Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our crappy disposable society.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our 4-5 year old washing machine has been getting louder over the past few weeks, and today Wifey reckons it did it's last spin.

I phoned a recommended repairman, who said:-
'Yeah sounds like the bearings are going, that's common for a machine of that age!. I don't repair them as the cost will be over half that of a new machine'.

Naturally we didn't take up any extended warranty, for exactly the same reason.

So there we go, 1 washing machine to the dump and casually pop along to Currys to get another, £250 lighter for the experience. :rant::tantrum::rant:

B@$t@rd$

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Just shows how much this green culture we have is a load of rubbish. Household items used to last a lot longer than they do nowadays, and just scrapping it is the norm despite the damage that it does to the environment.

If they were serious about saving the planet and not just getting people to spend more on 'green' products and happily pay more in tax, making consumables more durable would have been a higher priority rather than adding a few pence to petrol etc.

Surely its far more damaging to have a new machine built from scratch and disposing of the old machine rather than just replace a small part of the current machine.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
so why not phone another repairman then? loads of people do repairs on this kind of stuff and it would still save you half the price..

If the price of a new tyre for my car was that of half the cost of a new car, I know which I'd choose.

( I know what you're getting at though )

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
We had the bearings changed on our machine, was not to expensive and (as i tempt fate!!) it is still going some 4 years on, yeah it is definatly noisier than it was when it was new, but it is "still doing a job" (god how i hate that saying !!)

To be honest, i watched the guy change the bearings, and it was not a very difficult thing to do, and i am someone who cant change a light bulb i might add.......(i have a wife for those tasks)

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
We had the bearings changed on our machine, was not to expensive and (as i tempt fate!!) it is still going some 4 years on, yeah it is definatly noisier than it was when it was new, but it is "still doing a job" (god how i hate that saying !!)

To be honest, i watched the guy change the bearings, and it was not a very difficult thing to do, and i am someone who cant change a light bulb i might add.......(i have a wife for those tasks)
depends what machine its on.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Our 4-5 year old washing machine has been getting louder over the past few weeks, and today Wifey reckons it did it's last spin.

'Yeah sounds like the bearings are going, that's common for a machine of that age!. I don't repair them as the cost will be over half that of a new machine'.

So there we go, 1 washing machine to the dump and casually pop along to Currys to get another, £250 lighter for the experience. :rant::tantrum::rant:

B@$t@rd$
shouldve pm'd me...i have EVERY bearing to fit EVERY machine in my van :thumbsup:

Just shows how much this green culture we have is a load of rubbish. Household items used to last a lot longer than they do nowadays, and just scrapping it is the norm despite the damage that it does to the environment.

If they were serious about saving the planet and not just getting people to spend more on 'green' products and happily pay more in tax, making consumables more durable would have been a higher priority rather than adding a few pence to petrol etc.

Surely its far more damaging to have a new machine built from scratch and disposing of the old machine rather than just replace a small part of the current machine.
Thatchers fault,she tore communities apart in the 80s,and to think people are thinking of voting tory.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
its how they're built tbh....bearings will go on forever, if however, the person fitting the bearing seal doesn't 'gunk' it up enough, you will always get an ingress of water that will lead to bearing failure....always ALMOST the inner bearing...btw, no 'repairman' would diagnose a noise over the phone? ive been to plenty of noisy machines (in my 20 years of doing the job by the way). not even 50% have been bearing failure

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If I could find a decent 'idiot-proof' guide on this t'internet thingy, I'd be keen to have a crack at it, but like you it's not something that come naturally to me.

Dave, the noise when spinning (it's not like I held the phone to the machine) coupled with the rough scrapping noise of the drum when empty, was all this fella needed.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
couldve been the drum spider?

not saying its NOT bearings mate, just you cant do (what is known in my trade) as a doorstep diagnosis

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
anyhow...depending o the make and model...a bearing change is a relatively simple job...can be quite time consuming though

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

B@$t@rd$

Well, you need to learn your consumer rights then young man :) A washing machine has an expected shelf life of 7-9 years and any machine you buy will be replacable or repareable up till then regardless of whatever hokey guarantee package they sold you at the time. You are nowhere near buying another machine. Be hard, They are wankers. Oh, and that means the retailer as well as the manafacturer, retailer owes you a nes or repared machine. Look it up, I'm correct.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
:wozza: climb off the leftie high horse, its got f*** all to do with politics.

I beg to differ. It has EVERYTHING to do with politics. And economics.

Not party politics, though - no serious politician for decades questioned the need to chase economic growth and, with it, the disposable society and overuse of natural resources.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
same can be said for mobile phones, when someones mobile breaks they always revert back to an old nokia device which were built to withstand nuclear testing. The new ones you get seem so die just as the contract is beginning to expire on them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here