Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ok lets tidy up a couple of transfer FACTS.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
1, The wages you WERE being paid has no relevance to you future wages, if you are out of contract.

2, The club not wishing to pay X for a player, doesn't mean they won't pay XY & Z for a different player in the same position.

any others

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1, The wages you WERE being paid has no relevance to you future wages, if you are out of contract.

2, The club not wishing to pay X for a player, doesn't mean they won't pay XY & Z for a different player in the same position.

any others

Agreed on 2, but with regards to 1, it does change the player's EXPECTATIONS when coming to a new club. NO player is going to go from £80,000 a week to £6,000 a week.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
3, The attractiveness of a club to a player depends only on what can be offered NOW - facilities, crowds, wages, future opportunities, style of play, etc... Not what it might have offered ten years ago, a weighted average of the last five seasons, or any other rubbish.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed on 2, but with regards to 1, it does change the player's EXPECTATIONS when coming to a new club. NO player is going to go from £80,000 a week to £6,000 a week.
True.
But no player will be prepared to earn nothing, from July onwards, on a matter of principle.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
True.
But no player will be prepared to earn nothing, from July onwards, on a matter of principle.

thing is 'Out of contract' might mean 'no longer wanted', as you are implying, but might equally mean 'unable to agree terms' (because his present club are not prepared to up his current £20k per week), ergo, he is turning down their offer, to move to somebody who WILL offer MORE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
thing is 'Out of contract' might mean 'no longer wanted', as you are implying, but might equally mean 'unable to agree terms' (because his present club are not prepared to up his current £20k per week), ergo, he is turning down their offer, to move to somebody who WILL offer MORE.
Once again very true.
But I doubt any player in that situation has been mentioned on NSC.
Certainly not from the Prem downwards, maybe from L1 up, but then obviously the 20k is no longer an issue.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Once again very true.
But I doubt any player in that situation has been mentioned on NSC.
Certainly not from the Prem downwards, maybe from L1 up, but then obviously the 20k is no longer an issue.

I think they have. Tom Heaton, for one.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think they have. Tom Heaton, for one.

But he has spent most of the season behind Bennett at Cardiff, so perhaps at 26 he feels he needs a club whereby he'll be the first choice. Turning down a contract is not always about money. Even if it is, maybe Cardiff are prepared to pay £x as a back-up, but as first choice he would get more than that with us, without it being excessive.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Absolutely!!! I nearly started a thread on purely this point a week or so ago. It's so tiresome when someone will always poo poo a decent player with a post that simply says "wages"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here