Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/Topic Boxing or MMA?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Did an auction last night at the Charmendean Centre, Worthing last night at the MMA event.

As a big boxing fan I went with an open mind, and, at times, as exciting as it was with a great atmosphere, it still has to be the noble art for me.

MMA seems to get bogged down with all the wrestling mullarkey.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Did an auction last night at the Charmendean Centre, Worthing last night at the MMA event.

As a big boxing fan I went with an open mind, and, at times, as exciting as it was with a great atmosphere, it still has to be the noble art for me.

MMA seems to get bogged down with all the wrestling mullarkey.

Agreed Ian, not the same for me either. Far too much rolling around!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Much prefer MDMA.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I prefer wrestling.

For me boxing is lots of punching with occasional hugging, which I find repetitive. MMA is often lying on the ground or holding against a fence with a few punches.

When it's good, a wrestling match can take you on the sort of emotional journey that fans of Bristol Rovers and Southend went on yesterday. It can get you to suspend disbelief, can impress you with acts of psuedo-violent athleticism and stunt work, and can tell an artistic story (like ballet).

Another level is added if the booking of the feud is good enough, adding that extra level of emotional investment, much like when Brighton play Palace, with the history of our rivalry adding a spice to the football.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
MMA is overtaken at the moment with ground submission experts - they have no interest in keeping a fight on it's feet because their striking ability is weak. Lots of MMA at the moment revolves around trying to gain the mount and get the joint locks for submissions -but then again there are some stunning fighters which use strikes and kicks well and try to avoid the ground game. Funnily enough, former WWE guy Brock Lesnar has transferred recently and is scaring the shit out of people. He beat Randy Couture but I wouldn't read too much into that as Couture has a good reputation but mainly a great history. Lesnar is also a freak - huge but fast and seems to be able to combine strikes with groundwork. When MMA is kept off the ground it can be great, bringing in the best of Muay Thai and Boxing styles, but when the BJJ comes in it just becomes a battle of guards/half guards and attempted locks and tap outs - not too exciting. Then again, some boxing matches seem to go the same way these days!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
On the subject of boxing what is NSC view of Haye will he beat Ruiz and then either or both of the Klitchko brothers. I think he will beat Ruiz and Vladamir but should avoid Vitali.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On the subject of boxing what is NSC view of Haye will he beat Ruiz and then either or both of the Klitchko brothers. I think he will beat Ruiz and Vladamir but should avoid Vitali.

He will beat Ruiz and would beat Wladimir. If Corrie Sanders and Lamon Brewster can beat Wladimir, then Haye sure as hell could.

A fight with Vitali would be tougher IMO, but I think Haye could win it. He's a smarter fighter than a lot of people give him credit for and I think he could use his speed to outbox Vitali like he did against Valuev, although obviously Vitali isn't quite that big.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here