Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oi , Roz ! Be careful when taking your snaps...

Dandyman

In London village.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/21/photographer-films-anti-terror-arrest

Man held in police station for eight hours after taking pictures of Christmas celebrations in Accrington

Bob Patefield used his video camera to record the moment police stopped him from taking photographs of Accrington town centre. He shows how the police claims he was engaging in anti-social behaviour led to his arrest Link to this video Police questioned an amateur photographer under anti-terrorist legislation and later arrested him, claiming pictures he was taking in a Lancashire town were "suspicious" and constituted "antisocial behaviour".

Footage recorded on a video camera by Bob Patefield, a former paramedic, shows how police approached him and a fellow photography enthusiast in Accrington town centre. They were told they were being questioned under the Terrorism Act.

Senior police officers last year promised to scale back the use of anti-terrorist legislation such as Section 44 of the act, which deals with photographers, after a series of high-profile cases in which photographers said they had been harassed by police for taking innocuous images in the street.

Patefield and his friend declined to give their details, as they are entitled to under the act. The police then appeared to change tack, saying the way the men were taking images constituted "antisocial behaviour". Patefield, who is in his 40s, was stopped three times before finally being arrested.

He and his friend were taking photographs of Christmas festivities on 19 December, after attending a photography exhibition. The last images on his camera before he was stopped show a picture of a Santa Claus, people in fancy dress and a pipe band marching through the town.

He turned on his video camera the moment he was approached by a police community support officer (PCSO). In the footage, she said: "Because of the Terrorism Act and everything in the country, we need to get everyone's details who is taking pictures of the town."

Patefield declined to give his details and, after asking if he was free to go, walked away. However the PCSO and a police officer stopped the men in another part of the town. This time, the police officer repeatedly asked him to stop filming her and said his photography was "suspicious" and "possibly antisocial".

Patefield asked if the officer had any "reasonable, articulable suspicion" to justify him giving his details.

She replied: "I believe your behaviour was quite suspicious in the manner in which you were taking photographs in the town centre … I'm suspicious in why you were taking those pictures.

"I'm an officer of the law, and I'm requiring you, because I believe your behaviour to be of a suspicious nature, and of possibly antisocial [nature] … I can take your details just to ascertain that everything is OK."

Patefield and his friend maintained that they did not want to disclose their details. They were stopped a third and final time when returning to their car. This time the officer was accompanied by an acting sergeant. "Under law, fine, we can ask for your details – we've got no powers," he said. "However, due to the fact that we believe you were involved in antisocial behaviour, ie taking photographs … then we do have a power under [the Police Reform Act] to ask for your name and address, and for you to provide it. If you don't, then you may be arrested."

There is a section of that act that compels a member of the public to give their details if a police officer suspects them of antisocial activity.

The sergeant also alluded to complaints from the public and, turning to Patefield, added: "I'm led to believe you've got a bit of insight into the law. Do you work in the field?"

Patefield was arrested for refusing to give his details, while his friend, who gave in, walked free. Patefield was held for eight hours and released without charge.

In a statement, Lancashire police said they and members of the public were "concerned about the way in which [Patefield] was using his camera". It said police felt they had "no choice" but to arrest him because he was refusing to co-operate.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You normally need permission and a licence to do so in stations. You usually see people do so in St Pancras or Victoria, but they usually have a permit thing

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Good for them for standing up to the Police doing a perfectly lawful activity.
Shame one of them caved in and let his mate do an 8 hour stint by himself.

I hope the detained guy has retained a decent lawyer, should be worth a few quid.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I had the nice jobsworth guards accusing me of being a terrorist at Leeds on Saturday
I took a photo of the huge billboard advertising the 2010 Christmas Panto because I found it amusing they were advertising it in February

the woman then tried to grab the camera out of my hand saying I could be aiding terrorists

I still got said photo so I was the WINNER

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You normally need permission and a licence to do so in stations. You usually see people do so in St Pancras or Victoria, but they usually have a permit thing

i dont beleive you do. this is a insidious little power grab going on with rail authorities, councils and such trying to stop people lawfully taking photogrpahs for no apparent reason other than paranoia. there have been grannies stopped for taking photos of a playground for a community website. people are getting stopped in the street and challenged to hand over their cameras. nice for tourism.

the police heirarchy/home office have issued guidence that there is no change in the law and there is not anything stopping peopl from taking photos in public. but still these stories keep popping up, usually abusing the Terrorism act. if they invoke the terrorism act, they should arrest and detain you, not tell you to hand over you camera/film/memory sitck which they have no pwer to do.

We need to have this repealed as all it does is infringe on everyday peoples business, while doing f*** all for terrorism (the old IRA era law seem to be quite enough). with this law in place, they are winning.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Its all a bit silly isnt it? had he just given his details the OB would have checked his details on whatever anti-terrorist database they hold, he would then have been told to be careful what he is filming and been on his way.

Unless he has something to hide that is.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its all a bit silly isnt it? had he just given his details the OB would have checked his details on whatever anti-terrorist database they hold, he would then have been told to be careful what he is filming and been on his way.

i do hope you are taking the piss.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

you serious?

Nice avatar by the way

Dandyman

In London village.

The PCSO clearly does not understand the law and the OB are abusing it.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Agreed, the twat was just being akward for the sake of it. attention seeking, "look at me", and wanted his 5 mins of fame, well he got it, along with 8 hours in the cell.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Agreed, the twat was just being akward for the sake of it. attention seeking, "look at me", and wanted his 5 mins of fame, well he got it, along with 8 hours in the cell.

Why shouldn't he stand up for his rights when the police have no power to stop someone taking photographs in a public place?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The Police officers involved should remember that Accrington is pretty f***ing low down the list of Jihadi terror tagets.

There is absolutely f*** all of military/infrastructural/cultural significance anywhere near that yard.

In fact, Al Quaeda could happily wipe the gaff off the face of the earth without anyone noticing

Those busies must have been bored out of their minds to take issue with this prick.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why shouldn't he stand up for his rights when the police have no power to stop someone taking photographs in a public place?

Completely agreed, he as every right to do that, but it was the way he dealt with the police, that aroused their suspicions in a "I’m telling you anything way", had he explained he was an amateur photographer, and gave his name there would not have been a problem.
He was just looking to make an issue of it unnecessarily.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Completely agreed, he as every right to do that, but it was the way he dealt with the police, that aroused their suspicions in a "I’m telling you anything way", had he explained he was an amateur photographer, and gave his name there would not have been a problem.
He was just looking to make an issue of it unnecessarily.

I see where you're coming from, if it weren't for the police looking for troble when there was none he wouldn't have had to tell them anything in the first place.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I see where you're coming from, if it weren't for the police looking for troble when there was none he wouldn't have had to tell them anything in the first place.

Why do you feel the police were looking for trouble ? As i understand it, they were contacted by members of the public who voice concerns of two men taking photographs, the followed it and asked perfectly reasonable questions,
If they had turned up in a meat wagon mobbed handed then I would be the first to criticise, but they didn't they sent a non powered officer to ask questions, and only when he got stoppy did they get an officer with arresting powers.

His mate who gave details went on his way without any hassle.

The police are not exactly top of my Christmas card list, but to be fair I don’t see that did anything wrong.

john baldock

Feb 18, 2009
gloucester
here is my five pence worth i am a pro photographer and belong to the RPS and the SWPP and their addvice to me is carry my membership cards at all times even if taking wedding pictures in a public place,which i do and to be as helpfull as you can if stopped,but if you feel the officer becomes to heavy handed take his badge no and report him/her thats all i can do !!Untill this poxy law gets sorted photographers will be stopped,my personal take is dont like it but taking pictures is my life so spending 8 hours locked up when taking wedding pics is not an option end of.:rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here