Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace not too welcome at their proposed new stadium.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
cpground.jpg

We need this so so bad. But its never going to happen. :(

That is all.

I hope You do, we need our rivals to keep up with us. it's been brilliant being on par with you again this season. Ripping the sh#t out of each other again.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Would the Croydon Arena not be an alternative? Or is the transport too bad there? I know you've only got the tram right by the Arena, but it's only a short walk to Norwood Junction. As regards the park, I used to have an uncle in Beckenham, so I regularly read the local press. Barkway and his mates at Bromley Council wanted to put a cinema in the park. The outcry that caused made the opposition we faced over Falmer look tame, so I think you are in for a real battle. Seriously, you could do worse than ask Martin Perry for advice. Someone asked who Val Shawcross was (not sure if it was on here or on the Norwood forum). She is the former leader of Croydon Council, who then became a GLA member and is very close mates with Ken Livingstone. She is his running mate for Deputy Mayor and Ken plans to make her the Chair of TFL if he gets elected, which according to the Evening Standard will mean Bob Crow effectively gets a role. One reason why, though I have issues with him, my vote is going firmly to Boris in the Mayoral election.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Plan A: The Park
Plan B: Selhurst.

Interesting. Much as I may like the designs for the new stadium, I really can't see it ever getting permission on that scale in CP park. The objectors will always ask 'why can't you stay at Selhurst?', and not actually be interested in any answer to the question.

Would have thought that there must be other possibilities?

However, as said before, I reckon a redevelopment of Selhurst could work well.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't understand this obsession with a 40k stadium, all banter aside, you will never fill it!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
That image will terrify the park-loving nimbys. There must be other sites available as a plan B?

The thing is there is already a stadia in that same place? so why would it effect the NIMBYs.
And I agree about size, whats the point of 40000 when 25000 would be OK and if or when they get bigger up it to 30000, as I dont think Palace have ever avaraged more than that in my life time.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Has any time scale been set on this? The Holmesdale end is fine, but the rest is starting to show its age now. It'll need sorting out fairly soon I'd have thought?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
The thing is there is already a stadia in that same place? so why would it effect the NIMBYs.
And I agree about size, whats the point of 40000 when 25000 would be OK and if or when they get bigger up it to 30000, as I dont think Palace have ever avaraged more than that in my life time.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't the existing structure on a much smaller footprint and scale? From the image above, the new proposal seems to take up 1/5th of the park !??

To be honest, I don't know about the issues here. Just feel they are being a tad optimisitic if they reckon they won't be in 'planning hell' for years with lots of opposition.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Why do they need a new ground as they can only fill half their stadium? They'd be better off building one new stand every season, okay the capacity will be reduced but it'll be big enough.

If I was a local resident then I'd vote against the new stadium being built as they've already got one.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Reading the comments on that Norwood board, at least their NIMBYs have a sense of humour.

I want Palace to get a new stadium eventually. But 14 years of being dicked about first would be vital.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here