Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen joins Stoke

perry digweed

Oct 21, 2003
Brighton
Thank god for that... I hear Kanchelskis is still a free agent?

Michael Owen joins Stoke after agreeing a 12-month deal

Michael Owen joins Stoke after agreeing a 12-month deal - Telegraph

Owen, the former England international, was at Stoke's training ground today to put the finishing touches to what will essentially be a pay-as-you-play contract.
Stoke have been in talks with Owen all day and the deal appeared off earlier this afternoon until a final offer was accepted by the 32 year-old and his advisors.

It is understood the only hurdle to overcome now is the Premier League agreeing Owen's registration for Stoke's 25-man squad before the 5pm deadline.

Owen was a free agent after his release from Manchester United at the end of last season and first met Stoke in June to discuss a move to the Britannia Stadium. Owen has been considering his options, with offers understood to have been made in the Far East and in the Championship, but will sign for Tony Pulis after a day of whirlwind talks.

The deal will be a basic 12-month deal, with the promise of a further year if he passes a set number of appearances. Owen is believed to be eanning a substantial basic wage with substantial incentives for goals.

Owen's move will see him team up with Peter Crouch, his former England team-mate, and Stoke are the fifth club of his career.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
One year deal isn't it? Don't worry the deluded ones will be back next summer saying they've seen him at the Amex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
One year deal isn't it? Don't worry the deluded ones will be back next summer saying they've seen him at the Amex.

It is Michael Owen we are talking about, probably a one game deal

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good. Puts these silly rumours to bed for another 12mts anyway.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well we no the game plan,lump it forward to Lurch with a hopefull knock down for Owen. Yep the type of football that will make England into world cup winners !!! FFS.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What a loser he is. Clearly hates the game and loves the paycheck. Can't wait until he is retired and out of football for good.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

Nope - only til January, when he's barely played and "only has six months left on his contract" so could be picked up on the cheap. "Would tear the Championship up and GUARANTEE promotion!" :facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nope - only til January
If we're lucky. If he's not making the Stoke squad (can't get fit enough), there will be plenty of rumours of him coming for a loan deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With his 'billy big bollox' posturing about not dropping down a division, I'd quite like to see him fall on his arse.

Which is a pretty crappy thing to say about a player, who got my England supporting days, through some pretty shoddy teams.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
With his 'billy big bollox' posturing about not dropping down a division, I'd quite like to see him fall on his arse.

Which is a pretty crappy thing to say about a player, who got my England supporting days, through some pretty shoddy teams.

I don't see why - he was a top end player who felt he could still do it at the prem level, and clearly Stoke think he can too, why on earth should he have lowered his sights to a lower division. He's done the right thing. Now, if nobody had come in for him, that's a different matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here