Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace can't afford to pay player wages

Couldn't see this posted anywhere else...

Crystal Palace Financial Crisis Grows

Selhurst Park: While things may be purring along nicely on the pitch for Crystal Palace -- a 3-0 win at home to Watford on Sunday, in manager Neil Warnock's 100th game in charge, maintained a six-game unbeaten streak and lifted the club to within two points of the play-off places -- away from the field things are looking dicey. Warnock has admitted that the players, staff and management will face a ten-day delay in getting paid after cash flow problems hit owner Simon Jordan; the players were only told after Saturday's win, which will have come as a downer after such a dominant performance.

Warnock insisted this was a temporary blip, and with another home game on Saturday, there's a financial fillip only days away -- any lay Palace fans might want to buy a ticket and help the club out, not least because opponents Doncaster have yet to win an away game this season. However, Palace's problems are mounting: they're under a transfer embargo for not paying former players, they haven't paid outstanding rent on the ground for several months, and Jordan is desperate to sell yet unable to find a buyer for what, with the stadium owned separately, remains an unattractive buy.

This latest crisis proves that the grim spectre of administration is haunting the club this season, and all the on-field make-do and mend with a skeleton squad won't mean much if Palace sink beneath the ocean of debt that encircles them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No sympathy when a club has handed out contracts it can't honour.

Would never want to see a club go out of business though - even palace. A little bit of a struggle won't hurt though.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
No sympathy when a club has handed out contracts it can't honour.

Would never want to see a club go out of business though - even palace. A little bit of a struggle won't hurt though.

Struggles are good, but like you I don't want to see them go out of business. The slagging matches with my mate (who is a palace fan) are always very joyful. If they were to go out of business all I could really continue with was 'oh well...at least I still have a team' which is hardly interesting.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Full report from the BBC
BBC Sport - Football - Palace facing 10-day delay on pay

Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock has confirmed to BBC London 94.9 that wage payments to players, staff and management are set to be delayed.

An emergency meeting was called following Saturday's 3-0 win against Watford to break the news to the squad.

Warnock said: "I spoke to the chairman [Simon Jordan] last week. I explained the situation to the players; I think they were very positive.

"The chairman said he's got [a cash flow problem] for about 10 days."

He added: "I probably should have the biggest worry because footballers are always protected by the Professional Footballers Association.

"But it's not like that - Simon's doing his best. Obviously the cash flow is a problem. But we've got another home game next Saturday, and you've got to accept in the modern day that these things happen. I know [chairman Simon Jordan] has been disappointed that he's not been able to give me some of the millions he's give other managers, but it hasn't stopped me from working as hard as I can for the club and for him.
Neil Warnock

"Rather than let it affect you, we've got to be positive. We're doing ever so well at the moment. We've got a small squad, we've got a lot of players out on loan to help with the financial aspect as well, and the fans have been brilliant.

"I would expect the chairman to support me if I were in a situation like that, and likewise I said to the players 'he's been great with us, so let's help him'."

BBC London understands that assurances have been made that wages will be paid in 10 days' time at latest, although they could still be paid as early as Tuesday.

During the summer, the club were placed under a transfer embargo for not meeting a transfer payment, and in September were again prevented from bringing in new players .

Palace host Doncaster in the Championship on Saturday, and Warnock insists there is no chance of his players refusing to play if they have not been paid by then.

"We haven't got prima donnas. They're all hard working lads and the team ethic is fabulous.

"I am in a positive mood because I want to help the chairman - he's been brilliant over the years and I know he's been disappointed that he's not been able to give me some of the millions he's give other managers, but it hasn't stopped me from working as hard as I can for the club and for him."

Simon Jordan took over at Crystal Palace in 2000, saving the club from entering administration. Just last year Jordan revealed he had spent £7m pounds on securing the long-term lease of Selhurst Park for the next 25 years.

Following the sale of the John Bostock to Tottenham in July 2008 Jordan announced his intention to sell the club, indicating he hoped to do so in the following year.

However, Warnock says he is not aware of any sale in the pipeline.

"I leave those things to him," he said. "He's a very astute businessman and a very good friend. I'm aware of the problems he's had with the [economic] climate. But he's still put many millions into Crystal Palace to keep it going, and I think we owe him a lot.

"The least we owe him is to roll up our sleeves and try to get the results that will help him over this period."

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It'll be a firesale in January. Warnock said of Moses on Saturday: "He'll flourish in the Premier League. The first club to take a gamble on him will have a little jewel." He might as well have hung the price-tag on the bloke and ushered him into the shop window.

Youngsters Clyne, Scannell and Moses may go. Some established players are out of contract. Fonte/Speroni could be tempted to leave after this. Same old story though, with an uncommitted owner you've got no chance.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It'll be a firesale in January. Warnock said of Moses on Saturday: "He'll flourish in the Premier League. The first club to take a gamble on him will have a little jewel." He might as well have hung the price-tag on the bloke and ushered him into the shop window.
We should make a CHEEKY £60k bid, in an effort to replace our current Palace-supporting striker. :thumbsup:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
We should make a CHEEKY £60k bid, in an effort to replace our current Palace-supporting striker. :thumbsup:

Err.. I don't remember Palace trying to get Mark Beeney on the cheap back in 1993 when you needed to sell HIM to pay players' wages, Leeds bailed you out on that occasion I think.

Calvin Andrew kept you up last season on loan from Palace, you sent him back so crocked he couldn't get back in the squad until last Saturday. Where's your F**king gratitude?:angry:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Jordan is desperate to sell yet unable to find a buyer for what, with the stadium owned separately, remains an unattractive buy.

That is the understatement of the century so far.

"an unattractive buy" is journo speak for "a crock of steaming shite"

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I tell you what! You may hate him but Neil Warnock is a bloody good manager

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here