Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Olympic Closing Ceremony - The Official Thread***

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I enjoyed that. Would have been a bit more appropriate to concentrate on the young rather than all the old codgers though.

The young had their go at the start. They mimed.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Tonight was unfortunately what happens when the director is not inspired, unlike Danny Boyle with the Opening Ceremony. The first disappointing thing of the whole games, but you can't have everything...

This. The opening ceremony showed what you can do in the UK when you let someone with vision and talent do it.

The closing ceremony was ok but basically just a load of well known names 90% of whom had their hits 20+ years ago. Even Norman's tracks are about 15 years old and I guess he was representing more recent music.

All the fireworks were ace though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought on the whole it was brilliant and I sort of got what he was trying to convey....however this is now and excellent opportunity to put our historical artists out to seed.

Even from an oldie like me, Annie Lennox, Paul Mccartney, Elton John, The Who, George Michael, spice girls, Queen etc ...they have had their time and now is the time to move onwards.

I thought it was ticking along until Jessie and the other two came on and it turned up a gear. Jessie is a real talent and singing live really got the crowd going...FBS stiff was excellent and that 15/20 minutes was the best bit of the whole thing IMHO...followed very closely by a very brave Gary barlow.

Eric Idle was just surreal

I was amazed Tom Jones/Shirley bassey didnt come on though

All in all 8/10

I was very dissapointed we didnt get samba bands, and young ladies in skimpy bikinis but that is probably just me! Blokes with drums perched on their heads....riiiiight

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I think everyone is being way too negative. Ofcourse we would bring out our most famous artists from the past rather than a load of xfactor created bands.

Thought it was a great closing party. Good concert atmosphere. Love the queen bit...

A fantastic olympics. We are now GREAT Britain again :)

and fit girls:

image-3-for-olympic-gallery-last-gallery-56463362.jpg
:drool:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Shouldn't have sung Queen though.

I have heard other people having a go at Queen songs including the bloke who fronted Free, but there will never be a Freddie. I thought she actually had a bloody good go at it.

But its all about opinions

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think everyone is being way too negative. Ofcourse we would bring out our most famous artists from the past rather than a load of xfactor created bands.

Thought it was a great closing party. Good concert atmosphere. Love the queen bit...

A fantastic olympics. We are now GREAT Britain again :)

and fit girls:

image-3-for-olympic-gallery-last-gallery-56463362.jpg
:drool:

The cameras didn't linger NEARLY long enough, on those angels, for my liking. Dissappointing.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I have heard other people having a go at Queen songs including the bloke who fronted Free, but there will never be a Freddie. I thought she actually had a bloody good go at it.

But its all about opinions

I agree that there will never be another Freddie and I wish people would stop trying. The only person who MIGHT have the necessary combo of voice and presence is Robbie Williams.

Jessie J may have a half decent voice but she has no more business trying to emulate Freddie than I do trying to emulate Usain Bolt just because I know how to run.

It says a lot for the state of British music that the best voice on display last night (with the exception of Eric Idle, obviously) belonged to a man who has been dead for 20 years.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was a very entertaining closing ceremony, varied, random, some brilliant, some not quite so but overall very good. It was not as good as the opening ceremony but they were 2 completely different events. The first 20 minutes of the opening ceremony was without doubt the greatest piece of live theatre I have seen on TV in my lifetime with the industrial revolution to the joining of the rings. Nothing was ever going to compare to that.

All the singers did a decent job, Emelie Sande is a very good singer but according to some on here was shit, yeh singing live to over 80000 people and over 1 000 000 000 000 across the world with just a piano to accompany her, yeah your right , what shit :dunce:, Jessie J is also a very good singer getting the abuse on here for some reason. Every bit was pretty entertaining and overall for whole 17 days was 100 out of 100 so stop f***ing moaning.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
uncle spielberg

Personal taste is essentially what this is about. I personally find it
less than entertaining listening to covers of classics - and it doesn't get more
classic than Queen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I missed the start of the closing ceremony, but enjoyed what I saw of it (which was at least the last two hours). I completely missed the opening ceremony when it aired, but am now watching it on iplayer.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I caught the last two Hours of it, most of it was catching up on Twitter whilst walking along the Lewes Road. I thought the Tribute to John Lennon was fantastic but Jessie J singing We will Rock you, will haunt me for the rest of my life. I can't listen to that song now, without thinking her voice ruined it from start to finish. The fireworks were really impressive, did anyone shed a tear when the Flame was put out because I did!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here