Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Central heating / boiler problems

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
When I had central heating / electrics put into my gaff about 18 months ago, my cousin did the work. And he did it cheaply, cos I was on a tight budget.

He fitted a Ravenheat White Star combi boiler (from B&Q, I think) and all was good for about eight months. Then it started screeching occasionally. It was annoying, but nothing terrible.

Now, however, it's non-stop. Whenever the heating's on, the boiler suddenly starts screeching, waking me and the neighbours up in the morning, even making the windows rattle this morning the noise was so loud. Turn the taps on and the boiler starts screeching again; turn them off and on a few times and it shuts up, only to start off again a few minutes later.

I don't think my cousin is Corgi registered, so I presume this will nullify any guarantee (if any) that came with the boiler. So how do i find a reputable plumber / gas man to come round and check out the problem? Cos I cannot afford to get a new boiler and am worried that someone will take one look and take me for a ride by telling me it's knackered.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Could it be normal? Will it simply need a service?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks chaps.

Boiler details are here...http://handyman.everything-warehouse.com/PID-tEjELRUYsEzzl/Ravenheat-White-Star-24T-Combi-Inc-Timer/

Last edited:

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Never hire a cowboy to do a professional job. It always goes wrong. Look what happened when M Hinshelwood took over as manager, way out his depth.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Ask Virgs Geezer. She had some work done not long ago and it was supposed to be good. Sounds like all you need to do is adjust the water pressure though mate. Saying that i have not got a clue how to do it but that is what we had last year.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Take out a British Gas maintenance contract.

They should service the boiler properly when you start the contract, and then will fix it if it breaks down.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
GET OUT OF THE HOUSE QUICK.................don`t try to grab any possessions just run.If you have more than one child then grab your favourite and just get out .

Or get the pump checked.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
H block said:
GET OUT OF THE HOUSE QUICK.................don`t try to grab any possessions just run.If you have more than one child then grab your favourite and just get out .

Or get the pump checked.
:lolol:

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
My pump went recently on a combi boiler, big knocking noises whenever hot water was turned on. Luckily I'm covered by BGas contract.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have been on a 3* British Gas service plan for years but their service in Sussex is dreadful, so as soon as this year is over in June, I am going to use a plumber recommended by another Nsc'er.

robbied69

Sep 20, 2005
North London
If the flow of water through the boiler is insufficient, then the boiler can be noisy. It is very important to have the correct water flow rate, especially in wall-hung boilers.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
robbied69 said:
If the flow of water through the boiler is insufficient, then the boiler can be noisy. It is very important to have the correct water flow rate, especially in wall-hung boilers.

...which mine is. Will look into that, thanks Robbied.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yorkie said:
I have been on a 3* British Gas service plan for years but their service in Sussex is dreadful, so as soon as this year is over in June, I am going to use a plumber recommended by another Nsc'er.

Said plumber doesn't happen to work in London does he / she? ???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
eastlondonseagull said:
Said plumber doesn't happen to work in London does he / she? ???

Sorry, no.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
As I said before, all you need to do is adjust the water pressure. Think it is just a case of adjusting the stop cock ( or something like that ). It is probably to do with the piping and not the actual boiler. Deffo try it first as it will asve you a lot of money if I am right and lets face it, I usually am:lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Sounds like the pump bearings have failed........combi boilers have an automatic airvent, but if the screw on top has been turned off, the air in the top of the pump cannot escape.......resulting in the pump bearing running dry and the aweful screaching noise you describe......it probably will need a new pump.

Out of interest.......what pressure is showing on the guage?
It should be about 1 Bar when cold, and up to about 1.5 Bar when hot.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
bakesy said:
Sounds like the pump bearings have failed........combi boilers have an automatic airvent, but if the screw on top has been turned off, the air in the top of the pump cannot escape.......resulting in the pump bearing running dry and the aweful screaching noise you describe......it probably will need a new pump.

Normally between 1 and 2, though it has dropped to zero before now, causing the pilot to go out. Whenever that's happened I just turn some knob on the pipework, the pressure goes up and, bingo, the boiler fires again.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
bakesy said:

wondered how long it'd be before you replied on this thread :lolol:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
seagullion said:
wondered how long it'd be before you replied on this thread :lolol:
Only trying to help:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here