Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Noisy camping in the New Forest?

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I'm arranging a biking weekend (MTB's) for me and my mates in the summer and am looking for a campsite in the New Forest that is tolerant of noise.

We're not really rowdy but would like to be able to sit around the BBQ/camp fire into the night, have a few beers and a bit of a laugh. It seems a lot of sites are pretty stuffy and have 10-11pm curfews beyond which no noise is allowed. Has anyone ever been to a site that doesn't threaten to chuck you out if you make a little noise when you roll back form the pub.

Not up for big commercial places like Sandy Balls. As long as it's got somewhere to shower and have a dump that's all we need.

Have found one in Lymington which is pretty close but would like to be in the forest if possible.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
You could try Hollands wood nr Brockenhurst.

from memory they weren't to fussy about late (ish) noise.

make sure you camp on the right hand side of the main road through the site though, as the road noise can be almost unbearable if you camp too close to the main road.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Most of them won't let you have camp fires either: BBQs are the only option.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I have looked and Hollands Wood and written it off but if you think it might be ok I might have another look. How long ago did you go?

As for fires, I think it will be hard to find a site if the new forest that allows them. The site in lymington does though.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
I have looked and Hollands Wood and written it off but if you think it might be ok I might have another look. How long ago did you go?

As for fires, I think it will be hard to find a site if the new forest that allows them. The site in lymington does though.

Stayed at Hollands Wood quite a few times and Hollands Wood is not tolerant of noise, and as one of the replies stated it is very much a family site so I would suggest that you would need to be tucked-up and quiet by around 11.45ish at the latest.

I know from experience that even if the site warden doesn't pick you up on the noise around ten very angry mums (whose young children have been woken-up by you) will give you sufficient grief and go find a warden!

Also, if you are noisy late at night expect twenty noisy children being encouraged to play right by your tent at 6.30 in the morning and a trail of food leading to your tent flap being left to encourage the agressive donkeys into your tent.

Don't laugh, i've seen all the above at Hollands Wood!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you haven't already, you might want to ask the question on a MB forum.
The New Forest being such a popular place, I'd be surprised if it hasn't come up before now.

Mountain Biking & Bike Forums - BikeRadar

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
There used to be a seperate biker area at Roundhill, where you could rape and pillage away from the main camp. However think that went a few years ago. The wardens on any of the Forest Holidays campsites these days make Withdean stewards look tolerant!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Hollands Wood - as long as you go towards the road. The side near the meadow (away from the road) is where the families go. No wood burning - they will kick you off for it. BBQ's only. It was pretty noisy over there a few weeks back.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Thanks guys. Will look into Hollands Wood. Was my first choice but wrote it off. Am hoping as summer hols will have finished there won't be too many families there anyway.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Was at Holland wood about 3 yrs ago and agree with the others. If you can cope with the road noise, then camp to the left. there will be less people there, so you will get away with making a bit of noise. I am talking about chatting and drinking round a bbq, rather than a full blown rave.

Word of warning though, if its wet, be very careful where you camp. the site is prone to flooding, and last time we went we had to re-pitch the tent 3 times, as we kept getting flooded out!!!.

Roundhill, not far from Hollands Wood.

Very basic compared to hollands Wood but more tolerant.

No fires though, All New Forest campsites are covered by Forestry Comission rules regarding this.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Some places don't allow big groups of the same sex

I guess that's the beauty of booking online. No need to give details of the party, just the number. Although I suppose they could refuse to admit you upon arrival. That would be pretty out of order though if you have a booking.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Stayed at Hollands Wood quite a few times and Hollands Wood is not tolerant of noise, and as one of the replies stated it is very much a family site so I would suggest that you would need to be tucked-up and quiet by around 11.45ish at the latest.

I know from experience that even if the site warden doesn't pick you up on the noise around ten very angry mums (whose young children have been woken-up by you) will give you sufficient grief and go find a warden!

Also, if you are noisy late at night expect twenty noisy children being encouraged to play right by your tent at 6.30 in the morning and a trail of food leading to your tent flap being left to encourage the agressive donkeys into your tent.

Don't laugh, i've seen all the above at Hollands Wood!!!

Angry mums and noisy kids I can deal with. That's what headphones are for. Kids will be back at school anyway. As for donkeys in the tent. The tent is only small so they wouldn't fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here