Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oatway in New Year??

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
According to Skysports.com

Brighton captain Charlie Oatway has had a successful operation to remove a metal plate from his ankle.

The midfielder has endured a frustrating past 12 months due to complications to a broken ankle he suffered against QPR on Boxing Day.

Oatway is making good progress as he steps up his rehabilitation and is now hopeful of making a return in the New Year.

"It's been a complete success and the surgeon is very happy with the state of the joint which went under repair earlier in the year," confirmed club physio Malcolm Stuart.

"He's now resting and recovering before stepping up his rehabilitation."

Oatway Nears Return

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yep agree with that. A welcome addition to the squad but probably not first team - injuries and suspensions permitting.

larus

I'm not knocking the guy, his passion for the team not the fact that he tries, but I didn't think he was good enough before and I don't want to see him playing for the first team again.

Who would you leave out for him?
Hammond?
El-Abd when fit?
Cox?
Bowditch/John/Fraser?

His distribution isn't very good, which is one very big plus point about the current side; the speed with which we break. He may be good in the dressing room at firing peopl up, but I don't think he's got the ability to add anything to the current set-up.

Thank you Charlie, but it's either time to hang-up your boots or move to a new club. His era is now over, the future is the younger players, with the exception of Guy, Paul Reid and possibly Mayo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
His experience in midfield with a naturally competitive nature and youngsters to do his running cannot be overestimated. If he has made a full recovery I can see him back in the team, especially with the inevitable suspensions and injuries.

Can he regain the fitness necessary is the big question mark imo, as there is no doubting his value fully fit in a young team.

Last edited:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
larus said:
I'm not knocking the guy, his passion for the team not the fact that he tries, but I didn't think he was good enough before and I don't want to see him playing for the first team again.

Who would you leave out for him?
Hammond?
El-Abd when fit?
Cox?
Bowditch/John/Fraser?

His distribution isn't very good, which is one very big plus point about the current side; the speed with which we break. He may be good in the dressing room at firing peopl up, but I don't think he's got the ability to add anything to the current set-up.

Thank you Charlie, but it's either time to hang-up your boots or move to a new club. His era is now over, the future is the younger players, with the exception of Guy, Paul Reid and possibly Mayo.

I'd rather have Oatway in the squad than Mayo.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
This is slightly old news, but hopeful nonetheless. Charlie's absence in the second half of last season was one of the major reasons why we got relegated, and he'll be a very useful player to have available again for those games where we need to tough it out.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was thinking this the other day.

Who would you leave out...and the answer is Oatway on the 1st team's current form.

Welcome back, though Charlie. Always enjoyed watching you play.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Curious Orange said:
This is slightly old news, but hopeful nonetheless. Charlie's absence in the second half of last season was one of the major reasons why we got relegated, and he'll be a very useful player to have available again for those games where we need to tough it out.

Absoultely, can see him coming off the bench with us 1-0 up but under the kosch (sp ?) trying to break down the oppositions attacks. Can't seem him starting though...

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
El-Abd is a much younger version of Oatway (imho) as in sit them just in front of the back 4 to break up the oppistion attack, and because of age fitness etc cant see him being in the starting 11, but to keep morale up in the dressing room and to coach reserves/youth I couldnt think of a better person

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
adammicheal said:
El-Abd is a much younger version of Oatway (imho) as in sit them just in front of the back 4 to break up the oppistion attack, and because of age fitness etc cant see him being in the starting 11, but to keep morale up in the dressing room and to coach reserves/youth I couldnt think of a better person

also to encourage and gee up the young players in the first team

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm. Much as I'm sure Oatway is undoubtedly the funniest man alive (we certainly get told often enough), is that REALLY a reason to bring him straight back into the squad, the moment he's fit?

I mean, I know team spirit is important, but they seem to be doing perfectly well so far, the team are (mostly) a group of lads of the same age group, who've grown up together etc, and who presumably understand what makes each other tick. Who's to say they need any more "team spirit"? If it's a laugh they need, stick a DVD on, for goodness sake.

Unlike a lot of people, I have no particular issue with Oatway either way, however I don't think he merits a place in the side ahead of any of the current match day squad- except maybe Frutos on one of his particularly ineffective afternoons. And to say he should be brought back in because of his effect on team morale just sounds ridiculous.

I think people get too caught up in this old morale thing with Oatway, No doubt someone will tell me he's a combination of Bob Hope, Ricky Gervais, Peter Kay and Ronnie Barker combined, but I don't see that being of the slightest consequence to the lads in our regular starting eleven, at least not those under 30.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Surely new year will come too soon for Oatway. But he is recovering well for sure and he will be useful to have around the side, even if he can't get in ahead of El-Abd and Hammond in central midfield.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
he may not have been the best player in the championship but he was a great leader and was able to get the team 'together'

i still it was due to missing him we went down and look forward to seeing him back

Oatway has made a career out of proving his detractors wrong and he will do so again - he was in the form of his life when he got injured. Welcome back Charlie, we could have done with your presence in quite a few games this season, people seem to be under the illusion that we have won every game and are sitting in the automatic promotion spots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here