Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Outfield players in goal

Probably only one who'll suggest (or have seen) this one, but when Worthing's keeper injured his hand in warm up before a league game at Godalming, and having not brought a sub keeper with us, striker Ross Treleaven (now at Eastbourne Borough) was forced to play the entire 90 minutes in goal, due to the fact he had some sort of experience from his teenage years.

As things like this always go, Godalming only had one shot on goal during the whole game, and The Rebels won 1-0!

Can also remember Walcott playing in goal for Saints when he was about 16/17 as well, but can't find picture of it anywhere!

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
No pictures, but does anyone remember the Goldstone cup game (LDV Vans or somesuch), evening kickoff vs Gillingham I think. We'd lost our keeper and Chris Hutchins ended up in goal for the penalty shootout, I think?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No pictures, but does anyone remember the Goldstone cup game (LDV Vans or somesuch), evening kickoff vs Gillingham I think. We'd lost our keeper and Chris Hutchins ended up in goal for the penalty shootout, I think?

I think you've got this the wrong way round.

Gillingham's keeper (Phil Kite, off the top of my head) was sent off in the first half for a professional foul, I believe on Paul Wood. It was a League Cup game in the late 1980s. They stuck a short-arsed outfielder in goal, whose name was Haylock or Haycock, something like that. We proceeded to spend the rest of the game failing miserably to test him with any shots of note, and it went to penalties, whereby he promptly saved one, and they went through.

Perhaps it was Hutchings who missed one, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Graeme Smith
0,,10433~6921181,00.jpg

What? You say he was a proper keeper? f*** off!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Gillingham website confirms my suspicions. Phil Kite was sent off by David Elleray, and the shortest player on Gillingham's team went in goal, saving the penalty in the shoot out that saw them through. They were a division or two below us at the time. Paul Haylock was the name of the guy who ended up wearing the gloves.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK

Gillingham's keeper (Phil Kite, off the top of my head) was sent off in the first half for a professional foul, I believe on Paul Wood. It was a League Cup game in the late 1980s. They stuck a short-arsed outfielder in goal, whose name was Haylock or Haycock, something like that. We proceeded to spend the rest of the game failing miserably to test him with any shots of note, and it went to penalties, whereby he promptly saved one, and they went through.

YES that's exactly it. Hutchins missed his kick I'm sure. I can now remember how short their new keeper was and the abject frustration in the north stand as we couldn't get anything on target!

Thanks!!

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Gillingham website confirms my suspicions. Phil Kite was sent off by David Elleray, and the shortest player on Gillingham's team went in goal, saving the penalty in the shoot out that saw them through. They were a division or two below us at the time. Paul Haylock was the name of the guy who ended up wearing the gloves.

Well done you. Funny thing, memories.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
The one and only Kevin Bremner, an Albion striker who worked hard, scored a goal in a match that took us to the second tier of English football in a promotion winning game, but was given a hard time by the fans, would never happen today of course.

Kevin_Bremner_and_Garry_Nelson.jpg

A cross from Garry Nelson. I imagine remembering the ripple of leather on netting as the ball flew in.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well done you. Funny thing, memories.

Ain't that the truth? It was probably the first time I remember us losing to a lower league side, or the first shoot out I witnessed, which is probably why I remember it.

Similarly I can still remember the pain of watching my first ever injury time defeat (oooh it hurt), it was to Ipswich and the scorer was some South African bloke called Mich D'Avray. It's the odd details that stick in your mind isn't it? :)

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Ain't that the truth? It was probably the first time I remember us losing to a lower league side, or the first shoot out I witnessed, which is probably why I remember it.

Similarly I can still remember the pain of watching my first ever injury time defeat (oooh it hurt), it was to Ipswich and the scorer was some South African bloke called Mich D'Avray. It's the odd details that stick in your mind isn't it? :)

Wow that name's a blast from the past. All I actually remember from my first game is that the bloke standing next to me in the east stand wore motorcycle gloves all game (he must be in his 60s now). Never mind that it was Peter Ward's last league game for us...

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm a little surprised that Phil Jagielka's not been mentioned yet. He's had a couple of appearances in goal through his career and I'm pretty sure that Neil Warnock never bothered with a sub keeper (back in the day of 5 subs) with him in the team as he was genuinely good enough to fill in if needed.

Relevant picture;

article-0-033E1528000005DC-11_468x328.jpg

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Probably only one who'll suggest (or have seen) this one, but when Worthing's keeper injured his hand in warm up before a league game at Godalming, and having not brought a sub keeper with us, striker Ross Treleaven (now at Eastbourne Borough) was forced to play the entire 90 minutes in goal, due to the fact he had some sort of experience from his teenage years.

As things like this always go, Godalming only had one shot on goal during the whole game, and The Rebels won 1-0!

Can also remember Walcott playing in goal for Saints when he was about 16/17 as well, but can't find picture of it anywhere!

You are thinking of Dexter Blackstock

Dean Windass for Oldham against Leicester, who even managed to put a penalty wide!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me

It was John Crumplin who was brought down. Chris Hutchings had already scored to put us 1-0 up. The 2nd shortest player went in goal for them (only taller than David Gipp) and they beat us on Pens!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It was John Crumplin who was brought down. Chris Hutchings had already scored to put us 1-0 up. The 2nd shortest player went in goal for them (only taller than David Gipp) and they beat us on Pens!

Hmmm, I'm sticking with Paul Wood :p It was at the North end of the ground, the keeper came rushing out of the box and booted him about six feet in the air.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Hmmm, I'm sticking with Paul Wood :p It was at the North end of the ground, the keeper came rushing out of the box and booted him about six feet in the air.

You may be right but the reason I'm so sure is that I've recently purchased a USB cassette player and I'm in the process of converting my tapes to MP3. When I was young and couldn't go to all the games I used to tape the reports from Southern Sound. I came across the recording of this game the other day. Like I say, you may be right but Tony Millard definitely thinks its John Crumplin.

If anybody knows how I could load that onto here that would be great. Not to prove anything, just because it didn't half take me back in time!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Back in the 70's the versatile Eddie Spearritt took over in goal when Geoff Sidebottam went off with concussion. he did OK in a hard fought cup game v Walsall.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Anyone remember the game early on (September?) in the first season at Gillingham against Darlington when their keeper got sent off after about ten minutes and Carl Shutt had to go in goal?

Oh how we lured them into a false sense of security by failing to have a shot at goal for the following 80 minutes, and raced to a 0-0 draw.

Happy days.

Wasn't that game billed as Fans United II?

My memory of that game was saying to my mate at the start, "Carl Shutt eh? Bit of a come down innit, playing for Doncaster, in the bottom division, away to Brighton at Gillingham, in front of 1,500 people." 10 mins later, I said "Carl Shutt eh? Bit of a come down innit, playing IN GOAL for Doncaster, in the bottom division, away to Brighton at Gillingham, in front of 1,500 people. Just when you think it can't get worse, it just has."

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
There was a game in Eastern Europe where the 'Keeper was sent off a striker went in goal (in the last minute) and saved the penalty!
YouTube it....

Also John Terry went in goal v Reading when Cech got his injury.

Can any Withdean stato's confirm my suspicions that a Carlisle player had to go in goal when the keeper was sent off?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Conversely, there was a relatively recent occasion when David James came out of goal to play up front for Man City when Stuart Pearce was manager. It was clearly a planned strategy as they had an outfield shirt with the number 1 on the back already prepared.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here