Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Thomson Airlines have ruined my summer holiday

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
We booked and paid for a flight to Montenegro this summer with Thomson Airlines. Once we had received flights confirmations we booked our villa and paid £800, and paid another £110 for Gatwick Hotel and airport parking.

We got a letter from Thomson airlines today saying that they have "reviewed their flights" and decided not to fly to Montenegro any more. They offered us an "alternative flight" to Croatia instead, three days earlier than our original flight (i.e different country, different day).

They have refused to compensate us for costs of villa, hotel, airport parking or any other costs.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Are they allowed to do that? sounds a bit dodgy to me that they can just say, no were not flying there any more, deal with it. Wouldn't surprise me though

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Can you get another flight?
As it's a major change they should give you a full refund.

We will of course offer you an alternative flight, where possible. However, if the alternative flight offer is not suitable then a full refund will be given on application, including all fees.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Did you pay by c/c or d/c?
Phone them up and see what they say.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Did you pay by c/c or d/c?
Phone them up and see what they say.

Montenegro villa was bank transfer. We had protection from Owners Direct if the villa owners pulled out, but not if we pull out because we can't get there.
It's not villa owner's fault of course, and she is perfectly entitled to keep our money.

Thomson have caused the problem, but they won't accept responsiblity.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Yes, we'll get our flight money back but we spent more on the villa and the hotel which we cannot get to now.

As they will be refunding your flight money, I very much doubt there is anything else you can do I'm afraid. You might want to seek independent advice (e.g. Trading Standards or CAB) to make sure though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can you get a flight from Croatia to Montenegro to coincide with your villa booking ? As you only booked flights with Thomson they can say they are not liable for reimbursing accomodation and other costs which will probably be written in the very small print on your contract.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Montenegro villa was bank transfer. We had protection from Owners Direct if the villa owners pulled out, but not if we pull out because we can't get there.

The bank transfer sector i'm afraid was the fatal flaw, a lesson to everyone, always pay by credit card for everything over £100 when dealing with businesses if you have that option.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
The bank transfer sector i'm afraid was the fatal flaw, a lesson to everyone, always pay by credit card for everything over £100 when dealing with businesses if you have that option.

It wouldn't have made any difference in this instance. You can only claim from the credit card company if the supplier of the goods or services can be held liable themselves.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It wouldn't have made any difference in this instance. You can only claim from the credit card company if the supplier of the goods or services can be held liable themselves.

Would Thomson have not been held liable as it effectively toppled the house of cards?

What about holiday insurance, would that be liable?

I agree though that a visit to CAB or similar would be a good step.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
How about contacting the villa owner, explain the situation and ask if you can move the dates slightly, then try and find a way to get there by some other means.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Would Thomson have not been held liable as it effectively toppled the house of cards?

What about holiday insurance, would that be liable?

I agree though that a visit to CAB or similar would be a good step.

Cannot say for sure I have not seen the paperwork, but as seagullsovergrimsby has said, it is very likely that it would state in the terms and conditions that they cannot be held liable for any consequential losses in the event of any alteration/cancellation of flights.

CAB would be able to clarify this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here