Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic Legacies

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What should they be, in your opinion? I'll go for the following:

Keep lottery funding in place for sport.
Put some mechanisms in place to promote some of the minority sports
A proper review of where we are going wrong in swimming. Oh and football.

And most importantly, increase sporting participation in schools. Boris has suggested two hours minimum. I'd say more than that.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
A proper review of where we are going wrong in Swimming? I suggest swimming faster, is the answer

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe the private schools could allow the majority of kids in this country to use their facilities more than happens at the moment.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We've come third in the medal table. Why change anything?

Just because we have done VERY well in the Olympics, it doesn't mean that there is nothing wrong with Sport in this country.

You only have to look at how many fat/unfit kids there are to see that we have a problem with the total numbers that are not participating at all.

As far as the Olympics are concerned, I'd put Handball pretty high up the list. We have the Sports centres, just needs a bit of organising to get kids involved.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
We need to make sure that we do not stand still. We need to look at the sports we are doing well in like track cycling and learn from them. I would also say that more lottery funding needs to go in to grass roots sporting. Giving the likes of little Johnny the change to try his hand at a sport that he may otherwise not be able to do. So roadshows that visit schools and try and pick out talent at a young age so that they can be coached by the best coaches when they are able to learn the most.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I say, keep funding as it is. To increase more, stop unemployment benefits (for people who could work but choose not too) I dont mean for those made redundant who actively seek or those who are disabled and allocate this money to sport in school.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What should they be, in your opinion? I'll go for the following:

Keep lottery funding in place for sport.
Put some mechanisms in place to promote some of the minority sports
A proper review of where we are going wrong in swimming. Oh and football.

And most importantly, increase sporting participation in schools. Boris has suggested two hours minimum. I'd say more than that.

Premier League/Players' Greed

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Make the Olympic Stadium the new National Athletic Stadium, its is no way on earth suitable as a football ground IMO

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
which in turn will save millions in the nhs

And put loads of doctors and nurses out a job and thus increase the welfare bill.

joking btw

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Throw millions at wiff waff.

Would love to beat the Chinese at this.

Bizarrely, a few months ago that was Barry Hearn's next project - although it has gone a bit quiet on that front since. But he definitely had plans to give it the darts/pool/snooker/FishoMania stylee makeover.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Make the Olympic Stadium the new National Athletic Stadium, its is no way on earth suitable as a football ground IMO
No chance. Outside the Olympics, crowds of 60-80,000 won't turn up to athletics meets.

And I reckon it might work as a football stadium, you know.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
No chance. Outside the Olympics, crowds of 60-80,000 won't turn up to athletics meets.

And I reckon it might work as a football stadium, you know.

we have to deliver the world athletics champs in 2017 at that stadium. A reduced capacity of say 60k for that is acceptable (Beijing has it in 2015 at the Birds Nest). In the interim I like the idea of Essex County Cricket turning it into a multi sports venue with test match cricket and 1 day internationals/2020 with a reduced 60k capacity.

the only way that west ham can make a footbal stadium and keep athletics is movable stands on all 4 sides (realistically at withdean the sides were closer to the pitch but the ends were miles away), a new roof and therefore floodlights, adding facilities into the building rather than outside, hospitality etc I know they reckon they can do it but I think they're very optimistic

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Less sponsorship by companies that do very little to promote healthy eating, like McDonalds and Coca Cola for example.

Oh....

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would donate the 'temporary' venues to communities that lack decent sporting facilities. The Littlehampton Sportsdome was a temporary 10 year structure - it has been there nearly 30 years.

Certainly the Copper Box and the Basketball arena would make a fantastic facility for the children of a community that cannot afford to build their own facilities. I would ensure these facilities were run by local trusts - not profit making companies. Also, I would ensure the facilities are available for childrens sporting clubs, free to use, for a given amount of hours per week.

With care these structures can survive if cared for.

I have no idea how I would fund this plan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here