Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OKsomone must know when was the last time.....

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

..Platform 4 at Preston Park Station was in use.............I remember getting off on it during the fairly hot summer of 1983. (oh the memories taking a bird down the rockery)

Maybe it was somthing to do with the Brighton signal box fire anyway any specific year and month would appreciate info if any one knows!!!

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
..Platform 4 at Preston Park Station was in use.............I remember getting off on it during the fairly hot summer of 1983. (oh the memories taking a bird down the rockery)

Maybe it was somthing to do with the Brighton signal box fire anyway any specific year and month would appreciate info if any one knows!!!

I know the whole area was relaid not long after the signalbox fire but cant help you on specific dates, I'm sure there used to be an old relief line from preston park to brighton that was taken out at the same time, That would be a useful thing to have back again.

I once travelled on this train to Preston Park (late eighties/early nineties). I can't remember if we parked up on Platform 4, but it's quite possible.

rj1503-33103b.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There is quite often an empty train parked on Platform 4 when the 0647 from Brighton stops there.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The April 1985 resignalling scheme knocked out Platform 4 at Preston Park as well as Platform 8 at Brighton

Platform 8 is still in regular use though (trains go from there to Lewes, Eastbourne and Seaford).

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I've also seen it used as a layby for empty trains when I've got a train earlier than my usual 7:37.

Imagine my excitement a few weeks ago when my return journey used platform 3 to stop at.

That was the bestest ever.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think platform 4 is the disused track adjacent to Station Rd/Claremont Terrace, now overgrown, as opposed to the one of the other side of PP station, isn't it or am I going mad?

:shrug: I mean the one on the side of the Station pub. Is that platform 1 ?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Tim, if you ever took a bird down the Rockery in 83, she must have been drugged!! I'd be mightily surprised if you ever 'took' a bird before about 1990 :D

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Imagine my excitement a few weeks ago when my return journey used platform 3 to stop at.

That was the bestest ever.

Comparable to my excitement the first time I used Platform Zero at Edinburgh Haymarket, following the station refurb last year.

None of this "Platform 1A" nonsense, let's just go for a surrealist "Platform 0" and confuse the heck out of all the tourists come festival time!:clap2:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

:shrug: as well.

I have never really paid attention to the platform numbers, even though I used to commute from there.

There are currently three active lines and as you say that one by the pub has been used recently, so I assumed Tim was talking about a fourth and that being the other side. Hmmm.... We need an answer goddamn it!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yes it is - that's used quite a lot.

I'd also like to know who decided in the early 70s that big, proper real old station buildings like this we'ren't better than the grotty little bus shelters there now:
preston_park_station.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This has to be one of the most enthralling threads of the year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here