Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One week left of the Transfer window...

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Following our worrying form over the past few days and injuries/suspensions what positions need strengthening as a priority to get our season going?

From being at the match yesterday I would say we need a Left back urgently as Whing is not a LB. Virgo must not play RB as he is not quick enough..

We need a creative player in Midfield NOW and then play Dicker/OR Navarro Or Crofts as the holding player.

I would also say we need to sort out our striking options as after yesterday it demonstrated that we have a couple of players who can score....but we have not hit the right partnership as yet..

I spoke to whing and Davies on Thursday in town and they cannot understand why Davies is not getting a run and both feel he should get a go....Davies says he has no idea what he needs to do..?!!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I honestly don't think there is any money left in the pot, except a bit for loanees.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I honestly don't think there is any money left in the pot, except a bit for loanees.

RS said that he wanted 2-3 more players and he has got the winger in last week...

The shorfalls are for all to see at the moment and unless something is done sharpish we are never going to look like the team we all imagined we would be this year.

:shrug:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I think it will be obvious to anyone who has seen us play this season that none of our strikers like to play as a target man, and all need to feed off of such a player, so that has to be a priority. I think central midfield will sort itself out and I would player Dicker and one other, perhaps Thornhill but we need to patient because the game is all about partnerships and understanding one anothers game.

I would be tempted when McNulty is fit to play 532 with Whing Elphick Tunnicliffe Virgo and McNulty at the back, Navarro, Dicker and Thornhill or Crofts in Midfield and Dickinson/Forster and a new striker up front.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I think it will be obvious to anyone who has seen us play this season that none of our strikers like to play as a target man, and all need to feed off of such a player, so that has to be a priority. I think central midfield will sort itself out and I would player Dicker and one other, perhaps Thornhill but we need to patient because the game is all about partnerships and understanding one anothers game.

I would be tempted when McNulty is fit to play 532 with Whing Elphick Tunnicliffe Virgo and McNulty at the back, Navarro, Dicker and Thornhill or Crofts in Midfield and Dickinson/Forster and a new striker up front.

I think that sort of line-up is very unlikely, given that Russell Slade has FOUR wingers at his disposal...(Cox, Wright, Bennett and McCleod )

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I think that sort of line-up is very unlikely, given that Russell Slade has FOUR wingers at his disposal...(Cox, Wright, Bennett and McCleod )

Didn't say it was likely, just what I thought would be the best formation. To be honest the two wingers from last season are not currently worth a place in the side, and obviously the jury is out on the other two after only a few games, but without a striker that is up for the occasional header what is the point of playing wingers anyway?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Didn't say it was likely, just what I thought would be the best formation. To be honest the two wingers from last season are not currently worth a place in the side, and obviously the jury is out on the other two after only a few games, but without a striker that is up for the occasional header what is the point of playing wingers anyway?

Given the space on the wings they are very effective at transferring defence into attack. If wingers were pointless I'm sure Real Madrid wouldn't have shelled out 80m on Cristiano Ronaldo..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I would in fact prefer to play 4-3-3.

Whing-Virgo-Tunnicliffe-McNulty

Dicker

Crofts-Navarro

Cox-Bennet

Dickinson

Stockport fans have said that Dickinson plays better on his own with two wingers supporting than with a striker. Of course, I don't expect NSC to accept anything but the good old english 4-4-2..

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Why the hell isn't Davies being given a run out?

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Given the space on the wings they are very effective at transferring defence into attack. If wingers were pointless I'm sure Real Madrid wouldn't have shelled out 80m on Cristiano Ronaldo..

I think Ronaldo is a bit more than a winger, and comparing the best player in the world to our wingers is a little far fetched even for this board.

I don't think wide players are pointless but in a 532 formation the fullbacks are used as the wide players going forward, something McNulty is very good at although I admit Whing is not so effective at this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure we need anybody else, if Slade can't get us up the table with what he has at his disposal now, he should be given the sack after another 8 games or so and let the new manager buy some players in the January window. No excuses we have the players, do we have the manager? (IMO)

Slade has spent more than any Albion manager for decades, there can be no excuses for failure.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Is the window definitely closing on the 31st, given that it's a Bank Holiday ?. Didn't they push it back by a day last time due to the last day being a Sunday ?.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I think we need a short term loan striker (Lee Trundle maybe?) and a permanent attacking midfielder in the Bradley Johnson mould.

I am not sure about bringing in a defender on loan, how long is Jake Wright out for?

Today Argus reckons both Mcnulty and Jake Wright are only out for two weeks, we'll see but if this is right then good news.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure we need anybody else, if Slade can't get us up the table with what he has at his disposal now, he should be given the sack after another 8 games or so and let the new manager buy some players in the January window. No excuses we have the players, do we have the manager? (IMO)

Slade has spent more than any Albion manager for decades, there can be no excuses for failure.

I tend to agree that we don't need anyone else. I think the overwhelming problem we had on Saturday was the two central midfielders failing to work together. The only change I would make is to put Dicker in for Navarro. It is foolish to think that just because we have some injuries we can afford to splash the cash every time. From what I have seen of Jake Wright, he is more than adequate at left back and when McNulty is back that position is covered.

As for the centre of defence, I would stick with Tunnicliffe and, when not suspended, Elphick. Virgo should be able to play at Right back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here