Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ones that got away

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Obviously the Ian Wright trial saga of 1983 has been well documented on here and elsehwere, as well as the Roy Keane cancelled trial of 1988, but talking at the end of last week a mate recalled the legendary Tony '0898' Millard speaking at the first Gulls Eye dinner in Jan 1989 and recalling how Alan Mullery missed out on two transfer targets in the late 1970's.
Two youngsters, Peter Reid from Bolton and John Aldridge from Newport County, both not pursued by the manager due to 'board refusal'.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe both went on to play in World Cup quarter finals!

Any other names we missed out on from yesteryear spring to mind?

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Oh good thread!

I don't suppose letting Dean Saunders go for a pittance qualifies but did he or Barry Lloyd push for the transfer? If the latter then that's a bigger scandal!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ray Houghton was supposed to be signing before he became famous

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh good thread!

I don't suppose letting Dean Saunders go for a pittance qualifies but did he or Barry Lloyd push for the transfer? If the latter then that's a bigger scandal!

No barry never wanted to sell him, BUT the board needed the money

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Not quite the same because i think he was actually at the club but i am not sure he played for us,but Ian Muir springs to mind.I know he never played in the world cup but he was a very good goal scorer.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
No barry never wanted to sell him, BUT the board needed the money

Fair dos. But everyone knew at the time he was worth so much more - 50 grand I think?

But like you say, if we needed the money, beggars can't be choosers. A tidy reversal in a way, of Mark Beeney/Leeds and Virgo/Celtic...

Sorry to be off-topic.

Bye.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Oh good thread!

Actually Albion history teaches us that Baz got £60,000 more than the club were prepared to let Saunders walk out the door for.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who remembers Kevin Brock ? Turned us down as said he was too good for us. ?

Didn't he sit and watch a game and walk out before the end saying how he wasn't joining such a shit club ? :lolol: He wasn't all that anyway.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Who remembers Kevin Brock ? Turned us down as said he was too good for us. What about Rainer Bonhof ? Wasn't he meant to be joining us ?

Brock never lived up to his ego, what about Martin Kewon ?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Who remembers Kevin Brock ? Turned us down as said he was too good for us. What about Rainer Bonhof ? Wasn't he meant to be joining us ?

Ernest I seem to remember some tabloid report about Bonhof coming, do you remember those two Peruvians who played in a friendly at the dog track?

BTW just got back from Bournemouth and I'm pleased to report that Roger De Courcy and Nookie are still working, sadly didn't catch the show but might go back later in the summer as both Chico and Joe Longthorne are in season at the Pier Theatre.

jharris

Feb 27, 2009
Steve Sidwell and Ivar Ingimarsson chose Reading ahead of us having been on loan at the Albion.
Peter Beagrie was a target for Chris Cattlin when he was at Middlesbro but the inflated house prices down south back then ruled that one out, Beagrie went onto Everton and Sheff Utd amongst others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here