Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic Swimmers

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I read in the paper a couple of weeks ago that our swimmers are the best prepared to leave these shores for many years. How come we've only won one bronze medal so far then?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
chips and gravy said:
I read in the paper a couple of weeks ago that our swimmers are the best prepared to leave these shores for many years. How come we've only won one bronze medal so far then?

perhaps that one bronze was the limit of our ambitions? haven't won a medal for 8 years i heard on the tv...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Rumour is the new Aussie super coach brought in to transform the team with ruthless training and iron discipline has actually screwed up, making them all peak too soon and arrive at the games knackered.

Melanie Marshall the other day was supposed to be in with a medal shout, but didn't even make the final and finished last in her heat with a time (2 mins 01.06 seconds) four seconds off her 2004 best.

"I'm absolutely exhausted," was her reason. "I don't know what went wrong, there was nothing left. To finish 16th is embarrassing for me and for everybody else, it's just awful.

"Maybe I trained too hard, if my training had gone better the last six weeks I would have had more confidence."

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Ding Dong ! said:
Our divers got a silver didn't they ?:clap:

I know - but I was talking about the swimming team, not the diving team

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
British swimming has improved dramatically. Don't let the fact we have only had one Bronze fool you.

The head honcho is now a guy called Bill Sweetman who is a no nonsense Australian who advocates hard work, a team ethic and a will to win. Before the games he threatened to quit unless work was started immediately on 8 X 50m swimming pools in Britain. It worked as some have been given the green light. The government have even set some money aside to help and facilities are on the way. In 3 or 4 Olympics time we will be seeing the major benefit of his legacy.

His influence has already been seen in the Commonwealth games where we picked up a stack of medals and in the world championship where we again picked up more than our fair share. You also have to remember that places like Australia, swimming is one of the most popular sports who everyone participates in. Here, it is somewhere between Darts and snooker in terms of popularity. Similarly, look at the facilities in Britain compared with say Spain. We have next to nothing - previous medal winners have had to practice whilst dodging 2 old ladies trying to keep their hair dry.

Anyway our best chances swim towards the end of the week. Look out for James Goddard who p!ssed up in his heat this morning and is ranked 2nd in the world in the 200m backstroke (final tomorrow I think). Also the women in 4 X 200m Freestyle could well pick up a medal. If memory serves I think the final is tonight.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Is it just me or are all this different types of swimming events just a bit excessive.

Freestyle I can see, but why slower strokes like butterfly and breaststroke.

Is there an olympic medal for running backwards? or on all fours?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Is there an olympic medal for running backwards? or on all fours?

Nope, but there is walking, which has got to be one of the most pointless sports ever: who can be fastest at being slow?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Because every Ozzie has a pool in there garden and they can swim without leaving home, a very big advantage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here