Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ot vista/virgin

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Yes. I have tried switching it on and off again.

Got a new laptop Saturday running this ruddy vista system. I have virgin media broadband through a set top box and I can't get it to connect to the internet. Never had any problems with my old computer. Each time it takes me to the ntl signup screen saying I've connected an unknown computer - I go through the process and have had access a couple of times but each time I shut down it's back to square one. Called their helpline 3 times to no avail - they say it's an issue they are aware of and working on - no timescale.

Is anyone on here running vista with Virgin? Any tips/ideas?

Ta.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suspect that this is a Virgin problem rather than a Vista one (much as I'd like to blame Microsoft).

Perhaps it's best not to shut down until Virgin can get round to sorting out what's amiss. I'd also tell them that you're not going to pay the broadband component of your bill until it's sorted - that generally gets them moving a bit quicker.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Thanks Gwylan - Virgin have admitted it's their problem. Booked an engineer to come round between 1200 - 1600 today. Called them again at 1645 to be told the engineer had been cancelled "due to a technical reason" . Booked again for Thursday morning. The famous NTL/Virgin "customer service" rearing it's ugly head again?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I suspect that this is a Virgin problem rather than a Vista one (much as I'd like to blame Microsoft).

Why would you like to blame Microsoft? What's wrong with them?

Their software is second to none. They make cost effective, user friendly OS and applications that run on a vast array of differently configured machines.

They offer exactly what any home user or business could want. What's wrong with that?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Why would you like to blame Microsoft? What's wrong with them?

Their software is second to none. They make cost effective, user friendly OS and applications that run on a vast array of differently configured machines.

They offer exactly what any home user or business could want. What's wrong with that?

And yet despite having a veritable army of paid and unpaid beta testers, they still manage to provide highly unstable and insecure systems. Also, the new UI designs for Office 2007 and Vista are proving to be extremely unusable in the wild, and the ye-olde-fashioned Windows 95/NT format was lifted directly from OS/2.

And they don't offer high performance web or database servers, which many businesses want, which is why they're many miles from market leading in these.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
And yet despite having a veritable army of paid and unpaid beta testers, they still manage to provide highly unstable and insecure systems. Also, the new UI designs for Office 2007 and Vista are proving to be extremely unusable in the wild, and the ye-olde-fashioned Windows 95/NT format was lifted directly from OS/2.

And they don't offer high performance web or database servers, which many businesses want, which is why they're many miles from market leading in these.

Yeah you are absolutely right. Those Windows servers that the billion pound profit organisation that I work for are so poor. They have done nothing to assist them in making stupid amounts of money off their customers due to their obvious instability.

And the database servers? Oh don't even get me started on those. They do nothing for our organisation whatsoever. We just buy them to use as paperweights for the large quantities of paper that we have to keep in filing cabinets since our databases are so USELESS :rolleyes::shootself

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah you are absolutely right. Those Windows servers that the billion pound profit organisation that I work for are so poor. They have done nothing to assist them in making stupid amounts of money off their customers due to their obvious instability.

And the database servers? Oh don't even get me started on those. They do nothing for our organisation whatsoever. We just buy them to use as paperweights for the large quantities of paper that we have to keep in filing cabinets since our databases are so USELESS :rolleyes::shootself

They're not useless, they're just wildly inferior to the (sometimes free, sometimes far more expensive) alternatives.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
We got a new pc with vista premium a couple of weeks ago and it was a fucker to connect to the internet. In the end the bloke at virgin on the phone got it connected but he wasn't sure how he did it and its been fine since.

He told me it was a problem with compatibility between the speedtouch modem and vista premium and they've had a lot of problems with it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've got a dell vista laptop and it was a fucker to try and hook to the internet via Virgin/NTL. Vista didn't like the vbscript to identify my router. In the end I had to hook a PC with XP up to the router and install the router that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here