Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace scrap stadium plans

Jan 12, 2012
I think, if memory serves that only half of that belongs to CPFC and then what are you proposing to do with the houses along the sides of the car park?

If you look at the aerial photo on page 2, the empty car park directly behind the old stand belong to the club. The other one ( with the cars in !) is Sainsbury's, and your correct in saying that they let us us it on matchdays. As far as i can gather, CPFC 2010 are in discussion with Sainsbury's about the re developement of the whitehorse stand, so there may be an option on their car park possibly ?

Feb 14, 2010
The people that run Palace have succeeded in their business life and they clearly are not daft. However a new ground or a revamped ground does not guarantee increased crowds (just ask Millwall).

Brighton always got high crowds despite lower league football and it was a club waiting for a proper ground. Palace have sometimes also had high crowds but Palace have not been a club in waiting in the same way that Brighton have been for 15 or so years.

Palace crowds will increase if they do well, but they dont have the same natural geographical area for a fanbase as the Albion. That is not point scoring its just the way it is. Palace are an edge of London club and as people in London look into London, and some dont even consider Croydon or Bromley as London at all, then its difficult for Palace to sell itself.

However if those running Palace get it right (which I back someone to do one day) then palace can be as medium sized club and get better crowds than they do.

Brighton however is a different story with a bigger natural fanbase.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I think, if memory serves that only half of that belongs to CPFC and then what are you proposing to do with the houses along the sides of the car park?

They're cheap, we're going to buy them up :) Of course, if they refuse to sell, we might be stuck. Unless of course we can convince the council that it's in the public interest - which it would be.

Looks like there are something like 17 properties in Wooderson Close and a further 14 along Clifton Road. Last house in Wooderson Close sold for £316,000 in 2005 and similar houses in Clifton Road sold for around £200k in 2010 - at those prices I make it £8,172,000 to buy the houses (assuming it is 31 houses) -assumng they wanted to sell - plus stamp duty and legals - so around £8.5m

The above was taken from BBS by someone on your supporters trust.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
The people that run Palace have succeeded in their business life and they clearly are not daft. However a new ground or a revamped ground does not guarantee increased crowds (just ask Millwall).

Things are distinctly average at the moment and we still average over 15k. This is about as bad as it gets for us, really. It's not like we ever spend any time in League 1, so we don't have to worry about that. In the Premiership we sell out 25k every week, in the Championship we're only just in the top half of the income table.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Looks like there are something like 17 properties in Wooderson Close and a further 14 along Clifton Road. Last house in Wooderson Close sold for £316,000 in 2005 and similar houses in Clifton Road sold for around £200k in 2010 - at those prices I make it £8,172,000 to buy the houses (assuming it is 31 houses) -assumng they wanted to sell - plus stamp duty and legals - so around £8.5m

The above was taken from BBS by someone on your supporters trust.

Read the rest of the thread you plank. As has been pointed out on there, loads of houses there have been on sale for years and they can't get rid of them. House prices in 2005 were about 20% higher than they are now, etc.

Steve Parish has already said it's a realistic option for us.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As long as it doesnt turn into a retail park .

A retail park seems to be off the agenda now the idea of a new stadium at CPP has been binned. The only way a retail park would be back on the cards is if CPFC2010 did an "Archer"

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
A retail park seems to be off the agenda now the idea of a new stadium at CPP has been binned. The only way a retail park would be back on the cards is if CPFC2010 did an "Archer"

Not quite true. CPFC2010 are exploring the possibility of re-developing Selhurst with the cooperation of Sainsburys and a few smaller retailers. The actual confirmed plans of what's happening haven't been released yet, but they've been working on it for a while. These guys are the most professional owners of a football club I've seen, they know exactly what they're doing.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I bet the local businesses are shi tting themselfs .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Read the rest of the thread you plank. As has been pointed out on there, loads of houses there have been on sale for years and they can't get rid of them. House prices in 2005 were about 20% higher than they are now, etc.

Steve Parish has already said it's a realistic option for us.
Now the householders know that the club wants to buy their houses there will be a premium added to the fair market value.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not quite true. CPFC2010 are exploring the possibility of re-developing Selhurst with the cooperation of Sainsburys and a few smaller retailers. The actual confirmed plans of what's happening haven't been released yet, but they've been working on it for a while. These guys are the most professional owners of a football club I've seen, they know exactly what they're doing.

Have you been hypnotised recently ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Yep. Getting involved in foul mouthed slanging matches, on fans forums. So very professional.

Feb 14, 2010
Palace spent lots of time in the third division but granted not since the 70's. That is the worry tho, if they do drop again then they will struggle even more for crowds. 15K in modern day football is not great for the 2nd div (Championship). However all clubs go through these times. Someone showed a table of crowds in the mid 80s when both in the 2nd div, Palace were getting 6000, Brighton 8500, Millwall 5000, Charlton 6000 and Leeds 12000. Either way, palace are a decent club and yes I back your owners to get it right and regain your rightful pecking order status... about a third smaller than Brighton...

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
If you look at the aerial photo on page 2, the empty car park directly behind the old stand belong to the club. The other one ( with the cars in !) is Sainsbury's, and your correct in saying that they let us us it on matchdays. As far as i can gather, CPFC 2010 are in discussion with Sainsbury's about the re developement of the whitehorse stand, so there may be an option on their car park possibly ?

We don't own any of the car parks. Both were sold to Sainsburys.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Now the householders know that the club wants to buy their houses there will be a premium added to the fair market value.

Obviously, people will want the most they can get. However, that really won't be very much at all to CPFC2010, Sainsburys, and any other parties that will benefit. Sainsburys want a bigger store, we want a better ground, etc. It would be almost impossible without the backing of Sainsburys, but thankfully they're being "very supportive" according to chairmen. The only time the car park is ever full is on matchdays, apart from that it's 2/3 empty all the time.

Obviously we'll only know the full story when the plans come out, but there isn't a more determined group of people than CPFC2010 anywhere. They will do this properly and the club will benefit massively, and we get to keep the "old ground" feel if it's done properly. With these guys in charge, it will be.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

too good! these guys must be really special to rank higher than those other recent wondrous owners... i'm thinking here of tango jordon and that plum who stuffed cash into terry venable's back pocket for basically turning up.

Jan 12, 2012
The houses are a big stumbling block tbh.
Previous planning applications would have only been approved if the stand nearest the houses was only 3/4 the length, which isnt ideal ! Im sure the owners are aware of this problem, and must have a way around this if they are serious about these plans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here