has always been "no development north of the bypass" In the early days of the stadium saga, Bassam was adamant that there would never be a stadium at Waterhall for that reason. To me, tarmacing over playing fields constitutes development?!

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
The Green Party, of course, are objecting! Firstly they they don't you to use your car to go into town then they object to ways of trying to achieve that :sick:

Apparently the Withdean site isn't large enough.

There's just no VISION in our planning - a nice PLUSH east-west and north-south light rail to P+R sites would get people out of their cars. Fat chance. We'll just get a crummy bus.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This would be good news for us - as it would allow us to build the additional 2000 seats at Withdean.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sad day if it is,years of fantastic memories of Sunday league, not to mention Cricket, and trying to get your ball back on the A23, sorry not convinced that I would rather have 2000 extra seats that will only be filled when we are playing one of the big clubs than seeing yeat another part of Brightons sporting history destroyed.

Why dont they just build it on some Farmers field, its not like they grow anything these days.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
IF this requires space currently used for sporting facilities, surely the council will be obliged to replace them ??

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Titanic said:
IF this requires space currently used for sporting facilities, surely the council will be obliged to replace them ??
Erm, funnily enough I cant think of anywhere they COULD be replaced, no it will just be more grass roots sports that will suffer, expect to see the midweek/Sunday cricket leagues fold due to the nonsensical build up of fixture at the end of the season due to lack of facilities, hey but never mind a few hundred showboaters will get a seat at Withers a couple of times of year, so everything is OK ???

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
Titanic said:

The letter I have from local councillors is about the Policy & Resouces Committee to consider a report recommending Patcham Court Farm.

This will, apparently, require to demolish 6 houses (I'm sure not all are occupied), and will remove the (suddenly well used) allotments.

Its also south of the by-pass.

So I'm not sure Braypool is still in the running?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Rougvie said:
Sad day if it is,years of fantastic memories of Sunday league, not to mention Cricket, and trying to get your ball back on the A23, sorry not convinced that I would rather have 2000 extra seats that will only be filled when we are playing one of the big clubs than seeing yeat another part of Brightons sporting history destroyed.

Why dont they just build it on some Farmers field, its not like they grow anything these days.

:clap: :clap:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
We just need the P&R site because we need the revenue from the 2k extra seats... not understanding that, is not understanding our current financial constraints... and suggesting that these extra seats may not be filled too often is just plain daft... also, as far as I am aware, no representative of our club has said the extra seats proposal is linked to the Braypool proposal... :angry:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
b.w.2. said:
We just need the P&R site because we need the revenue from the 2k extra seats... not understanding that, is not understanding our current financial constraints... and suggesting that these extra seats may not be filled too often is just plain daft... also, as far as I am aware, no representative of our club has said the extra seats proposal is linked to the Braypool proposal... :angry:

No one can say if the seats will be filled or not. In the shittyness that is Withdean I would say some games yes, some no. However, I agree on the second part. As far as I am aware the park and ride is for the City in general, not the club.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
b.w.2. said:
Fair enough, just that some of us have many fond memories of Braypool, not quite in the same league at my memories of The Goldstone, but its been an integral part of my Summers and Winters for the past 10 years or so, if Brighton was flush for venues for grass roots sport then it wouldnt be a problem, as it isnt I cannot see a venue which can replace it.

Its only my opinion but the increasing lack of Sports facilities for ground roots and school sport in Sussex will only harm the Club in the long term, never mind tho at least the showboaters will get tickets for the odd West Ham game or the like, FAR more important than protecting grass roots sport.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
b.w.2. said:

You are confusing the issue. The Braypool proposal has nothing to do with our planning application.

It is the city council's plan to replace the main shoppers P & R at Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here