Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
Sorry to go on about it, love Charlie and all that, but he's had his day. So out of his depth tonight.
Surely everyone can see that. Its only being kind.
Let him be a squad/sub but get him off.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He will gaurentee you fight but was shown up today.

That said he was up against Sidwell who is probably the best player in the Championship.

Id still pop for Hammond and Nicolas on Saturday.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i didnt think he did too badly tonight *awaits slating*

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Oatway did better tonight than Chippy who was non existent.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I didn't think he was very good tonight but over the past few months he has generally done well i feel, certainly better than many (myself included) thought he would. However, we do have a classy central midfielder on the bench called Alexis Nicolas who's hardly had a sniff recently, surely time to give him a few games?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
samparish said:
I didn't think he was very good tonight but over the past few months he has generally done well i feel, certainly better than many (myself included) thought he would. However, we do have a classy central midfielder on the bench called Alexis Nicolas who's hardly had a sniff recently, surely time to give him a few games?

i would through nicloas in inplace of chippy - he needs a kick up the arse to realise that he has to fight for his place

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Scotty M said:
i would through nicloas in inplace of chippy - he needs a kick up the arse to realise that he has to fight for his place

Thing there is that Chippy is a far more talented footballer than Oatway, and on any given day is far more likely to play well than Charlie is. I think tonight was just one of those bad games everybody has as far as he's concerned - remember they were up against Sidwell who is superb, the ginger :censored:

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
I agree Chippy wasn't on fire tonight, but no where near as bad as Oatway. To be fair to both, neither play well when they are central midfield together. Chippy's best games came when he sat deep. Probably best to get Hammond central then he can bomb on (he's wasted wide) Oatway is part of a glorious past but time to let go. (And relaxxxxxx). God I can't get over how crap he was tonight.

Scotty M said:
i didnt think he did too badly tonight *awaits slating*

Of course he didn't, along with Reid he was most consistent player in midfield tonight. People seem to have amnesia about the good things he does in the game. He played one of our best forward passes of the night in finding Leon in space early on. He had a couple of cheeky backheels that gave opportunities for crosses. His pass completion rate was excellent, just the one bad one right at the end and one occasion earlier when he didn't get a call and was caught from behind. It was not one of his great games, but he was one who can hold his head up tonight. There is absolutely ZERO chance of him not playing against Crewe.

There is a bit more concern over Chippy because he gave the ball away about half a dozen times tonight. But McGhee knows team confidence is not built by headless-chicken selection policies so an eyebrow would be raised here if he faced the drop.

I'll remind you of the last time we dropped Oatway and Carpenter. It was last season just before we played Crewe and we went with Reid and Nicolas in midfield, with Hammond coming on after half-time. Result? We got murdered and humiliated in midfield, and Charlie and Chippy were back the next game, never to lose their places for the rest of the season. To paraphrase Marx, History repeats itself against Crewe, first as tragedy and then as farce? No thanks.

A small boast - I'd give Reid and Charlie 7s, Hammond 6 and Chippy 5.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Id have given Reid 6, Charlie 5, Hammond 5 and Chippie 4. That may seem harsh but they can all play MUCH better and I think sometimes we are a little bias in our marking on NSC.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't know where all this 'Nicolas is wonderful' is coming from.
People who didn't see him against Plymouth last season. He was worse than Oatway or Chippy was tonight.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yorkie said:
I don't know where all this 'Nicolas is wonderful' is coming from.
People who didn't see him against Plymouth last season. He was worse than Oatway or Chippy was tonight.

Fair enough. Good point. Lets never pick him again.

I think it is coming from the beginning of last season when he was one of our better players.

He cant be any worse then Oatway or Carpenter were tonight.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Richie Morris said:
Fair enough. Good point. Lets never pick him again.

that is not what I said

I thought Oatway did a job last night and was ok. Not his best game but certainly more effective than Chippy. The whole team was very average, I don't think it's fair to single out Charlie. I would like to see Hammond and Oatway in the centre against Crewe.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I must sit close to LI, as from where I was Oatway seemed to be one of the better players out there. His passing looked really good and he was getting stuck in as per usual.
But then again, I heard people commenting that Dodd and skippy had good games, so I guess people must see different things out there.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I thought Oatway and Chippy both had good games. If anything Hammond was non existent by being played on the wing, he is better in the middle with someone like Chippy or Oatway to cover him while he bombs forward.

We really had no width either last nite.

Really McGhee has a Sven type problem. He wants to play Chippy, Hammond and Oatway in the same team and as you know three into two dont go.

Therefore one of them has to be dropped, thankfully McGhee gets paid to make those decisions as none of them deserve to be dropped.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Oatway is fine when he does the simple stuff, looks a bit out of his depth when he tries to be too clever, but that is true of a lot of our players. I thought last night Oatway was OK, Chippy had a bit of a stinker and it is does not help when we play 2 central midfielders out wide. Still with our lack of decent wingers the wide positions are always going to be an issue.

What was noticeable was how much quicker Readings midfield was to ours. I guess that was a combination of general quality and age, both Chippy and Oatway are 30 somethings now and at some point we are going to have to phase them out.

Although the all knowing, partonising sage will tell me different, I would be more comfortable with a 3 man midfield, with 2 sitting deep and Hammond allowed to get forward, but we shall see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here