Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace - just had a very interesting conversation

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
having no expectation this year in terms of promotion might actually work in there interest, pressure off and all that. might make them play more freely and get some results in.

Or it might make them so apathetic that they play shit and lose every week - culminating in relegation by February

*Snaps out of daydream*

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder if we are Palace's most disliked rival again yet, especially in the eyes of their younger fans. I definitely got the impression that the younger ones saw Millwall and Charlton as more worthy rivals before we got to the Amex. Last season ramped it up again undoubtably, which was nice.

I think you underestimate the potential of the Southampton rivalry to be stoked up, especially if we meet them regularly over the next few years and Palace slide into League One or Two

Be honest, surely you don't think there is any real chance of Palace playing in League 1 or 2? :facepalm:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wonder if we are Palace's most disliked rival again yet, especially in the eyes of their younger fans. I definitely got the impression that the younger ones saw Millwall and Charlton as more worthy rivals before we got to the Amex. Last season ramped it up again undoubtably, which was nice.

I think you underestimate the potential of the Southampton rivalry to be stoked up, especially if we meet them regularly over the next few years and Palace slide into League One or Two

Are you in west Sussex Icy Gull? I would guess so. For me, and probably loads of other east Sussex Albion fans Southampton just do not register. The sheer distance makes a difference. From where i am in Eastbourne i am approx 60 miles from palace but almost 90 from Southampton. It's about an hour's difference in the car. I don't know ANY Southampton fans this way but i do, unfortunately know some palace.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Be honest, surely you don't think there is any real chance of Palace playing in League 1 or 2? :facepalm:

On the contrary - there is a very real chance. Palace will seemingly be cutting their cloth to suit their modest means over the next few seasons (which is to be applauded).This means you'll be around the bottom half of the table. A poor run of form down there can be terminal. Let's not forget that twice in the last 4 seasons, you've only confirmed your Championship status in the last two weeks of the season.

If you think there is 'no real chance' then you are seriously blind.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I wondered how long it would be before the delusional one wades in. Fair play to everyone else though, some refreshingly idiot-free conversation between Palace and Brighton fans.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Ummm how can I put this and it's not just me saying it for the hell of it but yeah I can see it happening. Whilst your owners seem to be doing the right thing, there will be some pain attached, a spell in Division 3 is certainly a real possibilty. Can YOU not see it??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are you in west Sussex Icy Gull? I would guess so. For me, and probably loads of other east Sussex Albion fans Southampton just do not register. The sheer distance makes a difference. From where i am in Eastbourne i am approx 60 miles from palace but almost 90 from Southampton. It's about an hour's difference in the car. I don't know ANY Southampton fans this way but i do, unfortunately know some palace.

Fair point but it's more Pompey than Saints around here ( Worthing) from my take. I just think we seem to be on a similar rise as Southampton but maybe a couple of years behind. I'm pretty sure most of us got a special buzz from the victory in Gus' 1st game and the point in the year we won the Championship and I'd say most were pretty chuffed with the 3-0 at the Amex. All those games had a great atmosphere. I can see the rivalry becoming more intense and who are Saints gonna be rivals with now that Pompey seem to be on the brink? Nothing will replace the rivalry with Palace but I can dislike Southampton without trying very hard tbh :smile:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

There is a very strong chance , CPFC2010 are running the football club as a business unlike previous owners who thought they could spend their way out of trouble until the money ran out. The vast majority of Palace fans are starting to smell the coffee and realise their club cannot survive in the long term by losing a couple of mill each season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the Palace strategy does make an element of economic sense, but there is a Catch-22 element in that they want to increase the fanbase, but to do that they need to invest in a product that people will come and watch.

I believe the Palace chairman said it will be a five year plan, and presume he intends to make them more watchable incrementally, or as they say in Croydon "Lidl by Lidl"

Taxi

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Be honest, surely you don't think there is any real chance of Palace playing in League 1 or 2?
third favourite to drop with most bookies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here