Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Only 8000 to see Reading.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very disappointing. Far more fussed about this than the Chelsea game.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Evening game.
Unattractive opposition that we only played a few months ago.

Yes FDM testimonial etc etc, but if it had of been at the Withdean, he'd not have got 8000

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If its true that Kuipers chose Reading as the opposition then he wants his head checking, but the club are still totally out of order for stitching him up with a Chelsea fixture 4 days earlier.

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
Roughly the attendance of the Withdean, sounds about right. I reckon a lot of our current STH's don't even know who Michel is!

Exactly what I said to my mate when he was moaning about the Attendance! I bet almost everyone there tonight will be Withdean regulars!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
..and lets not forget he did depart some time ago so even for Withdeaners he is a distant memory.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If its true that Kuipers chose Reading as the opposition then he wants his head checking, but the club are still totally out of order for stitching him up with a Chelsea fixture 4 days earlier.

I'd hardly say the club stitched him up. Do you think we'd have got £500k in ticket sales for tonight (keeping in mind the club would have given most of this to him/his charity anyway.)

Do you think the club would turn down Chelsea? Saturday was their only UK pre-season game.

Also do we think that playing Kuipers for at least a half, instead of Brez, Ankergren or Kuszczak a week before our first competitive game is ideal prep?

Last edited:

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
8000 for a testimonial is actually not that bad for mid week match. Either way Michael will get his richly deserved testimonial which is rare in this day and age.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

The club's primary responsibility is to the fans in bringing success this season. Chelsea as a warm up match will play a much more important part in that preparation than a half hearted warm up (FDM playing for the Albion says it all).

Kuipers chose the opposition.

The fans choose to go or not ???

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I didn't go to Chelsea.
I'm not going to Reading.
I am however going to Crawley.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps we'll be rolling out some OLDER chants tonight then?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As I understand it Reading are only asking for their travel costs which is peanuts, petrol fare basically.

As an aside Chelsea got something like 50% of the gate receipts. Yes MEGABUCKS Chelsea.

ALSO Michel did want a dutch team BUT someone like AJAX wanted stupid money to come and all the luxury trappings as well 5* hotels etc.

Source one of FDMS testimonial committee.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Where did the rumour come from that he chose Reading!? Agreed re Chelsea fixture. Something not quite right in the planning of the timing there. Why not play Reading this coming Saturday instead of Creepy on Friday?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a significant expense for what amounts to a kickabout and he'll make a shed load of money from this anyway - money he probably doesn't need. I can't get too upset on his behalf if the gate is 8,000.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It's a shame it's not more, and not just because of the money. It would have been lovely for him to play in front of a full Amex, but then again that would have been hard to achieve for a testimonial without amazing opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here