Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Will their financial problems affect Greece's tourist industry?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As someone who goes to Greece at least once a year, and has done for close on 30 years, it's an interesting one.

Last year saw the lowest number of visitors for YEARS from the UK - a combination of the ressession and the crap exchange rate.

Coupled with the fact that there were less Germans travelling it meant there were plenty of empty rooms.

The tourist industry in most parts of Greece had a very poor year, and we've managed to get rooms in three places this coming summer for less than we paid 2 years ago.

The awful exchange rate does make it expensive though, although it does depend very much on what part of Greece you travel to.

The Greeks strike easily, even more than the French, and have an incredibly bloated Public Sector. They are in for some tough times.

Most Greeks I speak to would have the Drachma back tomorrow, although I can't see that happening.

Lots of Brits have bought houses/villas in places like Crete, where summer goes on till the end of October - I'm not sure what effect this current situation will have on the value of their 'Place in the Sun?'

The Greeks strike easily, even more than the French, and have an incredibly bloated Public Sector. They are in for some tough times.

I couldn't believe it when I read what they were striking about yesterday. Pay freezes, only 1 in 5 people being replaced and 2 years added to the retirement age (over the next 5 years). Welcome to the real world! At least it's not like the Irish public sector where pay cuts have been extremely dramatic.

Most Greeks I speak to would have the Drachma back tomorrow, although I can't see that happening.

It almost certainly won't happen now that the Germans and French have agreed a deal to bail them out (if required). If the Greeks had defaulted though, all bets would have been off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here