Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympics Opening Ceremony - Verdict

How was the ceremony?

• Total voters

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Its the opening ceremony for a sporting event and it showed almost f*** all sport

With the greatest respect, it was always gonna be somewhat sport-light. I bet you a North Stand dispensed pie of your choice that in future you'll look back & realise that this nation's effort was head & shoulders above what anybody else will have to offer.

God bless Danny Boyle & the assembled cast of thousands. Made me feel very proud to be British (for a change).

Marvelous Jubilympic Scenes! :clap:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
They decided not to show it live in the States, so they are still showing the highlights now. It was much better than I expected. Very British, utterly bonkers in bits which the Yanks will love, with some outstanding bits like the Bond / Queen segment. One disappointment – the bell was not cast in London, the Whitechapel Bell Company outsourced it to the Netherlands.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Both wifie and I thought it was utterly superb. Was very, very impressed and surprised.

We had commentary from Barry Davies (who, in his own styles, got lots of things wrong) and was at one point not speaking at all and obviously getting it in the neck from the producers to do some commentary! Personally, I thought he got it about right - there was no need to speak when the pictures speak for themselves, or if when you do speak, you get it wrong anyway!

Enjoyed all of it and was particularly surprised when Mrs Lawrence helped carry the Olympic flag. Thought Seb's speech was spot on.

Mr Bean was not too bad, certainly did not make me cringe. The local channel cut to adverts as soon as the fireworks finished at the end, so we were spared Paul McCartney, which sounds like a blessing. Was also delighted that Mr Beckham did not have a prominent role.

All in all, an extremely good, well produced and enacted performance. No major hitches and, other than Macca, no wheeling out of the usual suspects. 10/10.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just downloaded the "Isles of Wonder" CD from itune, all the music from last night and which does NOT include Hey Jude

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Both wifie and I thought it was utterly superb. Was very, very impressed and surprised.

We had commentary from Barry Davies (who, in his own styles, got lots of things wrong) and was at one point not speaking at all and obviously getting it in the neck from the producers to do some commentary! Personally, I thought he got it about right - there was no need to speak when the pictures speak for themselves, or if when you do speak, you get it wrong anyway!

Enjoyed all of it and was particularly surprised when Mrs Lawrence helped carry the Olympic flag. Thought Seb's speech was spot on.

Mr Bean was not too bad, certainly did not make me cringe. The local channel cut to adverts as soon as the fireworks finished at the end, so we were spared Paul McCartney, which sounds like a blessing. Was also delighted that Mr Beckham did not have a prominent role.

All in all, an extremely good, well produced and enacted performance. No major hitches and, other than Macca, no wheeling out of the usual suspects. 10/10.

Having read Doreen Lawrence's book recently i was both surprised and pleased

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Encapsulated everything that is great about Britain. If you go onto national newspaper websites around the world, the majority loved it. Brilliant.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Totally brilliant. But that option not available so voted amazing.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I was one of the miserable sods who really couldn't be bothered with the Olympics. Having watched the opening ceremony, which i thought was fantastic (apart from Macca), I now want to watch as much of it as I can. I am now watching the beach vollyball. The blond Russian is fit btw.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I bloody loved it!! Superb. I had a few tears during it I can tell you!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I only watched the last 20 mins or so ... recorded the rest to watch this evening. Was underwhelmed with what I saw:
- who the hell were those people who ran around the stadium and then lit the flame - why?
- who were the people who "sponsored" them? What was that all about?
- Muhammed Ali should not have been dragged out for this. He is a wreck of a human being and should be kept out of the limelight. If you can justify his presence then Maggie should have been alongside him dribbling.
- Paul McCartney is, I would suggest, past his best.
- why the Arctic Monkeys? Absolutely nothing whatsoever special about their couple of songs.
- the ceremony was in ENGLAND for the LONDON olympics. The games originated in GREECE. So why all the French being spoken? Feck of froggies.

Sincerely hoping that the rest is better.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thought the beginning was a little cringey with all the mutton chops, and hated the bits with text messages coming up on the screen but apart from that it was ok. Would've been good if they could've got a few more of the bands they played actually on live, like muse.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I loved it in general, although I did think it sad to see one of my all time sporting heroes wheeled before the world in the state he's in now.

That said, the Rowan Atkinson bit, the forging of the 5 rings and the final cauldron were superb, as was the Queen/007 bit - shame Lizzie had a face like a smacked arse every time she was shown, mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here