Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palarse in Europe

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
Just had a horrid thourght! Have the scum qualified for Europe next year all ready as Cardiff are not allowed as they are welsh, City are def top 4 and the scousers are more than likely top 6?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I believe that the runner up does not get a place in the Europa League if the winner has already qualified. As I understand things, this is only the case with the FA cup. Instead, the place will go to the next Premier League team in the pecking order at the end of the season.

Feel free to correct me if things have changed.

No, that would be a horrendously complicated way of allocating the space. In the League Cup, if the winners don't need the space (i.e. they qualify for either the Champions or Europa League through league position) then the place gets re-allocated to the next team in the league table (7th I think). In the FA Cup, if the winners don't need the space, it is given to the runners up (i.e. beaten finalists) and if they don't need it then again it is re-allocated to the next team in the league table.

edit: beaten to it by strings. In short, Palarse would need to win the League Cup to get into the Europa League.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will they be allowed to play in Europe as a League 1 club ?

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
oh, my. Imagine how depressing Selhurst would be on a rainy Tuesday night, hosting some dire European team. Or conversely how funny to watch. But surely to save the blushes of the whole of the UK, our esteemed security forces would blow that shithole up, before the whole of Europe pissed themselves laughing.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I personally think Cardiff will piss on Palarse over the two leg semi-final so nothing to worry about (hopefully). :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know, I think it would be just like early 1980s, when English club sides would get drawn against someone like Steaua Bucharest. Grim, soulless, concrete Eastern Bloc cities designed in the brutalist style, where poverty was rife, and hideous, crumbling, death trap stadiums built before the war and barely touched since.

In fact, I feel rather sorry for whichever Eastern European team has to make the journey back to that era and come to Croydon.

in_the_sand

Banned
Mar 7, 2010
If Palace win it they deserve it, Europe is all about small clubs as much as it is about big clubs like Man Utd, Barcelona, Brighton, Inter etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't know, I think it would be just like early 1980s, when English club sides would get drawn against someone like Steaua Bucharest. Grim, soulless, concrete Eastern Bloc cities designed in the brutalist style, where poverty was rife, and hideous, crumbling, death trap stadiums built before the war and barely touched since.

In fact, I feel rather sorry for whichever Eastern European team has to make the journey back to that era and come to Croydon.
I can imagine the outrage on the Dynamo Minsk boards when their 2000 travelling fans find out they had to pay full price for sitting in that dump, while the other half of the crowd have all paid 70% less by buying through Groupon.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

:lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It would be a real test of my football principles if Palace qualified for Europe. I always support whatever English team is playing a European tie, and have been known to berate those that don't, but I'm really not sure I could if it were Palace. Might be a principles-in-pocket hypocritical moment for me.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No dilemma whatsoever for me. I'd be hoping they got drawn away at a horrible isolated outpost at the arse end of the Ukraine, serviced only by Europe's worst airline, where it took them two days to get there, the showers were cold, the food likely to give them all botulism, local nutters waking them up outside their hotel at 2am, the pitch a cowfield, and the fans total mentalists, and they lose 4-0 to four disputed penalties and a referee on the take from the home team's Ukrainian mafia chairman.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
No dilemma whatsoever for me. I'd be hoping they got drawn away at a horrible isolated outpost at the arse end of the Ukraine, serviced only by Europe's worst airline, where it took them two days to get there, the showers were cold, the food likely to give them all botulism, local nutters waking them up outside their hotel at 2am, the pitch a cowfield, and the fans total mentalists, and they lose 4-0 to four disputed penalties and a referee on the take from the home team's Ukrainian mafia chairman.

Sounds like Fratton Park...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Excellent work Edna :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I can imagine the outrage on the Dynamo Minsk boards when their 2000 travelling fans find out they had to pay full price for sitting in that dump, while the other half of the crowd have all paid 70% less by buying through Groupon.

:thumbsup:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here