Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Palace just signed some geezer for six million....

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
It makes me laugh all these palace on here talking about how great it is to get in to the prem. I had the same last season as living and working in Reading, such a bunch of happy smiling fans for all of the first four games of the season. After that I never seen such a miserable bunch. For some reason didn't want to talk about football or the mighty Royals much. I honestly would not of swapped their season with the season we had, even with its ending. I was smiling a lot more on a Monday morning then they were. They could not give a toss about the money they made or the big teams that went to the mad stad, all they wanted was to see their team win and play well.

Personally I can't stand the Prem. Not because of the reasons you suggest (I've had plenty of enjoyable seasons supporting Palace even when we've been getting tonked week in week out in the Championship) but just because it's a shit league. The money involved is ludicrous, and it's made the division so unbalanced. Only a handful of clubs have any real change of winning, and everyone knows before the season starts who'll be scrapping it out at the bottom. There's no real excitement.

Compare that to the Championship, where anyone can beat anyone. We were relegation favourites and went up. Clubs coming down from the Prem can freefall into League 1 as often as go straight back up. The Championship is brilliant.

I'm still happy we've gone up, because our current owners are thankfully nothing like our previous two, so we can strengthen the club and secure our future for years to come with the money. But I'd still rather the Premier League was scrapped and the money divided properly across the four divisions again like it used to be.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Personally I can't stand the Prem. Not because of the reasons you suggest (I've had plenty of enjoyable seasons supporting Palace even when we've been getting tonked week in week out in the Championship) but just because it's a shit league. The money involved is ludicrous, and it's made the division so unbalanced. Only a handful of clubs have any real change of winning, and everyone knows before the season starts who'll be scrapping it out at the bottom. There's no real excitement.

Compare that to the Championship, where anyone can beat anyone. We were relegation favourites and went up. Clubs coming down from the Prem can freefall into League 1 as often as go straight back up. The Championship is brilliant.

I'm still happy we've gone up, because our current owners are thankfully nothing like our previous two, so we can strengthen the club and secure our future for years to come with the money. But I'd still rather the Premier League was scrapped and the money divided properly across the four divisions again like it used to be.

Top Post
I agree with all this, with the slight exception to the securing of your future. There is a web site that shows the clubs that have gone into administration and those who get relegated from the Prem, make up a significant number of clubs that then have fallen into administration. So it is a wait and see with regard to making your club secure in my opinion.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing

Yep - I agree with most of this.

My Forest supporting friend had this to say in April as the battle for securing a place in the play-offs approached its climax - hard to disagree with any of it really:

"I'd enjoy Forest in the play-off final largely because it's the one final I've never seen them in. I love watching my Notts play: if they win, I'm pleased; if they lose, I still go home relaxed. It's as close as you can get in football to win-win.

"But - and I know I keep going on about this - I'm really not fussed about the Premier League. Whether it's your boys or mine or somebody else's, to go up and get caned every week by clubs who are better than us just because they're richer...not my idea of a good time.

"I actually envy Pompey in the fourth next year. I think a season at new grounds with bonkers fans - home and away - would be great fun, enriching and good for the soul."

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This thread is turning sensible. Agree with all the sentiments expressed above. There is something very very wrong when many fans of the larger clubs below the top tier aren't bothered about promotion. The ONLY thing that hurt about the play-off semi-final for me was that we capitulated to palace (and tbh that hurt a LOT less than September a couple of years back). I did not give a fig whether we were in the premier league or not.

Confirmed on national radio this morning "£6 million paid by Palace".

:rotlf:

just watch them p**s it up the wall !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Why is the national radio more trustworthy than ssn or the press? It seems like they all use each other for sources. Or wasit palace/Peterborough officials that were speaking on the radio?

mystery_man

Banned
Jun 7, 2013

£2.75million up front potentially rising to £4.5 - £5 million. No figures released to the media so figures they are quoting are hearsay or Frysay (which amount to the same thing).

£2.75million up front potentially rising to £4.5 - £5 million. No figures released to the media so figures they are quoting are hearsay or Frysay (which amount to the same thing).

Why is it that when Zaha got sold all you mongs were insistent it was for 15 million when it clearly wasn't and when you buy someone for 6 million you insist it isn't that much when it clearly is?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

I can understand fans deluding themselves about the amount received for a player (e.g. Zahaha), but can you give us a single good reason by Barry Fry would want to talk up the amount of money they have received?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I see one of your fans has come up with the logic this morning on BBS, that the fee must heave been around £5.5mill.
He based this on the 20% sell on clause that Daggers had on Gayle and they have reported receiving £1mill up front. They are to receive a further 20% of any money Palace pay in the future for Gayle.

mystery_man

Banned
Jun 7, 2013
I can understand fans deluding themselves about the amount received for a player (e.g. Zahaha), but can you give us a single good reason by Barry Fry would want to talk up the amount of money they have received?

Because he is Barry Fry. I dunno the guy is a bit of a cartoon character isn't he.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Spot on. I can't argue with any of that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Because he has to justify letting a player go either without sending panic through fans with talk of financial necessities, or because of some outdated idea that players are expected to be loyal despite offer of more money or career advancement?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Anybody else notice how the numpty nigels never respond to questions about the money they owe from their countless ventures into administration. Constantly giving it large about how much money they have to spend without a thought or consideration for the small businesses and charitable organisations they shafted, then shafted again.

Now I know that most of the nigel's posting on here are terminally stupid but let's try one more time.

NIGEL!!! Now you have all this money why don't you look at paying -something- to the businesses and charities you have screwed over in recent years? I know that there is no legal obligation for you to do so (that's why you just form another company every time you go bust) but don't you think it would be the RIGHT thing to do? Particularly when it is small, often local, businesses you have shafted?

How about asking your chairman on that forum on BBS where you can put questions to................oh...............they've closed it down.

Hmmmm.....so which of you big, bad, boys is going to start a thread on BBS campaigning for the club to pay its dues?

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Anybody else notice how the numpty nigels never respond to questions about the money they owe from their countless ventures into administration. Constantly giving it large about how much money they have to spend without a thought or consideration for the small businesses and charitable organisations they shafted, then shafted again.

Now I know that most of the nigel's posting on here are terminally stupid but let's try one more time.

NIGEL!!! Now you have all this money why don't you look at paying -something- to the businesses and charities you have screwed over in recent years? I know that there is no legal obligation for you to do so (that's why you just form another company every time you go bust) but don't you think it would be the RIGHT thing to do? Particularly when it is small, often local, businesses you have shafted?

How about asking your chairman on that forum on BBS where you can put questions to................oh...............they've closed it down.

Hmmmm.....so which of you big, bad, boys is going to start a thread on BBS campaigning for the club to pay its dues?

QUENTIN- Not saying its right but that is the way business inside and outside of football works. Plenty of other clubs have done the same but you guys never seem to mention them. Bitter?

QUENTIN- Not saying its right but that is the way business inside and outside of football works. Plenty of other clubs have done the same but you guys never seem to mention them. Bitter?

Yes, but they don't live on here bragging about being in the top 2 divisions for 20 odd years as if it's some badge of honour when you're only there because you destroyed some peoples lives.

Just a thought.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Yes, but they don't live on here bragging about being in the top 2 divisions for 20 odd years as if it's some badge of honour when you're only there because you destroyed some peoples lives.

Just a thought.

35 years, Get it right :clap2:

Just a thought.

You're wasting your time Hillian.

These people have no moral compass . They burnt , robbed and assaulted their own - their not going to worry about shafting others and ruining lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here