Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics Opening Ceremony - Verdict

How was the ceremony?

• Total voters

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Beijing opening ceremony was visually amazing, it was done so it didn't matter where you were from it would look good. This only people who already know British history will understand it.

I assume as you and your other mates thought it was terrible is because you are all about 15. Anyone that thought it was terrible is not worth having a reasoned debate with really. Why did you just not switch it off and play Gears of War or something ?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If they had thrown the real queen out of the helicopter that would have livened it up to the tune of god save the queen by the pistols. Loved the fact they used the word 'cum' (Frankie) in the ceremony. Bored through most of it but loved the cauldron. Aesthetically too busy and confusing.

Delighted to hear God Save the Queen (Pistols version), Going Underground, Relax and Floyd. Arctic Monkeys were good too (but not Come Together). Shame about Macca. Would've been a nice touch to finish with In a Rut by The Ruts or Boredom by the Buzzcocks!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Both wifie and I thought it was utterly superb. Was very, very impressed and surprised.

We had commentary from Barry Davies (who, in his own styles, got lots of things wrong) and was at one point not speaking at all and obviously getting it in the neck from the producers to do some commentary! Personally, I thought he got it about right - there was no need to speak when the pictures speak for themselves, or if when you do speak, you get it wrong anyway!

Enjoyed all of it and was particularly surprised when Mrs Lawrence helped carry the Olympic flag. Thought Seb's speech was spot on.

Mr Bean was not too bad, certainly did not make me cringe. The local channel cut to adverts as soon as the fireworks finished at the end, so we were spared Paul McCartney, which sounds like a blessing. Was also delighted that Mr Beckham did not have a prominent role.

All in all, an extremely good, well produced and enacted performance. No major hitches and, other than Macca, no wheeling out of the usual suspects. 10/10.

They showed Macca on Supersport. What channel were you watching?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All the people having a pop at the Queen. Do one. She is an 86 year old Woman who has to do these " chores " every single day of her life for 60 years. She did not chose this role she was obliged to do it. I could not think of a worse life despite the luxuries of having to go to hundreds of engagements a year and be nice to people. It was over midnight, she must have been tired and would rather be in bed with a cup of cocoa. Most people of 86 are either dead, doodle alley or in a nursing home being fed having regressed to being a baby again so what she does is incredible really. She went, she made a couple of speeches and she got involved in the clip. FFS you are a harsh band of critics.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It was a tremendous show. Apart from Paul McCartney, he was a bit PANTS.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just to add my thoughts. The starting piece up until the rings were forged, I thought was stunning. For me it went downhill rather, with a bizarre section on the NHS (WTF was that about !!), then a rather muddled section of 70s/80s music. The athletes walk-in was always going to be a slow section - how long can you get excited about seeing hundreds of people walking with flags - that's not a criticism, not much you can do about that, but it hit another high point with the design of the cauldron and the lighting of it. I switched off after that, 3 1/2 hours was enough for me.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I assume as you and your other mates thought it was terrible is because you are all about 15. Anyone that thought it was terrible is not worth having a reasoned debate with really. Why did you just not switch it off and play Gears of War or something ?

I was the youngest by 20 years and I'm 19.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It is irrelevant where the IOC is based. The 2012 Games are in LONDON where we speak English.

And, smarty pants, there are THREE national languages in Switzerland.

There are 4 national languages in Switzerland (German, French, Italian and Romansch) but the 2 official languages of the IOC are French and English. Hence, all the announcements are made in French and English. It's not that difficult to understand if you put your mind to it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I was all for celebrating the NHS. Why not celebrate living in a country where we made a decision after the war to care for each other? It is one of the hallmarks of a civilised society and notably more than, say, China, India or the United States offer their citizens.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
DJ Tiesto composed 'Parade of the Athletes' for Athens in 2004 - I have the CD.

Should have dumped McCartney and brought in our own 'stormin' Norman IMHO............ repeat his AMEX set from last month.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
They came back after the ads so we could watch Macca leading a singsong.

Oh Well. It was not as bad a mistake as my mother in law - she watched up until the athletes came in on Sky News and could not work out what my wife was texting her about!! ie Queen and James Bond etc. So she missed most of it. Luckily I have no doubt it will be repeated on Supersport 50 times once it is all over as they will have to fill up their schedules again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here