Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old football programmes

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Just had to move an old box of memorabilia in the loft. It's full of old Albion programmes from 1976 onwards (10p each and really crap programmes except they feature a certain Mr Ward!) through to the all-colour ones from the old first division days of the early 80's. Just looking on the front and seeing names like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, etc got me salivating for those days again. For the first time in decades I think there's a real chance of getting there again in the next few years, hopefully before I'm too old to make it to the games! Anyone else got boxes of old programmes they hardly ever look at? Get them out and start dreaming again! :albion1: :amex:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hiney is the programme saddo

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Wasn't there meant to be a project to get them all scanned it?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Very many BHACHS members have large programme collections.I have a hoard that includes every Albion league programme from the 57/8 season through to 69/70,every League Cup game we have ever played,large numbers of our FA cup programmes,every Simod/Auto Windows/Paint Pot trophy game,large numbers of away games throughout the 50's,every away programme from the 70's.

And yes,I do read and re-read them,and no, I don't think my collection is the largest,in fact I believe it to be quite modest.

I accept that I am a saddo Albion anorak...........so what ?

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
i am also a programme sado, i have three boxes full in my room in scotland, my prized possesion is the 1983 cup final programme which i managed to buy for a mere pound in GLASGOW at the barras market :D

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The home programmes of the 81/2 and 82/3 season are beautiful artefacts.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
hiney is the programme saddo

How VERY dare you!!

There's nothing sad about collecting programmes.

They are an amazing record of our club and I absolutely LOVE them.

As my good friend Mr Wombat points out, there are loads of Albion collectors out there, some of whom have absolutely MASSIVE collections.

Membership of the Collectors & Historians Society is £10 a year. You get the chance to chat to other collectors at the quarterly meetings as well as receiving a newsletter full of all sorts of genuinely interesting stuff.

I'm sure the museum at Falmer will have examples of some really old and rare programmes.

As far as the Holy Grail of Albion programmes is concerned, this is probably it:

charityshieldp1699x933.jpg

I don't own this btw and shudder to think how much the owner paid.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
just looked at all my old programmes got a gold diggers charity one signed by elton john and dennis waterman must be worth a fortune ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've got not one but TWO programmes from the ManU-Benfica European Cup final for some reason. No idea how or why. Also huge numbers of Dunfermline programmes from something called the Fairs Cup. Again, completely baffling. Especially as I supported Partick Thistle. Got both legs of the epic Celtic-Leeds European Cup semi-final and just about every Scotland-England game going for a period of about twenty years. Loads of programmes from the Goldstone, obviously, and many bits of papier mache from Withdean. Pretty random collection but pretty impressive in its own quiet way. IMHO, like.

Last edited:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I have loads of programmes but my star one is Brighton away to Tottenham Hotspur in the South Eastern League 4th November 1911...100 years old when at the Amex,it is framed with a photo of the Goldstone the same year,to help with my season ticket I intend to sell it at the first Historians Auction at the Amex
"We are on the Gus Bus"

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I have got boxes and boxes full of programmes from the 60s right through to present day - the early ones are mainly Chelsea and other London clubs. Lots of my early Albion ones have disappeared.
I really don't know what to do with them - I don't want to throw them away but I don't ever look at them.
Mind you I am a hoarder - like a lot of men I think

I also have a reletively large collection of Albion progs spanning six decades, just sitting in a box tucked away sadly now. I don't really buy them now but usually pick up a few here or there. BTW If anyone wants to swap any for the Stockport home (last game of season, won 1-0) can you get back to me, It was my son's first match when he was 7 weeks old, i want it for his 'box' They sold out, believe it or not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here