Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Orient to challenge WHU taking over the Olympic Stadium

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I do agree with him, although the bare facts are that they are only a few hundred yards closer to teh Olympic stadium than West Ham.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I do agree with him, although the bare facts are that they are only a few hundred yards closer to teh Olympic stadium than West Ham.

Yeah, and I cant imagine Orient have too many glory hunters. You'd have to be a pretty committed fan to watch football at Brisbane Road every week, I cant see too many of them deciding to watch West Ham instead becuase they've moved half a mile closer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah, and I cant imagine Orient have too many glory hunters. You'd have to be a pretty committed fan to watch football at Brisbane Road every week, I cant see too many of them deciding to watch West Ham instead becuase they've moved half a mile closer.

WHU would be moving more than 2 miles closer to Orient, to be fair. My point is that, they are only 2.4 miles from the site, as opposed to Orients 2.1 - only 500 yards further away, which rather flies in the face of Hearn's claim that they are 'undisputably the incumbent (local) club'.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
FFS. I thought LO wanted the hockey stadium after the olympics.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why dont they just SHARE?
Would have been ideal if the fuckwitts building the stadium had thought about this issue before they built it. A 3 tier 80,000 stadium could have had the top tier lopped off, and been configured such that the middle (now top) tier could be tarped off unless required. This works well in some North American stadiums (particularly the stadium in Seattle) apparently.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
WHU would be moving more than 2 miles closer to Orient, to be fair. My point is that, they are only 2.4 miles from the site, as opposed to Orients 2.1 - only 500 yards further away, which rather flies in the face of Hearn's claim that they are 'undisputably the incumbent (local) club'.

What's a couple of miles between friends?

Hearn wanted us kicked out the league. f*** him. All we did was physically attack one of his players.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
FFS. I thought LO wanted the hockey stadium after the olympics.

Which is where they will end up!

Hearn knows he's pissing in the wind, but it's important he is seen to be doing something.

Brisbane will be sold off/developed, LO playing at the hockey stadium and WHU fans going blind becauce they're squinting so hard to see the game.

I think the issue is that West Ham will probably heavily discount tickets (or even give them away free to local schools) in an effort to fill what is undoubtedly far too big a ground for their historical supporter base. Given the choice between paying c£20 to see Orient in League One at the crappy 'Matchroom' stadium and paying £15 to watch (potentially) Premiership football at the Olympic Stadium, which are they likely to choose. In particular, which are the young supporters (who are the season-ticket holders of the future) likely to want to see?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think the issue is that West Ham will probably heavily discount tickets (or even give them away free to local schools) in an effort to fill what is undoubtedly far too big a ground for their historical supporter base. Given the choice between paying c£20 to see Orient in League One at the crappy 'Matchroom' stadium and paying £15 to watch (potentially) Premiership football at the Olympic Stadium, which are they likely to choose. In particular, which are the young supporters (who are the season-ticket holders of the future) likely to want to see?

I see your point, but I cant see that too many fair-weather fans go to Orient, so I cant see them switching allegiances. When we were really shit, if Chelsea had relocated to Hove, would you have gone and watched them instead? I think Orient are shit enough to keep hold of the few fans they have, if that makes sense.

If West Ham redeveloped Upton Park to hold 60,000 I think it would have had the same effect that this will. A team moving a couple of tube stops closer really cant make that much of a difference, in my opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I see your point, but I cant see that too many fair-weather fans go to Orient, so I cant see them switching allegiances. When we were really shit, if Chelsea had relocated to Hove, would you have gone and watched them instead? I think Orient are shit enough to keep hold of the few fans they have, if that makes sense.

Existing fans no, I wouldn't expect them to suddenly shift allegiences just because West Ham have parked their tanks on the lawn.

But when the existing fanbase all start DYING, they're not going to be replaced by a new generation of fans if those fans have the choice of watching football at a higher level, with a bigger club, in the same vicinity for a similar (or cheaper ?) price.

Even if West Ham are relegated (and Orient by some miracle go up), West Ham have been and will always be a bigger club than Orient, and more attractive to go and support if the choice between them is that close in proximity.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Which is where they will end up!

Hearn knows he's pissing in the wind, but it's important he is seen to be doing something.

Brisbane will be sold off/developed, LO playing at the hockey stadium and WHU fans going blind becauce they're squinting so hard to see the game.

Lol

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's not just a case of proximity.

To make the Olympic stadium work, West Ham may have to offer tickets that will undercut Orient. It's hard to deny that will effect Orient's attendances.

It's a football league (not an open market) and that's why the rules are in place.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Leyton Orient do have a valid argument that West Ham will be able to discount tickets and also give away 10,000 "complimentary" tickets to local schools which eventually will destroy Orient's fanbase. I see the Premier League have distanced themselves on the rules concerning a Premier club moving to the near vicinity of another Premier or league club by saying they have to be looked at as a whole instead of separate sub paragraphs even though Barry Hearn seems to think its all black and white.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I heard Gold on the radio after Wet Spam got the gig.

He said they had agreed a price for a 250 year lease for the stadium and would be offering the same deal to the athletics board.

Maybe it was just me but something in his tone of voice made me think that the athletics board would never agree to the terms and that would free them to remove the track and do what Spuds were going to do anyway!!!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Existing fans no, I wouldn't expect them to suddenly shift allegiences just because West Ham have parked their tanks on the lawn.

But when the existing fanbase all start DYING, they're not going to be replaced by a new generation of fans if those fans have the choice of watching football at a higher level, with a bigger club, in the same vicinity for a similar (or cheaper ?) price.

Even if West Ham are relegated (and Orient by some miracle go up), West Ham have been and will always be a bigger club than Orient, and more attractive to go and support if the choice between them is that close in proximity.

The problem Orient already have is that their traditional fanbase doesn't live in the area anymore, because that part of london is cheap enough for immigrants to move into. It's the same for West Ham which is a big Asian/pakistani area now, West Hams traditional support has moved to essex.

As Orients fanbase gets old they will struggle to replace them as it is, the OS will just make it worse for them and possibly speed up the process. If you have to travel from essex to support a team anyway it's more likely that you'll chose the one in the big new stadium.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What's a couple of miles between friends?

Hearn wanted us kicked out the league. f*** him. All we did was physically attack one of his players.

This x2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here