Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One law for a Lord, another for the rest of us.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Not what I thought from the title Like most I was expecting the opposite, Yeah shouldve banged both of up but thats the world we live in unfortunatly, Make an example of one and dont be seen to picking on the social misfit, sad world but typical no justice anywhere

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Without defending benefit fraud, it seems that there are a few ins and outs to the woman's case, whereas the peer admitted just deliberately defrauding the public.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Whilst having no sympathy for the 'Lord' I feel that this is perhaps the sort of case where the sentence could have been optional, ie either banged up OR a really punitive fine which would, of course, do something for the public purse whilst relieving pressure on the prison system , and, saving the taxpayer of the cost of banging up said 'Lord' for however long.

PS - I do mean really, seriously punitive !

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I agree with the premis i assume you are making, that the law must be blind and no one should be in fear or favour because of who they are. But if you accept the roll of Lord of the realm you really do need to lead a life that is an example to others, not see it as a way of getting away with fraud.
How will we ever be able to expect people on the bread line to be honest and above board when we have people at the very top of society that think the rules only apply to the lower orders.
i am not sure that i agree with the vast disparity of sentences but the top must be spotless or we may as well give up asking the rest of us to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here