Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway's Battle

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I know this has been talked about alot, but the BBC have now picked up on it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4811026.stm

:bowdown:

Shame only 10 clubs are backing the initiative.

Football captain's reading battle

Charlie Oatway said he had to cheat when signing autographs
A Brighton footballer who could not read his own fan mail until he was in his 30s has spoken about the experience of learning to read and write.

Brighton and Hove Albion captain Charlie Oatway used to have to cheat. He said: "In the job I do, when people ask me to sign best wishes to a certain name. I normally got a friend to write and I would just sign my name."

The Seagulls are one of 10 football clubs backing a government adult learning initiative.

The midfielder said: "It wasn't the general public I was worried about.

"It was the football world itself. I'm on the pitch with 11 other players and it gets a little bit niggly at times, so it's something I didn't want thrown up in my face."

"I'm 32 years of age and I'm going back to do it," he said.

"People may be in their early 20s, it doesn't matter, or their 30s, or 40s.

"Whatever age, you can still go back and do it, and if you want to achieve something in life you've got to always have goals."

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
He's got big bollocks to come out and admit to this nationally, at least he is doing something about it, and the club are supporting him. Good voice for Adult Learning Initiative, pity only 10 clubs out of 92 are putting themselves up for this.....

Have to watch out or he'll be on here next!

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
Big respect from me as well for being public about it.

Sick as I am, I have to say I found it a little funny that he said he's out on the pitch with 11 other players though! Maths is not a strong point either!

Ringer

Nov 26, 2005
Brighton
McShane79 said:
Big respect from me as well for being public about it.

Sick as I am, I have to say I found it a little funny that he said he's out on the pitch with 11 other players though! Maths is not a strong point either!

I think he probably meant the opposition players.

I do remember he spoke about this a few years ago though? ???
Fair play to him though.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
:clap:

I think it would do a lot of good, having someone like him come out and openly announce that he goes to adult literacy classes. I'm sure people don't address this because they feel ashamed to admit it, scared of what people would say to them, I know I'd be reluctant to do anything about it for that very reason.

BUT, to think that Charlie is in the same boat and has come out and done something about it, really would encourage me to do the same. It's the feeling that you are not on your own.

Good on you Charlie, I bet this does more good than you could realise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here