Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oldest Brighton Programme You Have?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
mine dates from 10th september 1960 played against rotherham,the team as follows

1 hollins
2 mcnicol
3 little
4 bertolini
5 jennings
6 burtenshaw
7 tiddy
8 mcneill
9 curry
10 thorne
11 laverick

kick off 3.15 match ball sponsor,tamplin's ales,phoenix brewery

inside the programme it states there is room for 16,000 under cover,excursion to our next match southampton away by british rail only 10/6

oklahoma was on at the astoria and frankie vaughan at the hippodrome,you could book a ticket on brighton 23131 (only 5 digit phone numbers back then) now were a city!

we won this particular game 1-0,finished the season 16th,liverpool finished 3rd! we actually beat them that season at the goldstone 3-1

went out to burnley in the fa cup after a replay,but burnley did finish 4th in div 1

anyone remember any of these players,i recognise thorne,he's the local lad that banged in 5 against watford,but the others,apart from bertolini,i don't know much about them

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
got a few from 1955 somewhere. will dig them out at somepoint.

mine dates from 10th september 1960 played against rotherham,the team as follows

1 hollins
2 mcnicol
3 little
4 bertolini
5 jennings
6 burtenshaw
7 tiddy
8 mcneill
9 curry
10 thorne
11 laverick

kick off 3.15 match ball sponsor,tamplin's ales,phoenix brewery

inside the programme it states there is room for 16,000 under cover,excursion to our next match southampton away by british rail only 10/6

oklahoma was on at the astoria and frankie vaughan at the hippodrome,you could book a ticket on brighton 23131 (only 5 digit phone numbers back then) now were a city!

we won this particular game 1-0,finished the season 16th,liverpool finished 3rd! we actually beat them that season at the goldstone 3-1

went out to burnley in the fa cup after a replay,but burnley did finish 4th in div 1

anyone remember any of these players,i recognise thorne,he's the local lad that banged in 5 against watford,but the others,apart from bertolini,i don't know much about them

JCL !!!

7th November 1959, my first game. Albion Reserves v West Ham Reserves, although a few of the players were hardly reserves!

Albion 5 West Ham 1.

Attachments

• West Ham prog 7th Nov 1959.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 76

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
JCL !!!

7th November 1959, my first game. Albion Reserves v West Ham Reserves, although a few of the players were hardly reserves!

Albion 5 West Ham 1.

love that "personal note" to supporters in the south stand,please be careful with your matches and cigarettes,we've had a few small fires!!

cracking game at bristol rovers i see,we won 5-4!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm the JCL. Don't have any Albion programmes before the 1970s...

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
JCL !!!

Albion 5 West Ham 1.

i guess that one of those west ham youngsters was sir bobby moore,however did we win 5-1!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks for the scan of that reserve programme. Looks very basic and charming in its own way.

Does anyone know, roughly in what year did Albion programmes begin having little profiles of the opposition players and other features that we now know progs for?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Thanks for the scan of that reserve programme. Looks very basic and charming in its own way.

Does anyone know, roughly in what year did Albion programmes begin having little profiles of the opposition players and other features that we now know progs for?

the rotherham programme in question just has the mere basics,place of birth,height & weight,amazing how many rotherham players were local lads,6 of them were actually born in rotherham!

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
This is my oldest one though confession is i didn't attend said game as i bought it in Newcastle memorabilia shop close to the St James Park stadium, as i wanted a programme as close to the date i was born and this was the only one from that year:albion2:

no 2.jpg

no3.jpg

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Fck me just seen my dad in that prog he then went on to westham and played with moore hurst ect in that ressie team he never made it liked birds and bookies to much

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

This kind of stuff started to come in during the 1960s. Prior to then, programmes were pretty primative compared to what we know now.

Albion actually had a 16 page programme for much of the early 1950s but this comprised mainly adverts.

Photographs only became widespread in the 1960s and it was not until the 70s that we had any colour in the programme.

All this will be gloriously revealed when my website launches in a few weeks. Watch this space!!!!

I do not own this programme (I wish) but this is the Albion programme collector's Holy Grail

charityshieldp1699x933.jpg

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Does she want to sell them?

Serious question

Well Ian if I could find the fuckers, maybe some. They are there up somewhere. My Grandad collected them and non - league team sheets.

I can't find my stash of 1983 Cup Final Argus's either. Ther old dear is adamant she has thrown nothing out.

My Sunday Special was 'mint' last time I saw it!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This kind of stuff started to come in during the 1960s. Prior to then, programmes were pretty primative compared to what we know now.

Albion actually had a 16 page programme for much of the early 1950s but this comprised mainly adverts.

Photographs only became widespread in the 1960s and it was not until the 70s that we had any colour in the programme.

All this will be gloriously revealed when my website launches in a few weeks. Watch this space!!!!

I do not own this programme (I wish) but this is the Albion programme collector's Holy Grail

charityshieldp1699x933.jpg

Oh, I can't wait! I am sure I will learn lots more about the history of our programmes when your site launches. I'm very interested in how programmes were put together before page layout programmes on the computer - will there be stuff on that? How did they cheekily superimpose Michael Robinson in the team photo in the 1980/81 programmes? Was it really that much cheaper to print every single programme with Brian Horton on the front in 1977/78 than have a different colour photo for each one? Do the plates created for printing the programmes still survive from back in the day?

Would love to know the answers to these questions and more!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Well Ian if I could find the fuckers, maybe some. They are there up somewhere. My Grandad collected them and non - league team sheets.

I can't find my stash of 1983 Cup Final Argus's either. Ther old dear is adamant she has thrown nothing out.

My Sunday Special was 'mint' last time I saw it!

Well come on Man!!

Get up in that loft!!!

Cheers Tim

:thumbsup:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
1944/45 Away to Brentford in the Football League South Cup is the oldest I have, the paper it's printed on isn't much different in texture from modern kitchen roll.
I'd love to get my hands on the charity shield programme...or even a reproduction of it!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Oh, I can't wait! I am sure I will learn lots more about the history of our programmes when your site launches. I'm very interested in how programmes were put together before page layout programmes on the computer - will there be stuff on that? How did they cheekily superimpose Michael Robinson in the team photo in the 1980/81 programmes? Was it really that much cheaper to print every single programme with Brian Horton on the front in 1977/78 than have a different colour photo for each one? Do the plates created for printing the programmes still survive from back in the day?

Would love to know the answers to these questions and more!

The answers to the technical stuff will be in my book - at the very early stages of planning at the moment but again, watch this space!!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the programmes with the football league review inside were really good

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The answers to the technical stuff will be in my book - at the very early stages of planning at the moment but again, watch this space!!

Thank you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here