Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Out of date food and drink

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Are you someone that has to eat food before the best before date expires?

Reason i say this is last week i found some pineapple chunks at the back of the fridge that i'd forgotten all about, seemed ok eating them ( two days out of date) but had a gyppy tummy for a few days. I've improved my diet massively in the last year with enough fruit and vegetables. It has made a lot of difference.

I just hate throwing food away though, it's something that makes me feel really guilty. Some people just leave food at every meal and don't think anything of it.

So what food would you NEVER eat that had gone past it's sell by date? I can't drink sour milk for starters.:sick:

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
depends if there's mould on it.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Reason i say this is last week i found some pineapple chunks at the back of the fridge that i'd forgotten all about, seemed ok eating them ( two days out of date) but had a gyppy tummy for a few days.

Were they in an open tin? If so it probably wasn't the pineapple that made you ill - it was the RUST! :(

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The way I see it, there's no way food companies are going to take chances with their products so they almost certainly err on the side of caution when labelling food with dates. They don't want to be sued.

And secondly, the date has to be fairly arbitrary anyway. It's not like the food starts to disintegrate the second the clock ticks around to midnight on that date.

Perishable stuff, quite obviously, you should be reasonably cautious with. Use-by dates are more relevant than Best Before dates. But generally you should be able to tell by the smell and appearance of something if it's off. Green chicken is a bad sign :thumbsup:

PS I can tell you from uncomfortable experience that there's a particularly unpleasant stomach bug going round at the moment, so it was probably that you had and not the pineapple
<looks for diarrhoea smiley but has to make do with a :sick: >

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
There's a big difference between 'best before' and 'use by' dates too - logical when you think about it. Generally speaking you need to be a lot more cautious eating something when it's past its use by date.
My dad eats pretty much anything that needs 'using up' in the fridge and I've never known it affect him adversely, so I guess it depends upon your constitution too.

I wouldn't ever trust chicken after a use by date but, as everyone says, it's best to be guided by your eyes & ears so if it looks & smells ok...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you someone that has to eat food before the best before date expires?...
So what food would you NEVER eat that had gone past it's sell by date? I can't drink sour milk for starters.:sick:

right there is half the problem. best before, sell by and use by dates are all different. sell by dates are often meaningless, they are more for stock control than anything (how does a bottle of water go off?). best before is often a quality control thing, perfectly edible food will be past best quality (fats might seperate out, sugers crytalise). use by is the only one that really matter, even then trust your eyes/nose more. many a time ive had somthing "in date" thats was clearly dodge, in summer especially products deteriorate fast if left out (like say 3 hours in the yard between lorry and instore fridge...)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It has to be down to the individual as well. I have never had food poisoning, only thrown up once in my life and never get dicky bellys when abroad etc. However my mate seems to shite like a new born baby if you even say the word curry.

I put it down to eating crayons, blu-tack, paper and play-doh when I was a kid, built up my intolerance I reckon.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
No, in a plastic box.

Immodium didn't work and had to have a spatter every three hours or so.

Mrs J. had an evening of throwing up and I had the most awful squits (like the piss of a powerful horse) over the weekend. It just so happened that neither of us ate the same food (didn't touch the fayre on offer at Withdean before you ask) and mini J (aged three) had no problems at all nor his equally mini-mate.

A mate at work had 2 days off with it comming out of both ends.

In short it's probably some sort of bug, virus, gastric flu...whatever it is there's a lot of it about.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mrs J. had an evening of throwing up and I had the most awful squits (like the piss of a powerful horse) over the weekend. It just so happened that neither of us ate the same food (didn't touch the fayre on offer at Withdean before you ask) and mini J (aged three) had no problems at all nor his equally mini-mate.

In short it's probably some sort of bug, virus, gastric flu...whatever it is there's a lot of it about.

Indeed, had the same two weeks ago.

Immodium isn't always the best solution anyway: it blocks you up so can be useful if you have to be somewhere or have a long journey.

But the diarrhoea is the body's way of disposing of whatever is irritating it, so all you're doing by taking Immodium is delaying the, er, clearance, and slowing your ultimate recovery.

Drink lots of water and eat dry toast.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Coming out of you like a yellow (brown?) cable? ???

Attachments

• hitcher.jpg
    hitcher.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 210

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Coming out of you like a yellow (brown?) cable? ???

Hoisted me three foot clear of the seat and I had to sponge down me thighs with hessian sacking.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here