Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic Stadium must go to Orient ...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
... under Premier League rules anyway.

I heard Barry Hearn refer to this the other day, and couldn't quite believe it, so I've checked it out myself.

Sure enough, under Premier League rules regarding "Ground Criteria", you have section:

6. In considering whether to give any such consent (to change registered ground), the Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case and shall not consent unless reasonably satisfied that such consent:

6.1 would be consistent with the objects of the Company as set out in the Memorandum;
6.2 would be appropriate having in mind the relationship (if any) between the locality with which by its name or otherwise the applicant Club is traditionally associated and that in which such Club proposes to establish its ground;
6.3 would not adversely affect such Club’s Officials, Players, supporters, shareholders, sponsors and others having an interest in its activities;
6.4 would not have an adverse effect on Visiting Clubs;
6.5 would not adversely affect Clubs (or Football League clubs) having their registered grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location; and
6.6 would enhance the reputation of the League and promote the game of association football generally.

Now I'm not seriously suggesting that Spurs and West Ham have their applications rejected by the Premier League, regardless of what the government and the Olympic committee say, but it does make me wonder, why on EARTH the EPL go to such lengths to produce all of these rules, when they are simply not going to adhere to half of them.

No wonder they are being looked into as being a complete sham of a governing body.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Made me laugh that only now, after the decision has been made, that Hearn decides to write to Boris Johnson and David Cameron. I would have thought he should have done that months or even years ago when it first became apparent that premier league clubs would want the stadium

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Trust me, they have strict rules about the use of 'EPL' in their branding guidelines...

I'n not sure they do actually, as they seem to always refer to it as "The Premier League" which is appropriately arrogant, that we don't need to even distinguish it from any other countrys Premier League as we are talking about The Premier League.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I was talking to an Orient fan last night and he reckons the 4000 hard core supporters would look pretty stupid in a stadium of that size.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
that rule is poor. Definition of 'adversely' and 'immediate vicinity' can be left open to interpretation and its got solicitors eyes lighting up. How are Orient going to prove they will adversely affected? Are West Ham really moving into their immediate vicinity. I agree with Orient but they are going to have a tough tough time

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Made me laugh that only now, after the decision has been made, that Hearn decides to write to Boris Johnson and David Cameron. I would have thought he should have done that months or even years ago when it first became apparent that premier league clubs would want the stadium

I think the reality here is that he just wants some sort of pay-off. He clearly waited for the decision, knowing he could then shoot holes in the process, and hopefully get a sweetener of some sort tp go away quietly. Whether that means they will get offered a venue of a more suitable size, such as the hockey arena, or whether he gets a straight cash pay-out, we'll wait and see, but I doubt he ever thought they would / could or should get awarded it.

It just makes be laugh how much The Premier League make themselves out to be all powerful and in control, when teh reality is teh clubs do what they like, ignoring the rules and the "authorities" just go along with it all.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I was talking to an Orient fan last night and he reckons the 4000 hard core supporters would look pretty stupid in a stadium of that size.

Excuse me,but don't they look pretty stupid in a stadium of ANY size ?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I'n not sure they do actually, as they seem to always refer to it as "The Premier League" which is appropriately arrogant, that we don't need to even distinguish it from any other countrys Premier League as we are talking about The Premier League.

Er, yes. That was my point.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think the reality here is that he just wants some sort of pay-off. He clearly waited for the decision, knowing he could then shoot holes in the process, and hopefully get a sweetener of some sort tp go away quietly. Whether that means they will get offered a venue of a more suitable size, such as the hockey arena, or whether he gets a straight cash pay-out, we'll wait and see, but I doubt he ever thought they would / could or should get awarded it.

It just makes be laugh how much The Premier League make themselves out to be all powerful and in control, when teh reality is teh clubs do what they like, ignoring the rules and the "authorities" just go along with it all.

True. If I was an Orient fan I be furious over Hearn's lack of action. I think you are probably right and he is just looking for a bit of cash to keep him quiet. Orient will suffer though as a result while Hearn will have made a little bit of pocket money out of it

that rule is poor. Definition of 'adversely' and 'immediate vicinity' can be left open to interpretation and its got solicitors eyes lighting up. How are Orient going to prove they will adversely affected? Are West Ham really moving into their immediate vicinity. I agree with Orient but they are going to have a tough tough time

Disagree. It's a couple of streets away. That's immediate vicinity in anybody's eyes. They will have a tough time though because the PL can't be arsed about little clubs. Money, prestige and more money is about the limits of their interest

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage

Actually, he did. Well, not years ago, but he did query the same ruling in January when the clubs were putting forward their final proposals and said that if the decision went ahead, then he would be putting in major opposition to the plans.

CHARLES SALE: Leyton Orient chairman Barry Hearn bays over Olympic Stadium | Mail Online

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

This.

I can't see how Barry Hearn et al think that having a stadium that size with that small a fan base aren't thinking that it will lead them to financial ruin. It can't be financially viable surely?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Quite frankly THIS! Hearn had his opportunity to stake a claim very early on, especially when the original plan was to downsize the stadium to 25,000. He could have come up with a vision to use the stadium to grow Orient's fanbase using the new facility, but he couldn't be arsed. Hearn blew his chance when he had it. Despite Orient's protestations Stratford is a genuine catchment area for West Ham, so for them to move there is not that unreasonable.

The O's are already feeling squeeze from not only West Ham, but Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea too, that is just the way it is for a club of their size. I cannot see any of the hardcore Orient support defecting to West Ham. They will just have to be more inventive and imaginative in the way that they seek to expand their fanbase, or consolidate what they have.

Got to say I've been really pleased to see how well Slade and the old boys have done and I hope their cup exploits and playoff push gets the local community more involved in the club. Hearn not for the first time should look to himself before seeking to blame his problems on others, and O's fans should be pointing the finger at him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think this is a good example of the Premier League ignoring rules because this is a problem completely out of their control. The stadium is a national issue, and you can imagine the kerfuffle caused if the Premier League's default position was seen to be "We can't have anybody else moving to this brand new 80,000 stadium. That's Orient territory"

Their role (along with the FA) should be to placate Orient as best possible. I don't see why a little club with stretched resources should feel they need to take on the legal might of the powers that be on their own.

Given the current poorly planned state of affairs, West Ham moving to the Olympic stadium is the least worst option, which means moving onto Orient territory, so it should be made clear that Orient can move the hockey stadium by way of compensation.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This is a difficult one though given how close the two teams are already. I suspect the rule was introduced to prevent Tottenham for example from upping sticks and moving into luton airport.

But as these two teams are already only 4miles by road from each other and that will be reduced to 2.1miles by road if west ham move to the olympic stadium. That 1.9 miles in real terms is quite small (an average fit person could walk that in 30 mins). Their hinterlands already converge so how could Barry Hearn provide compelling evidence about adverse impact or indeed that 2 miles is immediate vicinity?

But I think we can guess what barry wants and that is to have the hockey stadium handed to him on a plate (potential up to 15k seats) as a pay off to keep quiet

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Disagree. It's a couple of streets away. That's immediate vicinity in anybody's eyes. They will have a tough time though because the PL can't be arsed about little clubs. Money, prestige and more money is about the limits of their interest

Now while I agree itis open to interpreation. According to this BBC Sport - Leyton Orient want 2012 Olympic Stadium decision delayed (and if I read it correctly) West Ham are currently 2.4 miles from the Stadium while Orient are 2.1 so West Ham are only moving .3 miles. But they are currently some 4 miles from Orient so getting much closer but a strong argument could be made that the difference is of no real consequence.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hearn and Orient had their oppurtunity to piggyback into a new stadium when it was being designed. they declined. they dont even want to go there. just dont want anyone else too.

the fanbase of Orient is already healthy enough despite 3 premier league teams within half a hours travel (assuming buses at that) and another 2 an hour away. i dont see how one moving a few hundred yards closer will make much impact. does this mean if West Ham wanted to move to a new stadium they would object on the same reasons? i doubt it, its only because its the Olypmic stadium and their is a perception Westham are getting something for nothing.

i have a lack of sympathy due to Hearn's years of relative silence on the matter, it doesn't seem to have been an issue until two or three weeks ago.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Do any of the major countries in Europe brand their leagues after the country they're in?

La Liga, La Ligue, Eredivisie etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here