Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Apple Mac vs PC ?

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
I need to replace my existing laptop and have decided that a desktop is now more suitable. Most of the time I will be using word docs as well as internet etc...

My question is what are the advantages of getting a mac compared to a PC?

over to you and many thanks for any advice......

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1. OSX is a rock solid operating system.
2. Apple hardware looks bloody cool.
3. Powerful kit. Video and graphics cards and chips are generally excellent.
4. Still very resilient to virus and malware attacks. Not known one in 15 years of using and owning a Mac.
5. Easy to use, very intuitive.
6. Did I say they look good?
7. Great value software, Garageband, iDVD, iMovie etc. are all very easy to use, as well as automated backing up with Timemachine built in.
8. Fully integrated with the PC world. Files such as .doc, .xls etc. are all readable and transferable on a Mac. Plus you can run Windoze on it through Bootcamp (again built in).

If you got a like for like quote for a PC with the same guts as a Mac, you'd find the prices are not as far apart as people would have you believe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1. OSX is a rock solid operating system.
2. Apple hardware looks bloody cool.
3. Powerful kit. Video and graphics cards and chips are generally excellent.
4. Still very resilient to virus and malware attacks. Not known one in 15 years of using and owning a Mac.
5. Easy to use, very intuitive.
6. Did I say they look good?
7. Great value software, Garageband, iDVD, iMovie etc. are all very easy to use, as well as automated backing up with Timemachine built in.
8. Fully integrated with the PC world. Files such as .doc, .xls etc. are all readable and transferable on a Mac. Plus you can run Windoze on it through Bootcamp (again built in).

If you got a like for like quote for a PC with the same guts as a Mac, you'd find the prices are not as far apart as people would have you believe.

This. Do it. You'll never regret it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This. Do it. You'll never regret it.

I did this, and I love my iMac, can't get my head around OSX but it runs W7 beautifully. Got the best of both really, a great PC with all the benefits previously mentioned, and I can go into OSX any time I like to see what all the fuss is about *.

*To be fair, the software I use mainly is available for PC only, if it was on Mac I would probably use it more.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I don't think I could go back after picking up my first ever Mac earlier this year. The biggest thing for me is OSX's simplicity, intuitiveness and all round ease of use. I know it's a cliche but it really does "just work" straight out of the box. No fannying about telling Windoze you need this, that and the other to make everything compatible, play your media files and get it running smoothly.

It's lovely and quick. It looks beautiful. It boots up SO much quicker than ANY Windoze machine I've ever used. It never crashes. It doesn't have this messy file structure with programs installing themselves all over the shop - installing and removing programs is as easy as saying yes or no. I love the iPhone/iPod style app store which gives easy one click access to a whole host of useful apps and games, a great deal of which are completely free. And when you want to update your OS it'll only cost you a reasonable £30 or so, as opposed to the £100 Microsoft charge for even the most basic edition of the latest Windoze.

It kind of feels like it doesn't need so much hand holding. It can figure things out on its own, it's not perpetually prompting for confirmation from me, it doesn't need me to point it in the right direction because it gets there by itself.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I dont have an iPhone for a start, but I can't help but praise my experience with my Mac compared to the experiences I've had with EVERY Windoze machine I've ever owned or used.

Yes it is more expensive BUT it is a lot more solidly built and future proof so I get the distinct impression it will last a lot longer. In fact if you look on ebay at Macs that are even five years old now, they're still fetching a fair price because they're still capable and decent machines.

I think the iPhone is unreasonably overpriced, given that there are competitor handsets that are just as capable, if not better, for half the price. However when it comes to the desktops and laptops, Apple have got the right to charge more than their Windoze powered equivalents because you are getting so much more than a case load of components.

Go into a store and just have a play on a Mac. Trying is believing

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
What's the point of buying a Mac to install Windows on it. It kind of defeats the point.

For me personally, the whole idea of mac was spoiled for me when they moved to Intel Processors. I was ready to buy a G5 Tower. At least, correct me If I am wrong you could not install Windows on it, so you made the change for good.

When they used the G5 processors they where unique. People bashed the G5 processors for performance, but still it made the Mac different.

Since then Linux has also got so much better, so I use this now.

The only difference between Mac and Linux is of course the software. But if your not bothered and happy to use the alternatives, then Linux is great. And like Mac, once you have got used to it, you end up staying with it.

Just don't infect your lovely mac by installing Windows.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
you need anti virus for these now .

You don't need.

However, it is true to say that after years of being virus and malware free, the Mac is finally in the sights of the bad guys. The reason for this is believed to be simple maths...

It is thought that about 15-20% of PC users are the technically naive (and stupid) who are likely to fall for the usual tricks the bad guys use to hook us. Over the past 5 years or so, PC sales have gradually diminished, whilst Mac sales have been absolutely soaring. As a results, although still very small compared to the PC market, Macs now represent around 15% of total machine sales.

So, the total number of Macs out there now roughly equals the number of PCs in the hands of 'stupid' users. Mac owners have been fed on a diet of care-free no-virus usage and as such, their guard is generally down and so it is believed they are highly susceptible to falling for bad stuff. Additionally, Mac users tend to be wealthier than your average PC user so, if you are able to compromise them, your haul is likely to be of greater value.

The Mac is likely to receive further focus from dodgy geezers, but I'd still rather have a Mac than a PC from the angle of security.

Beyond all that, Macs are clearly funky, cool and fab. PCs aren't. Job done.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Beyond all that, Macs are clearly funky, cool and fab. PCs aren't. Job done.
knew Bozza would be able to phrase it better then me , but this is the case :) no question about it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another vote for Mac. Just better.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
i used to have pc got a MacBook Pro last week its amazing, def never looking back so easy to use, bloody good support in shop and it look super sexy

once you go mac you never look back :clap:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i used to have pc got a MacBook Pro last week its amazing, def never looking back so easy to use, bloody good support in shop and it look super sexy

once you go mac you never look back :clap:

...via the Amazon link on NSC? I noticed a Macbook Pro go through on our affiliate report.

I have just done this recently the difference was £600...would have preferred a Mac, but just couldn't afford it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ask yourself how many people suggest PCs are better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here