Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our entire season hinges on tonight's game...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It really does.

If we can beat Reading tonight then I think we will beat Birmingham at home. We've beaten Sunderland and Newcastle, and gave Liverpool a decent game at the Amex this season, so I would fancy us against anyone there. There's no reason why we cant win all three of our home games if we get a massive confidence-boosting win against the second best team in the division tonight. If we do that we'll have 72 points, and we would go into the last game at Barnsley needing a win to make 75 points, which will almost certainly be enough to make the play-offs.

But it's all about tonight, if we lose tonight I genuinely think our season is over. If we lose at home to Reading I think we'll lose to Birmingham as well, and we'll be too far behind then.

I'm not sure I agree with all this 'Gus needs to go for it with an attacking team' tonight, I think we need to do EXACTLY what we've been doing at the Amex all season. Barnes needs to come back in for a start. And I would start Lua-Lua but keep Buckley on the bench. It's about time we had another Buckley-winner-in-the-last-minute Amex game, we haven't had one for a while. The roof will come off if it happens tonight.

We CAN still do this, but I'm not sure anything less than a win will do tonight. If we are saying we need 75 points to be sure of making the play-offs and we only draw tonight then we'll have 4 games to make 11 points, which means we would actually need to win all 4. 74 points might be enough, but to be sure we need 75, in my opinion.

If tonight goes well:

Reading W
West Ham L
Watford W
Birmingham W
Barnsley W

75 points, play offs

If tonight goes badly:

Reading L
West Ham L
Watford W
Birmingham L
Barnsley W

69 points, 8th place.

But one thing is for absolute certain; both predictions will be complete and utterly wrong, and the remaining 5 games will turn out completely differently to how we all think they will.

Excited about tonight, biggest game at the Amex so far (again). I hope the atmosphere is good for an evening game for once, how many are Reading bringing?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
IF we win tonight, we'll almost certainly not lose against West Ham, in my opinion. You're giving them FAR too much respect assuming we'll lose there. They are f***ing AWFUL at the moment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure I agree with all this 'Gus needs to go for it with an attacking team' tonight, I think we need to do EXACTLY what we've been doing at the Amex all season. Barnes needs to come back in for a start. And I would start Lua-Lua but keep Buckley on the bench. It's about time we had another Buckley-winner-in-the-last-minute Amex game, we haven't had one for a while. The roof will come off if it happens tonight.

This bit is spot on. We don't concede many at all at home. Control the game til 65mins or so, then go for it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me, it's simpler than that: if we are in 6th place or above with everyone having three to play, I think we'll do it. If we're not, we won't.

And I really think we need 4 points from the next two games to have a chance of getting into that position.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
IF we win tonight, we'll almost certainly not lose against West Ham, in my opinion. You're giving them FAR too much respect assuming we'll lose there. They are f***ing AWFUL at the moment.

To be fair I don't think we can expect to get anything away anywhere at the moment, our away form has been pretty shocking itself. We're relying on beating these big teams at the Amex.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
It really does.

If we can beat Reading tonight then I think we will beat Birmingham at home. We've beaten Sunderland and Newcastle, and gave Liverpool a decent game at the Amex this season, so I would fancy us against anyone there. There's no reason why we cant win all three of our home games if we get a massive confidence-boosting win against the second best team in the division tonight. If we do that we'll have 72 points, and we would go into the last game at Barnsley needing a win to make 75 points, which will almost certainly be enough to make the play-offs.

But it's all about tonight, if we lose tonight I genuinely think our season is over. If we lose at home to Reading I think we'll lose to Birmingham as well, and we'll be too far behind then.

We CAN still do this, but I'm not sure anything less than a win will do tonight. If we are saying we need 75 points to be sure of making the play-offs and we only draw tonight then we'll have 4 games to make 11 points, which means we would actually need to win all 4. 74 points might be enough, but to be sure we need 75, in my opinion.

If tonight goes well:

Reading W
West Ham L
Watford W
Birmingham W
Barnsley W

75 points, play offs

If tonight goes badly:

Reading L
West Ham L
Watford W
Birmingham L
Barnsley W

69 points, 8th place.

But one thing is for absolute certain; both predictions will be complete and utterly wrong, and the remaining 5 games will turn out completely differently to how we all think they will.

Excited about tonight, biggest game at the Amex so far (again). I hope the atmosphere is good for an evening game for once, how many are Reading bringing?

Who says we can't beat West Ham? There home record is crap, they haven't won at home in 7 games !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It really does.

If tonight goes well:

Reading W
West Ham L
Watford W
Birmingham W
Barnsley W

75 points, play offs

If tonight goes badly:

Reading L
West Ham L
Watford W
Birmingham L
Barnsley W

69 points, 8th place.

i wouldn't say that out entire season is on tonight....as its been a great ride anyway ..and the pivotal moment was obviously the southampton game...however i agree with you that anything but a win tonight and i see the end of out play off hopes...what with west ham due...indeed lose tonight and u could see us losing the remainder of our games with our play off ballon well and truly popped...Reading have won like 13 out of last 15 so should be quite easy then lol

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Results yesterday for me mean a draw tonight is ok.

We havent really done it agaisnt the top 6 when it mattered. If we are a genuine Play off side then this is our time. Beat some of the top 6 on way to play offs. Dont beat them then we dont deserve to be there.

Personally I think we are a 7th or 8th placed team and we'll come up short.

Who knows though. Interesting still

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
For me, it's simpler than that: if we are in 6th place or above with everyone having three to play, I think we'll do it. If we're not, we won't.

And I really think we need 4 points from the next two games to have a chance of getting into that position.

Or even simpler: if we win more than Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Leicester do, we'll make it. It doesn't actually matter WHO we beat.

Which completely goes against my opening, rambling post.

We just need to f***ing WIN. And LOTS.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This bit is spot on. We don't concede many at all at home. Control the game til 65mins or so, then go for it.

I think control the game for 65 mins against Reading is a tad too much to ask..but i do agree we shudnt go with this ''all out attack mentality''...lets face it we r going to need a lot of resolve and a little bit of luck

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Or even simpler: if we win more than Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Leicester do, we'll make it. It doesn't actually matter WHO we beat.

Which completely goes against my opening, rambling post.

We just need to f***ing WIN. And LOTS.

no it doesn't go against your opening post...its the method of winning i think u were trying to stress

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles

Is exactly what I think. I really would like to see a more attacking game, what with the players at our disposal but now is NOT the time to try it.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
whatever happens it's been an absolutely terrific season. In the pack with some genuinely big clubs, decent away support at The Amex all season, a side showing that we are a real CHampsionship contender - even though I think we are a little short this season - the pre-Christmas run was debilitating and we have still managed to get back into the mix.

This season has rejuvenated my love for football and this club despite the joys of promotion seasons at Withdean. No longer do I simply scan the away games that will be a good atmoshpere - I genuinely cannot wait for every single home game. It's been a season of huge enjoyment and achievement. If only the positive voices were as loud and consistent as some of the pessimists on here.

I think tonight probably is a seminal moment in terms of reaching the play-offs this season - its not a seminal moment in the continued revival of my beloved Albion and that;s why I shall enjoy another night at The Amex.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Tonight is huge really as I think we are only fighting for ther last spot, maybe 2 at a push. There are some big games coming up for all the others as well so all may not be lost if we lose tonight, but it puts massvie pressure on then beating WH and Buuuurmingham.

Same back 4 as Saturday.

Midfield of Navarro, Dicker, KLL and Vicente

Strike force of CMS and Vokes

Bench of Barnes, Reyes, Buckley, Noone and Casper.

We have to have natural width tonight and against Derby, KKL and Vicente were awesome together, some more of that tonight will be great.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Results yesterday for me mean a draw tonight is ok.

We havent really done it agaisnt the top 6 when it mattered. If we are a genuine Play off side then this is our time. Beat some of the top 6 on way to play offs. Dont beat them then we dont deserve to be there.

Personally I think we are a 7th or 8th placed team and we'll come up short.

Who knows though. Interesting still

Agree with this.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
10 (73 total) or 11 (74) points are needed and I would ere on the side of 10 points myself, maybe even 9 (72) would be enough. 75 seems to high.

Blackpool need 8 points to get to 75 and have Forest and Millwall away who are both fighting for their lives. They will lose one if not both of these.
Are Cardiff going to win 3 and draw 1 of their last 4? Seems unlikely even with their relatively easy run in, they have not shown that form for the rest of the season.
Middlesbrough have not won in 8 games, and would need to win every game to reach 75 so they cannot do it.
Leicester and Hull can reach a maximum of 74 and 73 points respectively. So they can be counted out of reaching 75, yet looking at the table they still seem to be in with a shout.

Analyse it this way and I think 72 may be enough with it going down to goal difference, or 73 to be certain.

So with all this in mind tonight is not so big as it first appears. It is however, the last game we can afford to lose. A draw puts us one point outside the play offs and still able to reach 73 easily. Expect a tight game, we will not be bombing forward, patience will be needed and the first goal will be massive.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Reading are due a bad match, and we are due a win. Should be a brilliant atmosphere tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here