Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics Opening Ceremony - Verdict

How was the ceremony?

• Total voters

- who the hell were those people who ran around the stadium and then lit the flame - why?
- who were the people who "sponsored" them? What was that all about?

The sponsors were Sir Steve Redgrave, Lynn Davies, Duncan Goodhew, Dame Kelly Holmes, Dame Mary Peters, Shirley Robertson and Daley Thompson.

If you need to ask who these people are, I can only assume you're younger than I thought.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I only watched the last 20 mins or so ... recorded the rest to watch this evening. Was underwhelmed with what I saw:
- who the hell were those people who ran around the stadium and then lit the flame - why?
- who were the people who "sponsored" them? What was that all about?
- Muhammed Ali should not have been dragged out for this. He is a wreck of a human being and should be kept out of the limelight. If you can justify his presence then Maggie should have been alongside him dribbling.
- Paul McCartney is, I would suggest, past his best.
- why the Arctic Monkeys? Absolutely nothing whatsoever special about their couple of songs.
- the ceremony was in ENGLAND for the LONDON olympics. The games originated in GREECE. So why all the French being spoken? Feck of froggies.

Sincerely hoping that the rest is better.

I agree with the Paul McCartney part, I thought he was unnecessary. But every other part of your post is the most ill-informed load of balls I've read in a while.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I thought that what was done, was done well. However, I failed to see the events that actually shaped our great nation, and little related to London. It looked like a pageant for somewhere like Manchester. Why no ships?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I voted great.

My only criticisms ;

It was bit long
Macca

And the worst performance came from the Queen and her minions. Unbelievably miserable looking. Even the BBC commentator was kind of at a loss for what to say when the British team came in. All the people who bang on about what a great job she does, well this was her biggest job in years and she couldn't even raise a smile.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yup. Thought the Mr Bean bit was cringey too.
I thought Mr Bean was good for 30 seconds, and then I started cringing. That went for quite a few things though.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I voted great.

My only criticisms ;

It was bit long
Macca

And the worst performance came from the Queen and her minions. Unbelievably miserable looking. Even the BBC commentator was kind of at a loss for what to say when the British team came in. All the people who bang on about what a great job she does, well this was her biggest job in years and she couldn't even raise a smile.

I did wonder if she is ill, she is quite old as well! Prince Phillip was in good spirits though.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I voted great.

My only criticisms ;

It was bit long
Macca

Agree with this 100% . Many of you did not like it, & Queeny agreed with you if her facial expressions are any thing to go by. Was she texting someone when the Team GB were announced ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The sponsors were Sir Steve Redgrave, Lynn Davies, Duncan Goodhew, Dame Kelly Holmes, Dame Mary Peters, Shirley Robertson and Daley Thompson.

If you need to ask who these people are, I can only assume you're younger than I thought.

And to think the bookies closed the book on Roger Bannister, some very rich turf accountants around today!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Utterly f***ing brilliant. Just amazing. What a fantastic show with symbolism, history, humour, touching moments and we have reminded the world how great we are.

this in huge chunks

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
From the clips i saw it was summed up best by a chum "a giant pet shop boys concert" he didnt mean it in a good way.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
And to think the bookies closed the book on Roger Bannister, some very rich turf accountants around today!

Bookies are paying out on each of the sponsors - I guess they can afford to :lol:
Inspired decision to hand the key task to future generations encapsulating the whole concept of the Games' heritage.

Thought Danny Boyle did the country proud. Shame Liz couldn't muster a smile - loved her James Bond cameo though - fair play to her:)

Still waiting for Call Me Dave to even hint at disapproval for Aiden ("me wearing nazi uniform was a misunderstanding") Burley's comments opposing the "multi-cultural crap" - might have to wait a long time and even then suspect it will be apologist rather than apology.

McCartney out of sync with his backing track (should've mimed) and his daughter's track suit design were the only low points

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here