Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O'Callaghan should NEVER have been sent off

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just watched O'Callaghan's dismissal on The Championship - the Carlisle bloke rugby tackled his feet! WTF was going on there?! Never was that a red.

And Carlisle's first goal came from a blatant handball. We were done.

:rant:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I posted elsewhere that O'Callaghan should have fallen over when the Carlisle player was holding his foot instead of trying to kick free. It was a very harsh red imo.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I posted elsewhere that O'Callaghan should have fallen over when the Carlisle player was holding his foot instead of trying to kick free. It was a very harsh red imo.

From where I was sitting, George stamped on the Carlisle player as he went past him.....and then he grabbed George,s foot. Clear sending off in my eyes.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Difficult to see that much detail from H block, but Wilkins was extremely upset by it and it was in front of the dugouts.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Difficult to see that much detail from H block, but Wilkins was extremely upset by it and it was in front of the dugouts.

I agree that Carlisle "did a job on him ", prior to the sending off, but it,s still a staight red card if you stamp on a player.
A great pity.......his skills will be sorely missed in the three games he,s banned.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
was right behind this and he deserved to go. The TV doesnt show him running 15 yards to make a needless foul , it only shows the afters. He stamped and raised his foot after......doesnt have to be contact , just intent.
Did us a favour anyway. Fraser needs to step up now though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
From where I was sitting, George stamped on the Carlisle player as he went past him.....and then he grabbed George,s foot. Clear sending off in my eyes.

Exactly. Watch it closely and that's exactly what the TV coverage shows.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck

Agreed.

My immediate reaction was "O'Callaghan is off".

Stamping, kicking, raising hands, whether contact is made or not, these days intent is enough for a red card.

If it was an opposition player, I wonder how many people on here would be saying he deserved to go.

We're really going to miss him for the three games he's out, although I think Fraser is capable of coming in and doing a job.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Watch it again or go to Specsavers.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Watch it again or go to Specsavers.

I have (done both!). And the TV coverage makes it look like he's simply shaking his foot to get it out of the Carlisle bloke's hand!

If there was a big build-up to the rumble that wasn't shown on the telly, then fairplay. But I wasn't there yesterday and from the TV I thought it looked harsh.

stig

I hate Tim and Matty B
Mar 27, 2007
I was also right behind it. The Carlisle player was hanging on to O'calls like a humping dog, and George has just stamped his foot into his stomach, hard to argue. I did think the Carlisle leg humper should have got a yellow card though.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I have (done both!). And the TV coverage makes it look like he's simply shaking his foot to get it out of the Carlisle bloke's hand!

If there was a big build-up to the rumble that wasn't shown on the telly, then fairplay. But I wasn't there yesterday and from the TV I thought it looked harsh.

I guess you missed the stamp just before that then? A player of his experience should also know the second you start behaving like that the ref is always likely to show you a red.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh get real. I can't even believe we're bothering to debate it.
A clear red from my view in D-block at the time, and the TV replay does NOTHING to absolve him. I called him a TWAT at the time, and I wholeheartedly stand by that assertion. With the team 2-1 down, that was the last thing we needed.

It seems out of character and I hope we still sign him. But that was an idiotic reaction, and no amount of "build up" can justify it. Now he's gone and f***ed our midfield for 3 important games.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A clear red from my view in D-block at the time, and the TV replay does NOTHING to absolve him. I called him a TWAT at the time, and I wholeheartedly stand by that assertion. With the team 2-1 down, that was the last thing we needed.

It seems out of character and I hope we still sign him. But that was an idiotic reaction, and no amount of "build up" can justify it. Now he's gone and f***ed our midfield for 3 important games.
You don't have faith in Tommy Fraser then?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You don't have faith in Tommy Fraser then?
Fraser has done well for us, but he's a different type of player.
Carving out a point or three away at the likes of Hartlepool, his tenacity and discipline (positionally) is ideal.

At home against half the crud in this division we need that extra creativity that O'Callaghan brings. That said, games away at Torquay and Donnie, with a home against Forest, I'm sure Fraser will step up to the plate and do a job for us.

But whatever way you slice it, O'Callaghans moment of idiocy has cut down our options.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto

As did I, it was stupid. The Carlisle player probably grabbed his leg trying to avoid getting stamped on again. I lost a lot of respect for O'Callaghan yesterday.
I can't believe how biased (or blind) some Albion fans are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here