Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paedophilia

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
BBC News - says Durban cardinal

I am inclined to side with this guy. It is a condition which needs to be sorted out by psychologists rather than the prison system. After all, quite often the Paedophiles don't make a choice to 'target' children, it is the way their body works which makes them feel that way. Your thoughts? Prison for these mentally ill people, or do you believe it is a criminal condition?

Try to ignore the fact it is a Catholic priest saying this....

D

Deleted User X18H

Honestly, what has this got to do with Brighton & Hove Albion or Brighton?

At least if I start something obscure it has some Albion or Brighton relevance.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

I am inclined to side with this guy. It is a condition which needs to be sorted out by psychologists rather than the prison system. After all, quite often the Paedophiles don't make a choice to 'target' children, it is the way their body works which makes them feel that way. Your thoughts? Prison for these mentally ill people, or do you believe it is a criminal condition?

WTF! Prison

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
They might feel that way, but they still have the awareness that their actions are self-serving and just plain wrong.
If they can't control themselves, they must be kept away from our children - which means incarceration.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This is a very difficult and sensitive discussion. I wouldn't even go so far as him to say paedophilia is a 'disorder'. Different people are sexually attracted to all kinds, such as men, women, older people, younger people, teenagers, nurses, teachers, cheerleaders, S&M, underwear, boobs, genitalia, legs, faces, faeces, animals, leather, shoes. Who are we to say what's in order and what's a disorder?

What can't be denied, though, is that if someone acts out their sexual interest on children, then those children are harmed. Anything that reduces harm against children - whether it is prison or psychological treatment (and I'd have to say that in some cases - for the same reason we don't allow lions to roam the streets - prison is the best course of action) - is worth exploring.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This is a very difficult and sensitive discussion. I wouldn't even go so far as him to say paedophilia is a 'disorder'. Different people are sexually attracted to all kinds, such as men, women, older people, younger people, teenagers, nurses, teachers, cheerleaders, S&M, underwear, boobs, genitalia, legs, faces, faeces, animals, leather, shoes. Who are we to say what's in order and what's a disorder?

What can't be denied, though, is that if someone acts out their sexual interest on children, then those children are harmed. Anything that reduces harm against children - whether it is prison or psychological treatment (and I'd have to say that in some cases - for the same reason we don't allow lions to roam the streets - prison is the best course of action) - is worth exploring.

Absolutely this. Paedophilia is clearly due to some pschological malfunction as far as I'm concerned. Treatment to prevent people act on inappropriate urges is clearly desirable.

But if someone acts on these urges, they have become a criminal, and should be treated as such. Throw the book at them.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Honestly, what has this got to do with Brighton & Hove Albion or Brighton?

At least if I start something obscure it has some Albion or Brighton relevance.

An odd contribution. You've been on here long enough to know that NSC isn't so narrowly pigeon-holed.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Absolutely this. Paedophilia is clearly due to some pschological malfunction as far as I'm concerned. Treatment to prevent people act on inappropriate urges is clearly desirable.

But if someone acts on these urges, they have become a criminal, and should be treated as such. Throw the book at them.

Death penalty

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Perhaps you think its ok then? Your as sick as any child molester if you think what this individual is saying is true. He's trying to justify it because it is endemic in the catholic church.

Think before you post pal.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Perhaps you think its ok then? Your as sick as any child molester if you think what this individual is saying is true. He's trying to justify it because it is endemic in the catholic church.

Think before you post pal.

It is true, Paedophiles do need to be examined by doctors to find out what is making them mentally ill. In the case of a paedophile just locking them in prison for a couple of years isn't going to do the trick. Their mind is functioning in a slightly different way, and that needs to be corrected. As soon as they are let back onto the streets, that is it, they are going to offend again.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
This is a really interesting a difficult topic.

If we do become a society that offers psychiatric help and someone walks in to a health centre and states 'I've been having pedophilic thoughts', where do we go from there. Do we contain them for the safety of children until rehabilitation or do we keep tabs on these people, after all they may have done nothing wrong as far as law is concerned.

Personally I'm not sure I know what my answer would be..

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It is true, Paedophiles do need to be examined by doctors to find out what is making them mentally ill.

Although mixing up sexuality with morality, and then trying to make the analysis seem scientific, is a little bit muddled.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is true, Paedophiles do need to be examined by doctors to find out what is making them mentally ill. In the case of a paedophile just locking them in prison for a couple of years isn't going to do the trick. Their mind is functioning in a slightly different way, and that needs to be corrected. As soon as they are let back onto the streets, that is it, they are going to offend again.

So if someone's sexual attraction to children can be 'corrected' does this mean that someone's attraction to someone of the same gender can be 'corrected' too?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's the same with murderers and thieves it's just the way they are conditioned and ultimately need help and support rather than imprisoning

This is basically giving anyone free license to do what they like and then get help. I'm not sure I've heard such a ridiculous idea, if someone has committed a crime then they are subject to criminal prosecution. If there are individuals who do not know that committing sexual acts on children is wrong then I personally think they should be locked up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here