Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ok chaps, I'll say this slowly for the hard of thinking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am not doing that just pointing out the present squad is good and has depth but not as strong, IMHO as that which won promotion to the 1st Div. How many of the current team or squad would have got into that team.. Not Many, I am actually struggling to think of any as their counterpart was probably a better player. CMS over Ward Bridcutt over Horton!!
I think you are doing our current defence a disservice.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Always impossible when we try to do these comparisons of football from decades past to now. Different standard of football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think you are doing our current defence a disservice.

I do not think so. Our defence at the moment is a very capable unit but who do you think would have got into the side that won promotion to the old 1st Division. Not only defenders but other positions as well. It must be remembered that all of this is based on individual opinions which often vary quite a lot.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My screensaver is the 1979 team photo...

Which would get into the 16 men for Wednesday night?

Definites: Lawrenson, Foster, Moseley
Highly Probables: Ward, Gregory, Horton
Decent Possibles: Poskett, Chivers, Rollings, Ryan, Sayer
Probably Nots: Maybank, Steele, Williams, Clark, O'Sullivan
Development Squad: Stille, Kerslake

Ward and Horton would definitely get into this side.

Don't forget, for those of us old enough to remember, when we played at this level (under Mullery) we used to regularly thrash teams by 4 or 5 goals. Think 3-0 is our best this season.

But as I said earlier, this squad will hopefully be the best ever, and soon

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do not think so. Our defence at the moment is a very capable unit but who do you think would have got into the side that won promotion to the old 1st Division. Not only defenders but other positions as well. It must be remembered that all of this is based on individual opinions which often vary quite a lot.
I realised after posting and walking out the door, it was a fairly glib comment that wouldn't hold up.

As good a unit as we have now nobody, can hold a candle to Lawro et al, a glance at his trophy cabinet says it all.

The point I should have made but didn't, concerns GG.
Who seems to be a little under the radar (does Scotland have that many quality centre backs) and who not only could walk into most if not all Albion teams, but seems to get the best from all who play next to him.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
WE

HAVE

OUR

BEST

SQUAD

EVER

I like everyone else am scared by this fact.
Every single one of us is in completely uncharted water.
Our manager can put 11 players on the pitch and know there are at least 11 more who could do the job instead.

So Vicente ISN'T out of favour, KLL ISN'T being a tw@t, Noone ISN'T paying for it for supporting liverpool.
Yeah great squad but this great squad struggled against the bottom team on saturday:D

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
I have been supporting the team since the early 1970s and in my opinion this current team on their day is the best I have ever seen not in achievements but style of play and potential.

we have had some better individuals who would walk straight into this team but as I said on their day the best I have ever seen the home game against a very good Ipswich we were unstoppable

am I alone in thinking that we were great with the ball against Ipswich but suspect without it, esp first half. Could have been 2 down quite easily.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Surely the BEST ever was the squad/team that finished 13th in the TOP FLIGHT?

While the 1st XI under Mike Bailey was clearly better, I really don't remember there being much depth to the squad. I've never known us have a strong team, where I could honestly swap out 10 or 11 players and still be excited by the team that we are putting out.

81/82, a "squad" wasn't necessary. 1 sub, and you had to committ GBH to get a red card. Liverpool won the title having used 15 players all season (either that season, or one around then). These days 15 isn't enough for a full team and subs.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
am I alone in thinking that we were great with the ball against Ipswich but suspect without it, esp first half. Could have been 2 down quite easily.

Yes you are. I can't think of a single moment when they could have "quite easily" scored. El-Abd and Greer had them so completely in their pockets that they never looked like getting a sniff. But maybe that was just me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
???

would be interested to hear you elaborate on that one

Sure. We dominated Europe through Liverpool when it was the proper European Cup, for the winners of each league. There was no gulf between the top and bottom half of the top division as per now, so the games were naturally more competitive, nowadays there are 6 teams and you could argue only 2 this year.

We beat Liverpool at Anfield, the European Champions (Forest) - is that really likely to happen in the Prem now? With the exception of Rooney and perhaps Evra, could any player from the current Man U team that would get into the Liverpool team from then (incidentally I really hated Liverpool in the 80s).

All an opinion of course

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
could any player from the current Man U team that would get into the Liverpool team from then (incidentally I really hated Liverpool in the 80s).
But how many of that Liverpool team could get in the current Utd team.
I'd say even Hansen and Lawro, would struggle due to the speed of play, off ball movement, fitness etc.

Horses for courses.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My screensaver is the 1979 team photo...

Which would get into the 16 men for Wednesday night?

Definites: Lawrenson, Foster, Moseley
Highly Probables: Ward, Gregory, Horton
Decent Possibles: Poskett, Chivers, Rollings, Ryan, Sayer
Probably Nots: Maybank, Steele, Williams, Clark, O'Sullivan
Development Squad: Stille, Kerslake

Blimey, where did you get that lovely photo from?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'd say even Hansen and Lawro, would struggle due to the speed of play, off ball movement, fitness etc.

Horses for courses.
That point's just silly isn't it? Class is class and obviously if they played today they be fitter & fit into the current speed of play. Going by that logic Pele or Cruyff would be too slow to make the grade now. (I get & agree with your original point about not sniping at, or inventing conspiricy theories about players for not making the team though btw)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought the whole idea of these pointless hypothetical discussions, was to not bring the players up to current standards but to play as is.
I pulled those 2 as class is permanent and they play in a position that can be played in the head as well.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I thought the whole idea of these pointless hypothetical discussions, was to not bring the players up to current standards but to play as is.
I pulled those 2 as class is permanent and they play in a position that can be played in the head as well.
That's more pointless than pointless! Better diet & level's of fitness don't make the whole Stoke squad better than Pele, Cruyff, Maradona...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Horses for courses.

Hansen and Lawro struggle, you sir are having a laugh, they would walk into any of todays teams

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here